1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bookshelfs for under £100, Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by vaz.01, Mar 10, 2005.

1. vaz.01

vaz.01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello peepz,

Im a newbie to all this. I have got a cambridge audio a1 amplifier and am looking for budget bookshelfs that give off the most bass.any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try second hand far more bang per buck.....also the position and mounting are important how will they be mounted/located

3. vaz.01

vaz.01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will either wall mount them or get speaker stands, i was thinking either the mission m71i or gale gold monitor.

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would go slightly further and say "position and mounting are very important"

I think the Mission M71's are staggeringly good speakers for roughly £60, they do need decent stands though

5. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
  6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would personally get a 2nd hand pair of B&W DM601s.

I still haven't heard any other budget bookshelf pump out as much bass and be able to be driven so loud. should **** all over those Missions, Eltax and Tannoys if you like your bass.

Contrary to Londondecca, I think expensive stands are a complete waste of money for this gear, though wall mounting is a bad idea - just get whatever cheap and cheerful stands you can afford

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    There was an interesting demo many years ago where a speaker was hidden and the audience asked to identify the speaker. Most went for a mid range (£500ish) large speaker due to the very deep and impressive bass. It was in fact a Whafdale Diamond on some fancy and very expensive stand.

If your speakers are not held correctly, you are losing information. I am not suggesting that someone spends £300 on stands for a £80 speaker but in my experience they are an important part of the system.

Where you place the speakers is of greater importance but that is another issue