Bookshelf speakers with built in upfiring atmos

PeakyPaul

"Again, I’d really recommend you looking at used for speakers. It might help you jump up a range of two within a particular brand for the same money."

Not just range or two but possible flagship, celestikn A2, A3, a4c, a5r went for £1000

That's about £6500 worth of speakers. Even if they are cosmetically signed up but structurally and mechanically good...

The A1 will outclass those bookshelf speakers
Yes I agree but the A10 or Dali speakers used are still prob stretching my budget.

I am looking at spending around £500 - £700 for front and centre speakers

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Hoku Wow! now that's a reply, thank you, gonna be honest and say some of what you said went a little over my head lol

To answer the question these speakers will be used almost exclusively for TV/movies the only "music" we will listen to would be on Sky arts on music dvd/blu ray.

As you say I am looking as "lifestyle" type speakers but could possibly compromise on the front's/centre if they weren't "too" big.

I wouldn't have room to put the DALI Oberon 1 as rears in the future. Could you par these with Fazon for the rear's?
Oberon has nice finishes example full white can look quite tasty and modern. They are very compact, but you really need to hear them as they can be too bright for some tastes. The Opticon range should be smoother sounding and more detailed so it would be better choice for long term, sadly it`s rather costy.

The centre channel Opticon Vokal is also smaller. Check the Oberon Vokal dimensions as i´m not sure will it go past wife.

Here is clip so you see the size of Oberon 1;

Hoku

@Hoku Wow! now that's a reply, thank you, gonna be honest and say some of what you said went a little over my head lol

To answer the question these speakers will be used almost exclusively for TV/movies the only "music" we will listen to would be on Sky arts on music dvd/blu ray.

As you say I am looking as "lifestyle" type speakers but could possibly compromise on the front's/centre if they weren't "too" big.

I wouldn't have room to put the DALI Oberon 1 as rears in the future. Could you par these with Fazon for the rear's?
It’s less critical to match the front 3 speakers with the rear two surround speakers.

Yes, it’s preferable if all the drivers are identical, but my front three DALI’s match very well with my Monitor Audio rear speakers.

DALI do make on wall speakers, such as the Oberon on-walls…

Link to DALI Oberon on-wall…

But I think the Monitor Audio Bronze FX do have an advantage because of their bi/dipole arrangement, which has two tweeters firing toward each side for a more diffuse sound effect. It helps you not to be able to localise the sound but it provides more of a wall of sound.

Link to Monitor Audio Bronze FX

MA having been making FX speakers for some years now, so they do often come up on the used market. Look for Bronze FX or Silver FX. They come in quite a range of wood or lacquer finishes that should suit most interiors, and as I say, they’re quite a bit shallower than conventional box speakers.

As your use is primarily TV / movies, then maybe the front three aren’t going to be quite as demanding as if you wanted high performance for 2.0 channel stereo, but nevertheless, for the midrange performance, I’d still prefer a small bookshelf speaker over a smaller lifestyle product, if you think you can get away with it domestically.

But I wouldn’t have any qualms about having a DALI Oberon 1/Oberon Vokal front three with MA Bronze FX rears.

The tonal balance of MA’s and DALI’s tweeters aren’t massively different.

But as Gasp indicates, do listen before you buy. I’m basing my comments based on the DALI’s I own and have heard (Rubicon, Callisto and their little DALI Katch), but I haven’t heard the Oberons, so yes, so check that their tonal balance is right for you.

As an alternative, maybe consider Monitor Audio Bronze 50 / Bronze centre.

PeakyPaul

@Hoku @Gasp3621 ahh guys thank you so much for your input and replys/links.

Think I'm going to try and get to listen to these somewhere, only local place is Richer Sounds and I'm not sure what the'll stock so might have to travel a little further to a Hi-Fi store that has these to listen too.

Hoku

@Hoku @Gasp3621 ahh guys thank you so much for your input and replys/links.

Think I'm going to try and get to listen to these somewhere, only local place is Richer Sounds and I'm not sure what the'll stock so might have to travel a little further to a Hi-Fi store that has these to listen too.
I’ve always had first class service from RS over the years from the two stores near me.

As long as you ring ahead, and avoid busy times if possible, you’ll have chance for a proper demo where you can try a few options. If you can, take some media that you’re familiar with. And although music is not your first consideration, do check out their musical performance as it can perhaps more easily show up weaknesses in the system.

And be open to the dealer’s suggestions too. They may have a stock of speakers that could tick all your boxes that we haven’t heard personally, assuming you’re not keen on buying used. You could always consider used for your rear speakers: it’s less critical frankly than the front three.

Let us know how you get on. It’s always helpful for other prospective punters to read how demos have gone and what your impressions are of comparable speaker packages

And to bear in mind for the future, BK Electronics do a great range of subwoofers that are exceptional value. Check out their EBay shop too where you can save even more on B grade stock. But before looking at subwoofers you really want to decide on your front three first.

And I most certainly bow to @Gasp3621’s superior knowledge when it comes to subs!

Jester1066

forget about what the wife wants. this is how dolby atmos and surround sound works. its not about personal preferences either when it comes to speaker placements etc. after all this is surround sound not a lack of sound!

also dont get small speakers. 5.25 inch speaker drivers at a minium for quality sound!
Jeez - I bet your single! (Certainly not married!).... 🤣

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
1655985164755.jpeg

xavster

So I'm now looking at 5.1 speakers that maybe I can buy separately and build the system over time.

The Monitor Audio A10's have really caught my eye along with the Dali's but I would have to buy these used as they are very expensive (for me)
View attachment 1711027

Other options could be,

Bowers & Wilkins M-1's
View attachment 1711028

Q Acoustics 7000i
View attachment 1711030

Or again if I could find them used, Dali Fazon
View attachment 1711031

All of these seem to be available separately so I could buy them as funds allowed.

Any thoughts on which of these are best?
Just to counter all those saying “don’t get small speakers”, I run a set of B and W M1s in a 3.6m x 3.2m dedicated room, supported by an old REL Strata 2 sub. It sounds fantastic. I cross them over at 100hz and there is absolutely no lack of dynamics and they can be run at silly volumes with no signs of stress. Have a listen. Only thing I would say is if you get a demo, just check the settings on the amp at the time - in my case cheeky salesman was trying to push me towards some larger Monitor Audio speakers so decided to run the B and Ws set to “large”. Obviously they sounded bass shy with that setting. I queried the lack of bass and got him to change the setting and it transformed them.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Just to counter all those saying “don’t get small speakers”, I run a set of B and W M1s in a 3.6m x 3.2m dedicated room, supported by an old REL Strata 2 sub. It sounds fantastic. I cross them over at 100hz and there is absolutely no lack of dynamics and they can be run at silly volumes with no signs of stress. Have a listen. Only thing I would say is if you get a demo, just check the settings on the amp at the time - in my case cheeky salesman was trying to push me towards some larger Monitor Audio speakers so decided to run the B and Ws set to “large”. Obviously they sounded bass shy with that setting. I queried the lack of bass and got him to change the setting and it transformed them.

That a small room so you can get away with smaller speakers. I use q acoustic 3010i and similar to your b&w 4" driver. They're bassy for the size but fall way behind in dynamics to my other bigger speakers Celestion A1

Smaller speakers will require a sub for music and definitely movies but Celestion A1 don't need a sub for music, for movies I'd still use one.

PeakyPaul

Well I decided to go with Monitor Audio Apex A10's for the front, A40 for the centre and Mass G2 for the rear.

These are all fairly small speakers and similar to the M1's but I have to say for me their size and power is absolutely great. the Mass speakers for the rear are obviously small but there is a nice solid weight to them and for surround sound they do the job very well.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom