Booked a service and MOT, starting with the upsell already!

Just rang the garage to confirm the booking tomorrow. "Ah, yes. The service, MOT and engine flush" "No, I don't want the engine flush, I got the hard sell and said I did not want it" Silence...

"Not a problem. The service is 469 quid. That includes plugs, which are quite expensive for a Mazda" "If you want it without the plugs it'll be 299 quid. How many miles have you done since your last service?"

"Give me a minute and I'll check... ... ... 1,259 miles"

Both burst out laughing "Yeah, I'd leave the plugs" :D
Blimey, which Mazda do you have? I did not realise they do a 12 cylinder one. I mean it must be to charge £170 for some plugs...That is crazy...

Blimey, which Mazda do you have? I did not realise they do a 12 cylinder one. I mean it must be to charge £170 for some plugs...That is crazy...

It is a 2 litre petrol. The price quoted was 110.00 for the plugs (+VAT) and one hour of labour to fit them.

When they had the car hooked up to 'the machine' they said the plugs were fine and didn't need changing.

I should call it Christine, looking at the advisories it has been repairing itself...

Advisories this year:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
engine covers and undertrays fitted

Advisories last year:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Corroded (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Corroded (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Corroded (1.1.11 (c))

Those front brake pads I got fitted a few weeks ago (and barely touched the car since). They are apparently 20 percent worn already :D

You need a new garage :laugh:

I was pretty surprised when I read the report.

1,250 miles since the last MOT. I'd guess 150 miles would be with the new pads. 20 percent worn already? I don't think so :)

Can an independent garage remove the service reminder or will it need to go to main dealer?

On the Mazda you can enable/disable it. I've disabled it for the tyre rotation reminder.

On the Mazda you can enable/disable it. I've disabled it for the tyre rotation reminder.

I can disable it when I drive but it comes back on next time I start the engine.
Booking in for a full service soon. Hopefully not as expensive as yours lol.

Yup. Some places enter that on the MOT.
Would that be in the context that it is obstructing their view rather than something that shouldn't be there?

A bit like those advisories on the brake lines 'corroded'. It annoys me no end when you've had them nicely protected to see that advisory as it actually means they can't see the pipe itself, not that the pipe has been corroded.

I stopped complaining about that now, but the first time they did that to me I was not a happy bunny :D

Would that be in the context that it is obstructing their view rather than something that shouldn't be there?

A bit like those advisories on the brake lines 'corroded'. It annoys me no end when you've had them nicely protected to see that advisory as it actually means they can't see the pipe itself, not that the pipe has been corroded.

I stopped complaining about that now, but the first time they did that to me I was not a happy bunny :D
Yeah, the covers block the view of the cat, so the tester can’t confirm that the cat is present :devil:

I get that as an advisory on my Octavia, as above it simply means they are unable to visually inspect the engine parts it's covering/protecting.

Honestly, the other car needed front brake pads on. What is it with garages now? Yesterday I had this conversation:

"Can you check to see what the grinding noise is on the front O/S please?"
"Pads are worn almost down to the metal"
"How much?"
"200+ quid for front pads and discs"
"What's wrong with the discs?"
"Nothing, we just recommend replacing them together or you could get some 'judder' while the pads 'bed in'"
"Just the pads please"
"That'll be 72 quid then"

BTW the grinding noise started two days ago.

Honestly, the other car needed front brake pads on. What is it with garages now? Yesterday I had this conversation:

"Can you check to see what the grinding noise is on the front O/S please?"
"Pads are worn almost down to the metal"
"How much?"
"200+ quid for front pads and discs"
"What's wrong with the discs?"
"Nothing, we just recommend replacing them together or you could get some 'judder' while the pads 'bed in'"
"Just the pads please"
"That'll be 72 quid then"

BTW the grinding noise started two days ago.

Some people have more money than sense. if the garage recommends it, they just go along with it.

No idea I'm afraid, would that be a problem?

The last time they had the car five hours before they made a start on it. With my health etc. I was absolutely knackered and all I wanted to do was go home by then. Why they wanted it dropping off at 9:00 I'll never know.

Absolutely hate it when they do this. A few years back Toyota wanted my (ex) car dropped off at 9am. Said it would be ready by 1pm. I killed 4 hours in an unfamiliar area and returned at 1pm sharp. My car was still sitting where I had parked it at 9am. I thought maybe they had parked it back there.

No, it had not even been touched yet. But it would be ready by 4pm. Rather than sod about for another three hours I dove it home and rebooked it elsewhere. They were very rude about it too.

These days they either pick it up from my home/work and return it, or they give me a courtesy car. So many places offer this nowadays. No more wandering around a supermarket in the middle of an industrial area trying to kill time.

Yeah... isn't that the same with most cars though?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom