Question Bookshelf speakers in “top” configuration instead of inceiling speakers for Atmos

JuMu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am using 4 bookshelf speakers as “heights” with my 7.1.4 configuration. I used “heights” in order to use them for 3D Auro also. But I have noticed that I don’t have enough 3D Auro content and I think Atmos is the main thing for me.

So, I am planning to use my 4 bookshelf speakers in “top” configuration, instead of buying new in ceiling speakers.

I am going to renew my home and I can place them as top speakers.

My question is; will I have better sound with in ceiling speakers? Is there any negative thing in using bookshelfs instead of in ceilings? (Except for installation difficulties:)

Thank you.

I use four bookshelf speakers in a 7.1.4 configuration but set to Front Height and Top Middle. All speakers are used for Atmos and it sounds great.

Whilst the Top Middles aren't used for Auro3D it does mean that the Surround Backs then come back into play instead (7.1.2). I found this layout to work better in my room than a Front and Rear Height configuration for Atmos (7.1.4) and Auro3D (5.1.4).

I use four bookshelf speakers in a 7.1.4 configuration but set to Front Height and Top Middle. All speakers are used for Atmos and it sounds great.

Whilst the Top Middles aren't used for Auro3D it does mean that the Surround Backs then come back into play instead (7.1.2). I found this layout to work better in my room than a Front and Rear Height configuration for Atmos (7.1.4) and Auro3D (5.1.4).

Are you using in ceiling speakers or bookshelf for top middles?

So, you installed them as heights but set them
as middles in AVR.
I also installed them as heights. But I am planning to directly mount them in ceiling, exactly like in ceiling speakers.

So, you installed them as heights but set them
as middles in AVR.
I also installed them as heights. But I am planning to directly mount them in ceiling, exactly like in ceiling speakers.

Yes. I did have them on the rear wall and set as Rear Heights previously but moved them forward and changed them to Top Middle.

Would you not be better installing proper ceiling speakers if you're going to cut into your ceiling?

Yes. I did have them on the rear wall and set as Rear Heights previously but moved them forward and changed them to Top Middle.

Would you not be better installing proper ceiling speakers if you're going to cut into your ceiling?

I already have 4 extra bookshelf speakers and I don’t wanna throw them.

Moreover many in ceiling speakers have worse sound quality than bookshelves which is in same price category.

And I read that people who use in ceilings are making custom boxes for in ceiling speakers in order not to disturb upstairs. If I need to build a box around them, I think it’s better to use bookshelf speakers.

BTW, I am planning to use 4 Q Acoustics 3010s.

FYI I have just installed 4 x Kef E301 speakers on to my ceiling as Front and Rear Height in Denon AVR. Works very well.
Had the advantage for me that I did not want to make large round holes in my ceiling and then have the problem of putting wires into ceiling etc shortly before I plan to sell the house.

FYI I have just installed 4 x Kef E301 speakers on to my ceiling as Front and Rear Height in Denon AVR. Works very well.
Had the advantage for me that I did not want to make large round holes in my ceiling and then have the problem of putting wires into ceiling etc shortly before I plan to sell the house.

I have the same configuration. But I want my speakers in “top” configuration.

Sorry for my ignorance here but what do you mean by "Top" configuration as opposed to "Height". Are you referring to physical position on the ceiling/wall or configuration in the AV Amp?
According to my Denon 4400 manual (p33) mine are actually Top Front and Top Rear as they are mounted on the ceiling. Confusingly these are both referred to as "Height" on the Denon Amp Assign settings setup (p221) whether on the ceiling or high on the wall.
So the difference between "Top" and "Height" is purely a physical location definition and the AV Amp settings treats both in the same way.
No trying to lecture - this is mainly for my benefit - you probably know all this.
As mentioned above with this definition mine are Top Front and Top Rear i.e. ceiling mounted.

Last edited:
C74B61D7-76E0-440B-A52C-4279EFAA6839.jpeg
C74B61D7-76E0-440B-A52C-4279EFAA6839.jpeg
DDBEA073-4E2D-4477-8A1E-9F7D51C8C08E.jpeg
Sorry for my ignorance here but what do you mean by "Top" configuration as opposed to "Height". Are you referring to physical position on the ceiling/wall or configuration in the AV Amp?
According to my Denon 4400 manual (p33) mine are actually Top Front and Top Rear as they are mounted on the ceiling. Confusingly these are both referred to as "Height" on the Denon Amp Assign settings setup (p221) whether on the ceiling or high on the wall.
So the difference between "Top" and "Height" is purely a physical location definition and the AV Amp settings treats both in the same way.
No trying to lecture - this is mainly for my benefit - you probably know all this.
As mentioned above with this definition mine are Top Front and Top Rear i.e. ceiling mounted.

Yes you are right. I am referring to physical position. I think I couldn’t explain clearly because of my poor English :)

It’s very interesting that your Denon 4400 doesn’t support top configuration in amp assign settings. I have Marantz 7012, which is almost same with your Denon. And I have “top” settings in amp assign settings.

Do you use ceiling speakers or bookshelf?

My bad - actually it does have that setting and I never noticed it. I will try it and see if I notice any difference.
I have speakers attached to the ceiling (see attached photo). The photo just shows the front 2 of the 4.
The wires are not properly hidden as I am hoping to move house soon so its not worth the trouble.

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_182653a.jpg
    IMG_20181030_182653a.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,189
My bad - actually it does have that setting and I never noticed it. I will try it and see if I notice any difference.
I have speakers attached to the ceiling (see attached photo). The photo just shows the front 2 of the 4.
The wires are not properly hidden as I am hoping to move house soon so its not worth the trouble.

I like your room :)
I saw that you didn’t point your ceiling speakers downward. You did it on purpose or your ceiling bracelets didn’t let you do so?

Pretty much any speaker performs best when it is pointing more or less directly at the listeners head. Off-axis the frequency response of speakers drops as frequency increases. I see no difference with ceiling mounted speakers and that is one potential weakness of in-ceiling speakers, although they often have tweeters that can be angled which helps minimise this effect.
My front ones are fairly close to pointing at my head in my viewing position - see attached photo with the camera positioned where my head is (although camera pointing towards right speaker otherwise it is no in the pic!). The E301 leg is on a fairly flexible ball joint but it does not let unlimited movement.
My rear ones are unfortunately more off axis due to where they are placed although still not at all bad and is not quite a important for speakers behind you.

Attachments

• IMG_20181031_092218.jpg
    IMG_20181031_092218.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,036
Last edited:
Pretty much any speaker performs best when it is pointing more or less directly at the listeners head. Off-axis the frequency response of speakers drops as frequency increases. I see no difference with ceiling mounted speakers and that is one potential weakness of in-ceiling speakers, although they often have tweeters that can be angled which helps minimise this effect.
My front ones are fairly close to pointing at my head in my viewing position - see attached photo with the camera positioned where my head is (although camera pointing towards right speaker otherwise it is no in the pic!). The E301 leg is on a fairly flexible ball joint but it does not let unlimited movement.
My rear ones are unfortunately more off axis due to where they are placed although still not at all bad and is not quite a important for speakers behind you.

I hope you enjoy them. Thanks for sharing photos :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom