1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bookselfs...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stuman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. stuman

stuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Ive been slowley upgrading my sound setup from the bottom and now have quite a nice system apart from the speakers.
    at the moment as my system stand it comprises of

cambridge audio 540c -> cambridge audio 640a -> silver aniversry biwire into mass loaded Eltax liberty 5+ , i see these as the weak link and would like to upgrade these.

narrowed it down to a few options. all around the £200 - £250 mark.

mission m51 - £250
    b&w 601 s3
    mirage omni 60's
    jmlabs chorus 705s
    mordaunt short avant 902's

the speakers will be used for dvd's and music in the electronic catagory, however, bass is not crazy important as at the moment i reside in a 1st floor flat. i would prefer to aim at soundstage and female vocals.

also after i have baught the speakers, what do you rekon a good asking price for the speaker will be? all original boxs etc.

stu.

2. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, I've been looking at new standmounts for a while now (still haven't managed to find a suitable pair at a suitable price though - a lot more difficult than I thought it would be!).

I can whole heartedly recommend the B&W 601 S3's (even though mine died on me). They would be my personal choice over the other speakers you've mentioned. They have bass in shovels but can also convey detail and subtlety very well. They look awesome, are very well built, sound great and can be bought for less than £200 if you shop around.

The MS 902's have a good reputation too. I've had a few MS speakers over the years (premiere & avants) and can vouch for their performance. Some may argue that their a bit on the bright side - the aluminium tweeter takes an age to settle down, but once they have (give them at least 200 hours), they sound very good.

JM labs speakers are hard to find, on the web or in stores (beleive me, I've tried), so don't hang on for an ex-dem or used bargain any time soon. Haven't heard them, so can't comment. Look nice and seem to perform well according to press reviews though.

DT

3. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Focal 706s, B&W601s3, Monitor Audio B2, Kef Q1, AE EVO1

Go and listen...

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Make sure you audition the Quad 11L's as well, great speakers and great finish too, might be a bit pricey though.

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Listened to the JMlab Chorus 706S today (with Rotel 02 gear). As for performance:

Positives: VERY dynamic, plenty of bass, cymbals & snare drums sound rich - rather than splashy. Musically involving.

Negatives: Too much bass? Questionable integration between mids & highs.

Anyway, bit the bullet and ordered a pair in black. It's actually been bloody difficult trying to find a decent pair of small, bi-wireable, front-ported (or infinite baffle) standmounts, for under £500!

In the end, I've had to settle for something a bit larger than I was hoping for, but oh well :smoke: .

Will let you know more about their performance in a couple of weeks.

DT

6. stuman

stuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    was it a local audio shop you baught from? if so where abouts?

im having trouble find some to audition...

stu---

7. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    for under £500... I wouldn't have told you the MA B2 but you of my favourites, the MA Silver S1 or S2 models.

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi-Fi Expereince on Tottenham Court Rd.

As I said in earlier posts, they're hard to find. HFE have a very comprehensive range of JMlab speakers. They also stock Kef, Ruark, B&W and Epos, so its a good place to audition lots of manufacturers on the same kit without having to go walkabouts....

Nice listening rooms too.

9. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I did consider the MA's, but they're rear-ported. Couldn't find anywhere to listen to them either :(

DT

10. stuman

stuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ok a little update, had a reply from a guy in america who will sell me som mirage omni 60's for $310 about £170 without shipping, any ideas on how much shipping will be? :confused:
    also not sure how good these speakers are compared to the 601's or kef etc? also waiting back on the people from htd in america on a pair of level 4 bookselfs... :boring:

stu :smoke:

11. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What is the difference between front and rear ported? As I'm about to buy speakers myself, it could save me making a mistake. For info., they will be positioned close to walls if that's what's important

12. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The B2's are not rear ported but only front - it's one of it's special features which make them more room friendly.

positioned in the middle of the room front or rear porting would make no difference - but ppl place speakers close (ish!) to wall. rear ported spkrs need space to breathe and at the 'right' distance they give better bass rendition, but positioned too close can sound really bad (muddy boomy bass)

i would pick the front ported ones in your situation!

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I got some ms302's to use with my pc and at first they sounded pretty mediocre even disappointing but after a while they just seemed to kick into life and now the difference from my old speakers is quite compelling. I am only using them in a small room and they are only a few feet away from me, so if the 902's sound the same but push out at higher volume I would say they'll be a good choice.

I haven't listened to any of the others so i can't comment, but i certainly like my MS but they do take quite a while to sound their best.

:oops: Should have read the whole thread not just the first post.

14. stuman

stuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    the differance between rear and front ported is what you said, the port is for bass extension and other related bits, if you get rear ported its recomended that you leave about 2 - 3 foot behind it so they can breath.

---stu---

15. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the clarification, I think I need front ported speakers in that case.