Bookshelf or Soundbar

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by krwilson21, Jan 9, 2012.

1. krwilson21

krwilson21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys

Looking for a bit of help for our new place. I have a home theater tv room, but I am looking for a system for our living area. It is a large open concept with a loft that is very formal so the wife doesn't want any big speakers, or surround speakers. I would just get a soundbar to appease her but this system will be used for background music a lot during parties etc. and soundbars are more for smaller rooms and movies. The system will have a tv, and apple tv hooked up to it for music and video. I'm not looking to spend more than $500.

Thanks for your help.

2. Sw33t

Sw33t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I personally think it would be better to go with some bookshelf speakers as you can then always upgrade if you want/need to. For example you might start with 2 bookshelf speakers and overtime persuade the wife to a few more then you will end up with a 5.1 system. Soundbars are a bit restrictive when it comes to upgrading but if you can, have a listen to one in your price range, i was shocked when i heard a soundbar at around that price there not bad at all.
    It all depends on your preference.
    Hope this helps.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    Unless circumstances, like a TV in the corner, force you to have a sound bar, then I also vote for Bookshelf. But to appease your wife try to find bookshelf that blend in nicely. I personally prefer the look of finely crafted wood. I prefer the somewhat medium reddish cherry, but lighter and darker wood finishes are available. Something in a light oak, maple, or birch would seem much less oppressive than some large black monoliths.

I personally am not that fond of black speakers or black amps. I just bought a new equipment stand for my TV and audio equipment. The problem is my amps are all black, the face of my DVD & BluRay are all black, and the shelves my equipment are on are all black. It was somewhat like someone placing a black hole at the end of my living room. So, I finished some oak molding and glued it to the front of the shelves to break up the endless blackness.

My point is, that even larger speakers can blend in nicely if you choose a finish the actually blends in with your room rather than standing out like a black tombstone.

Here is an example of a nice light finish speaker. These are a very light oak -

Focal 700 5.1 AV Speakers Package at Audio Affair

Acoustic Energy Radiance 3 5.1 AV Speaker Package at Audio Affair

Sound Bars are speakers of necessity, if you don't necessarily need them, then my advice is don't get them.

But then that is just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012