Bookshelf Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by narkewoody, Feb 3, 2009.

1. narkewoody

narkewoody
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a pair of B&W CM1 and want to positioning correctly to get out its best. Now I have some questions listed below:

1. Should I move it closer to rear wall or far from it? I heard speakers should go apart from rear wall to create better sound stage (depth), but for bookshelf I also heard that these small speakers should go closer to the rear wall since they get little bass compared to floorstands. So which opinion applies to my CM1?

2. Is the sound reflected from side wall a better thing or a bad thing? Usually I heard people say that speakers should apart from side walls at least xx cm's, but how about if I put my bookshelf very far away from side walls? The reason why I ask this is because my room is a rectangle with its width dimension longer than its depth.

3. For my CM1, how much long the two speakers should be put apart from each other?

Thanks in advance.

-
    narke

2. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    It all depends is this a 7.1 set up or a 5.1 set up?

If it is 5.1 they should be about 1 foot behind the veiwing position and slightly pointing inwards and about 3 foot above the veiwing position.

That will give the best all round sound stage. You dont really need to worry about them having bass as surrounds are just for ambient noise designed to "surround" you in sound and dont gey many bass frequencies going to them in the first place.

It doesnt really make a difference if they are close to the wall or not, not many people will be able to tell the difference sometimes it can make it sound more boomy but if you want a bass emphasis on the rears this could be a good thing.

How far apart they should be is also dependent on a few things, if you have no choice but to have them on either side of your couch this could cause them to be too loud, but then all you do it go into the amo settings and the volume down on the rears, or if they are far apart turn the volume up on the rears, if they are going to be a bout a foot apart then thats a different story.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. narkewoody

narkewoody
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am talking about 2.0 system for listening music only :)