Bookshelf or Bipoles for surround 7.1 (or mix)

jonjo69

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Currently looking to replace surrounds & rears. After upgrading the front stage (now Monitor Audio Gold 3xx), I moved my old RX8s to the rear and left the old Silver RXFX in situ. Not ideal and in the RX8's case; overkill.

So I'm looking to update the surrounds and rears. I could go all Gold FX in bipole mode for both surround and rear, FX just for surround and bookshelf (MA Gold 50s or 100s) for rear or bookshelf for both surround and rear.

Any advice gratefully received. For info, it's just me in primary seating position in a rectangular room.

Jonjo.

If it were me I would be tempted to go with FX for surround and rear duties. In the Silver manual di-pole is recommended in that situation, not bi-pole. I'm guessing the gold series is the same?

If it were me I would be tempted to go with FX for surround and rear duties. In the Silver manual di-pole is recommended in that situation, not bi-pole. I'm guessing the gold series is the same?

Yeah, my thinking sort of going that way. Must admit can't remember the di-pole recommendation in the manual as it would have seriously dented my respect for MA. If I had many seats I might have been forced down a di-pole route, but my ears would've probably divorced me :D

Just had an interesting e-mail from Monitor Audio. Basically it said that if the surrounds can't be mounted on or hard flat against the wall, they recommend mono-pole bookshelves like the Gold 50's. That's saves £800.

Yeah I suppose the FX are designed to be wall mounted so I can see why they would say that. So can you wall mount any of the surrounds? How far are you sitting from them?

Unfortunately I move around a bit. So although I can find houses to rent of a good size, landlords don't like you hammering holes in their walls.

No I don't suppose they do. Perhaps bookshelves on stands would be a more sensible approach for you then? I'm fairly sure Gold 50's won't disappoint! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom