bookshelf speakers for a topping tp32 amp

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by romtal, Jan 30, 2014.

1. romtal

romtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    As above intend to acquire a Topping tp32 amp on the grounds of space.
    As the amp is only rated 10amps into 8ohms i assume i will need sensitive speakers.
    Not being very well versed in these things can anyone point me in the right direction.
    Max budget of £150 and not too large.
    Thank you in advance

2. romtal

romtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    As above can anyone advise what bookshelf speakers would be suitable for a Topping tp32 amp.
    Not very clued up about these sort of things but just need to set up a small system in a limited space.
    As the Topping only outputs 10amps into 8ohms am i right in saying the speakers need to have a high sensitivity.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. £150 max.
    Thanks in advance.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    You have conflicting requirements, tiny speakers are not especially loud.

The T-Amps like the Topping don't have much power, but as long as you keep them at reasonable volume levels, they can sound very good with just about any speakers. If you sit far away, or if you plan on throwing and RAVE class partys, the Topping is going to fall short. But on a computer desktop, or similar, when used at loud but reasonable volume levels, the amp sound very good.

The two that come in close to your price, would be these, though I don't know if they meet your size requirements -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - TANNOY MERCURY V1i SPEAKERS (PAIR)

You have to accept that the smaller the speaker, the less bass, and less air that is moved.

Just to show you how capable these T-Amps are, there is a Lepai TA2020A+ which is similar to the Topping, driven some 165mm Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 bookshelf speakers -

Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 - Bass response #2

It does a pretty good job of it. But, the guy is not playing crazy loud.

Steve/bluewizard

4. romtal

romtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Steve/bluewizard for the reply,the Tannoys look eminently suitable although how would they compare with Boston Acoustics A25 or Acoustic Energy compact one.
    The amp will most definitely not be driven to insane levels,just my modest cd collection and improving the sound of the tv and blu-rays.Just a couple of old uns trying to get better sound. Thanks.

5. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I guess you meant 10 Watts into 8 Ohms? Well, maybe downhill with a strong following wind.

As usual, sellers over-egg the output of these tiny amps. The spec sheet tells us it's 6W into 8 Ohms and 11W into 4 Ohms at hifi quality using a 12V power supply. Trick is to try and make the most of such limited power by matching the amp with the most efficient speakers you can find or afford. The irony is that small, cheapish speakers are seldom very efficient. I'm aware that some folk get good results with the JBL control one speaker and the 'pro' version and they are using similar but not identical amps to the Topping TP32.

Sound quality of good examples of these types of amps is usually pretty good, just don't expect too much in terms of bass dynamics and volume (especially if using inefficient speakers).

Just a thought...
    Have you already purchased the amp? If not, look into a separate usb DAC and cheap active speaker such as these (other makes are available). I use a low powered chip amp and also have cheap active speakers and to say the active speaker setup sounds 100% better is an understatement:

Studiospares SN4A Pair at Studiospares

6. romtal

romtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks dogfonos for the input. Yes it did worry me slightly regarding the power of the amp.
    Your suggestion sounds good but not knowing much about it have you any suggestions for the usb dac.
    Thanks

7. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I'm going to assume you haven't yet purchased the Topping amp because if you have, you'll need passive speakers and my suggestion of cheap active speakers will be redundant.

Looks like your budget is around £230 for amp, DAC and speakers (or speakers with in-built amps)?

First step is to work out what features/facilities you want and any other requirements that are important. Active speakers are rarely as versatile in their connectivity and volume control compared to a separate amp - even one as basic as the Topping TP32 - so working out what features you want is very important.

All I know currently is that the setup needs to occupy little space, so start with the source(s): What is/are the source(s)? Any other requirements?

8. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    As to the difference between speakers, once you narrow down the class, only your ears can tell you what you need to know, but the two I suggested are very good for the money.

Steve/bluewizard

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    You appear to have multiple threads on the same subject, that's not going to work out well -

bookshelf speakers for a topping tp32 amp | AVForums

There are two ways to connect the computer to the Topping Amp, one is to simply use the headphone or the Line out on the computer. The other is to use a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). Most would be inclined to use a USB DAC. These can cost between £100 and £150 -

Audioquest DRAGONFLY V1.2 | USB DAC/Headphone Amp | Richer Sounds

Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 100 Black | DAC | Richer Sounds

Though just to get things started, using the analog outputs (headphone, Line) of your computer should be fine. If you decide to go to a USB DAC, that can come later.

Steve/bluewizard

10. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Please do not create duplicate threads as per forum rules.

11. romtal

romtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again,
    It seems i owe an apology for posting in different threads. This was not done intentionally but it seems when you get an e/mail notifying you that someone has posted a reply to the initial query and you then click on the link saying view this thread and then answer it automatically creates a new thread. I was unaware of this. I shall know better next time.

It also seems i need to clarify what exactly i need because it seems everything has gone pear shaped and to me off topic.
    My initial post asked for advice on what speakers would suit a Topping TP32 amp ( chosen purely because of its size and space restrictions.)
    Having further investigated and with with the points raised by members on this forum who know far more than i do,the Topping is a no go.

In the meantime i have now purchased a pair of Boston Acoustics A25s and with your help am pretty clear on the best way to connect every thing up.
    As i have been able to solve the space problem to some degree a normal amp will now suffice.
    I will not ask for advice on which amp to buy because this is the speaker section and i do not wish to be accused of posting in the wrong place again.
    So i will finish this thread by thanking you all for taking the time to try and help an old codger sort things out.
    Best regards to all.
    m rules

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  12. smasher50

smasher50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    fwiw, with my findings over the years with your restraints (space, lower volume at desk listening and most importantly budget) the topping amp will do just fine, until you need or want to up grade for more power. when you do the topping amp will serve as a nice power source for a bedroom ,kitchen, or outdoor system. I own 2 of the cheaper lepai amps for such purposes around my house. (workshop,and powering outdoor speakers on my patio and they sound great as long as they are used at reasonable volumes which in my findings can get loud to my ears with some higher sensitive speakers 90 db or greater ) just my 2 cents forgot also purchased one for my daughter for her dorm at her university. and she loves it. don't have to worry about heat as they can stay on for days without getting hot

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  13. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    In post #5, I said:
    Whether intentionally or not, you've bagged yourself some very efficient speakers (for small, budget speakers that is) in the Boston Acoustics A25's. According to the specifications I've seen, they're 89dB. Ironically, these speakers would likely work pretty well with the Topping amp provided high volumes/very bass-heavy material was off the menu.

14. mrbenn

mrbenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I've got one of these little amps and run it with a pair of mission 731i's which happen to also be 89db - absolutely great set-up for the money

15. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    As you can see from the video I posted in what is now post #3, the Lepai T-Amp, which is very similar to the Topping, had no trouble driving that Diamond 10.2 bookshelf speakers. But because of the limited power, you can not drive the amp exceptionally loud. As long as you stay within the working range of the amp, they sound great.

If you want a regular amps, and you want to keep the price reasonably low. Consider these -

£130/ea = Denon PMA-520, 45w/ch
    £160/ea = Marantz PM5004, 40w/ch
    £175/ea = Denon PMA-720, 50w/ch
    £190/ea = Yamaha AS300, 60w/ch

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard