Booked my rental car for Norway...

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
And what better way to see the country...

20180731_133900.jpg

Renting through Hertz would have cost £1200 plus whatever BS insurance they force upon me.

I rented the Tesla for a week for £600 from a peer to peer private rental site. Like Airbnb for cars. Still crazy expensive but everything is in Norway. However a Peugeot 108 would have cost £270, then about £200 in petrol, £50 in rolls etc.

So in reality it was only a little extra to sack the Peugeot 108 and get a Tesla S 90D.

Got to be the better choice, enjoy the trip, make the most of it and cover some ground ;-) the more you drive it the more its saved you

Well I've had the Tesla since Monday, and I'm beginning to understand why @gangzoom is such a Tesla fan.

Wonderful car. The autosteer is incredible. I only realised on day 2 that it will change lanes and overtake too!

20180924_211643.jpg

20180924_181528.jpg

Last edited:
Hope the rest of the Norway trip went well, as it happens we've just got back from our first trip abroad in our X.

Nearly 900 miles over 7 days with our 2.5 year old, the car was utterly flawless. Tesla has got the whole EV ownership experience nailed. We cannot wait for our European road trip, probably Lake Como 2019 :).

44994632271_1dffb7cac3_b.jpg

44989352691_fcb049c084_b.jpg

44994629811_4482e903de_b.jpg

44946039902_7d1899b791_b.jpg

Don't know if I'd fancy driving a model X around Como. Tiny windy roads and lunatic Italian drivers.

I found it stressful in a small car never mind a Model X.

On a side note I had my first trip in an X today, when I left my car back to the owner he dropped us to the airport in his X.

Quick question - I know that it isn't directly relevant to this thread but prompted by it - what happens when you take you RHD Tesla to a LHD country - does it detect where it is so that it drives & overtakes on the correct side, or is it something that you have to set up via a menu?
Are UK Teslas configured for being driven in the UK, or is it not an issue - ie the car works out where it is and is set up for that country's roads?

Are they even set up for autonomous yet?

Quick question - I know that it isn't directly relevant to this thread but prompted by it - what happens when you take you RHD Tesla to a LHD country - does it detect where it is so that it drives & overtakes on the correct side, or is it something that you have to set up via a menu?
Are UK Teslas configured for being driven in the UK, or is it not an issue - ie the car works out where it is and is set up for that country's roads?

The incar speed limit display changed from miles to KM automatically once sat nav recognised the car was in France. The SatNav guidance was also giving the correct exit numbers for round abouts - so going counter clockwise rather than clockwise. So yes the car 'knows' the difference between RHD and LHD roads.

Autopilot cannot *YET* initiate self overtake and merging back into lanes, but its coming. Some US owners are currently testing it in real world usage, so the car will overtake/merge back and take correct Motorway exit/lane changes with no user input. So in theory once your on a Motorway the car will do everything needed to get you to the destination off ramp with no user input.....

I haven't activated AP software yet on our car, but if Tesla can pull these features off I just might stump up the asking price for 'Full Self Driving'.

Watch Tesla’s new Autopilot on ‘Mad Max’ mode at work

The autopilot was very good I thought, night and day compared to the pap in the 40kWh Leaf.

And from watching Bjorn's videos the Kia version looks quite good so I'm looking forward to that.

The autopilot was very good I thought, night and day compared to the pap in the 40kWh Leaf.

And from watching Bjorn's videos the Kia version looks quite good so I'm looking forward to that.

Yes the Kia one is the same as in the Kona
It's very good much better than the leaf

No lane change without driver intervention but everything it does it does rock solid. Used in conjunction with the autoregen level selection the car has it's superb

Tesla leads the pack by a country mile but it's good to see it's forcing others to up the game.

Am using mine in the Kona a lot on the motorway and it's especially brilliant when stuck in traffic

The one real bonus with the Kia/Hyundai system is it's included in the price you pay for the car no pocket raiding to have it enabled like Tesla

The one real bonus with the Kia/Hyundai system is it's included in the price you pay for the car no pocket raiding to have it enabled like Tesla

Nothing with a Tesla is cheap/good value, but I am pleasantly surprised how much AP 2.0 has improved from June 2017 when I last used it to the most recent V8 update.

Its still not there yet for me to splash the cash, however having the car been able to effectively execute overtakes/merging cars would be tipping point. The current system cannot not react at all to merging/slow traffic, and given how busy our M-way network is personally I don't find it useful, as everytime there is merging traffic you have to take over control.

I'm keen waiting to try the latest AP performance with software V9.0, but I fear for my credit card. The Full Self Driving option gives little change from £10k!! Which is how much most people are willing spend on a whole car let alone a software feature......It really does depend on how likely I think Tesla can deliver on true autonomous driving with their current cars, if they can really do it £10k over the life time of the car is a small price to pay for having essenitally a private chauffeur, but if not I might as well throw £10k into a waste paper bin and set it on fire!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom