Bookshelf micro system? pure dmx60 any good?

dave_on_tyne

Standard Member
Reaction score
Most of the so called "micro" systems aren't "micro" enough to sit on my shelves (26.5cm deep) :eek:

Anyone got any suggestions / recommendations ? (other than "get a bigger shelf" :D)

Onkyo, Denon are too deep.
Pure DMX-60 would fit - but I've seen a couple of posts suggesting CD skipping issues - wondering how common this issue is, and what's the sound quality like?

Budget ~£200, could push higher for something worthwhile

Priorities are sound quality and fitting on the shelf in my study . . . :D

thanks

If sound quality is an issue and you have a space problem as well, my suggestion is to not have speakers at all - use good quality headphones. Speakers are acoustic devices and size definitely matters. Very small speakers sound fairly awful and bass will be very seriously compromised.

If you're worried about being "tethered" to the set by the cord, consider wireless (infrared) headphones. Ofcourse these are only line of sight. RF headphones are better but cost far more than your budget allows.

With the above set up you actually only need a CDP but it needs a headphone jack which has a volume knob - Technics players used to have this facility and may still have them. I presume you can find a micro CDP that will fit on your shelf. Fortunately quality in electronics at this level is not constrained by physical size.

Ross

If sound quality is an issue and you have a space problem as well, my suggestion is to not have speakers at all

Ross - thanks for the suggestion but i really don't want to wear headphones, wired or otherwise. And it's not the speakers that are an issue - things like the Tannoy F1 or Wharfedale Diamond 9 will happily sit on my shelves - it's the "micro" hi-fi unit itself, which is typically "micro" only in front-on format (height & width) but pretty big in depth . . .

Might be a problem with it. According to a review on Amazon it loses the DAB presets on standby unless Sony has sorted it.

Dont waste your money on a Sony or Pure. I have heard all them in my time, and the word PANTS, comes to mind for some reason:D.

If you only have the room you say, then first advice from mme wouuld be the same as Ross's. Headphones and a CDP with built in headphone amp.

If not then something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boston-CD-Micro-system-White-Bose-Wave-Beater_W0QQitemZ270235795049QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These sound very, very good. And have a sound that punches way above its size. As good as if not better than the Bose equivalent.

Or if you can find a Cambridge Soundworks 740, that would also be perfect for your needs. (and can be found for around £100 if you search hard enough)

D.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
sorry socrates but i'm looking for a "proper" micro not a souped-up clock-radio (well, that is what the Boston looks like ;))

in an ideal world i'd be looking at an Onkyo 515 which is too deep for my shelves . . . but given apparent lack of quality "smaller" alternatives I'm starting to think I need to make room on my desk for an onkyo & get some long speaker cables :D

cheers for the suggestions though

sorry socrates but i'm looking for a "proper" micro not a souped-up clock-radio (well, that is what the Boston looks like ;))

in an ideal world i'd be looking at an Onkyo 515 which is too deep for my shelves . . . but given apparent lack of quality "smaller" alternatives I'm starting to think I need to make room on my desk for an onkyo & get some long speaker cables :D

cheers for the suggestions though

Your welcome.

But they are more than clock radios. The boston can outperform most mini systems in a small room. As can the £100 CS 740 i mentioned.

The other option is an iPod and some quality ipod dock/speakers. Audioengines A2's or A5's would fit and the A5's in particular could easily keep up, and surpass the ONKYO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom