Book Signings question

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
can you buy a book online from the same store instead on the day off signing instore? and take receipt with you.

At moment book is half price online, i bet its full price in-store on that day.

thanks
rai

My biggest worry is that if you got it into the shop and signed OK even with the internet receipt you might have a problem getting it out without being asked to buy it :). Perhaps you could email them and say you have already bought a copy from them andonline Can you bring it in to get it signed.

We are doing something like this for a local bookstore because we were worried about stocks running low (the price was the same) I'll get my wife to check the details, as it may have been a question of reserving it in store, rather than buying it online.

Last edited:
My biggest worry is that if you got it into the shop and signed OK even with the internet receipt you might have a problem getting it out without being asked to buy it :). Perhaps you could email them and say you have already bought a copy from them andonline Can you bring it in to get it signed.

We are doing something like this for a local bookstore because we were worried about stocks running low (the price was the same) I'll get my wife to check the details, as it may have been a question of reserving it in store, rather than buying it online.

Phoned up the store, she said bring a receipt with you.

Good news :thumbsup:

Oh, and we did just reserve a copy at the store after all....

Dave

I'd laugh if they had photocopies of the signature especially for cheapskates

I'll laugh in the faces off people that paid double the money for a book thats sold cheaper online, or sold half price in-store a week after the event :rotfl: , i would'nt, just following your lead.

What is it with people, you have a bargains section on this forum all manner off things, but someone gets a book that is half price on the stores own website, and its look upon as a crime has been committed :suicide: :D

Mod please close thread ;)

Last edited:
What is it with people, you have a bargains section on this forum all manner off things, but someone gets a book that is half price on the stores own website, and its look upon as a crime has been committed :suicide: :D

It has nothing to do with wanting a bargain as I'm sure that we all prefer to pay as little as possible for things but you seem to want it both ways.

Next you'll be asking if it's OK to take your own food into a restaurant to eat :rotfl:

Also the author would have incurred some out of pocket expenses to get to the signing ,the least you can do is buy his/her book at full price if your going to face the him/her :)

as a side matter

@ Johnscarlet why close a thread when somebody is asking for advice ?

Last edited:
as a side matter

@ Johnscarlet why close a thread when somebody is asking for advice ?

I wouldn't mind betting that you are the only forum member that doesn't know the answer to your question as the "somebody" in question certainly did

Also the author would have incurred some out of pocket expenses to get to the signing ,the least you can do is buy his/her book at full price if your going to face the him/her :)
?

I would suggest that the author gets paid the same per book, its the shop that loses out on the full ticket price. And if they put it on their website half price, then that's their choice, and their loss.

I wouldn't mind betting that you are the only(and best) forum member that doesn't know the answer to your question as the "somebody" in question certainly did

Right , just seen the helpful version ;)

Last edited:
When I went to a David Attenborough signing at Ottakars (pre-Waterstones takeover) I asked before going if I had to buy a book there to get it signed and they said no, you can bring your own books and he'll sign them... and he even signed my Life of Mammals DVD set too. :clap:

I would suggest that the author gets paid the same per book, its the shop that loses out on the full ticket price. And if they put it on their website half price, then that's their choice, and their loss.

Exactly. I saw it was half price online and thought i get that before they sell out, as i mostly shop online, even if i don't get it signed due to the numbers turning up, i dont mind. Im not a cheapskate, only today i gave money to a childrens charity in Blockbusters and the man said i gave the most so far this week. Damn wish i had known before hand, and asked for change back :rotfl: only kidding.

It has nothing to do with wanting a bargain as I'm sure that we all prefer to pay as little as possible for things but you seem to want it both ways.

Its it the law you have to buy a book full price on signing day? im sure people will be taking them along for those you have bought them full or half price, i bet this happens across book signing all over the world, a every day occurence, im lost to what your actual point is... is it that a celebrity is losing money by people not paying full price on signing day?

Im off to a signing this evening at a theatre in London, his book has just come out but Waterstones are selling it half price, so i bought it to bring along.
Box office at the theatre did suggest i could buy the book at their own shop but said it was ok to buy elsewhere, good enough for me.

Book signings are a promotional tour for author / publicist and to a lesser extent the hosting store. The fact you've turned up with the book, regardless of sourced purchase, is the whole point of the tour. From the hosting stores point of view they're getting consumers into their shop they wouldn't normally get. I can understand they may be a little awkward about place of purchase, but I doubt it would be a big sticking point and would seriously doubt they'd turn potential customers away!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom