1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bookshelfs or towers for fronts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by db-bass, Sep 25, 2005.

1. db-bass

db-bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received a new panasonic xr55 receiver, two Athena AS-B1's, and 1 Athena AS-C1 center. I am looking for fronts now but am not sure if it is worth spending the $350/pair for the AS-F1's. DO you guys think buying two more AS-B1's for fronts will have the sound capability (or real close) to the AS-F1s or should i just spend the money? I dont really care about bass cuz i will be getting an HSU subwoofer. thanks a bunch everybody :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't think that they sell Athena in the UK so you may not get any opinions here.

3. petercom

petercom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends on whether you want to play your CDs in stereo as well as using this as an AV system.

The AS-F1s use an 8 inch bass unit which will provide more dynamic performance due to the better efficiency if you want to play in stereo.

Otherwise, if you are always playing in 5 or 6 channel, either keep the B1s for the front and use the bipole R1s for rear speakers on the wall, or buy another pair of B1s for the rear. The advantage for the latter is that you have matched speakers all round using the same drive units, so timbre matching is going to be good. The advantage of R1s is that they will provide a good spread of sound around the rear of the room for all listeners - as they still use the same bass unit timbre matching should still be pretty good.

4. db-bass

db-bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks i live in the US so getting Athenas arent a problem. im not sure if ill listen to music in 2.1 or 5.1, which is typically better? i have never heard music in 5.1, but i know the new pannasonic xr55 that i just received can play music in 5.1.