Book recommendations

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a few books ordered for Xmas pressies.

Can anyone recommend anything - perhaps the odd classics or current thrillers, especially ones with great endings.

Or ones the missus might like.

Most of the Tom Clancy thrillers are a really good read, note that the sequence of the books is different to the films. Red Storm Rising is kind of a standalone book and a damn good read if you are remotely interested in the hi-tech nature of modern warfare.

James Herbert has written a number of really good books, but I would really recommend Moon for a story that builds up to a nigh on unputdownable finish. Magic Cottage is more whimsicle and less horror, another very good read.

For great endings you really cant go wrong with the Darwin Awards books (sic), usually loads of good endings in those.

Well I wont be as cliche'd as mentioning the Da Vinci Code but by the same author is another book, Angels and Demons, which I personally found to be the best of the books Dan Brown has done.

Gazzas autobioghraphy, its a scream.

If you can stretch to crime thrillers in your quest for a really good read then look no further than the Lee Child series of Jack Reacher novels. I go through about a book a fortnight and in all my readings Lee Child stands head and shoulders above the rest. MY only advice in regard to the series is to make sure you read them in the correct chronological order to benefit from the character growing with each book.
Check his website at www.leechild.com

John Grisham - The Innocent Man

Fairly typical John Grisham crime stuff EXCEPT a truely shocking true story - justice in the old USofA.

John Grisham - The Innocent Man

Fairly typical John Grisham crime stuff EXCEPT a truely shocking true story - justice in the old USofA.

Just finished that one myself and have to say that yes it is an amazing story on the whole but Grisham's writing style for the first two thirds of the book is somewhat tedious to say the least and I found it hard going. It wasn't until the last third of the book that I started to enjoy it. Most unlike the Grisham I usually enjoy having read his entire works. I have to say though his previous offering "The Broker" wasn't what I had hoped for either. Is Grisham loosing the plot I ask myself ?.

Another fine author I would throw in, not to be missed are the works of Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks novels. A bit like Inspector Morse up t' north. A great read.

Most of the Tom Clancy thrillers are a really good read, note that the sequence of the books is different to the films. Red Storm Rising is kind of a standalone book and a damn good read if you are remotely interested in the hi-tech nature of modern warfare.

I agree, Clancy's novels are excellent.

Just be careful not to go for the newer ones (with jack ryan's son) cos I have heard they're crap.

Red storm rising is incredible and really gives you some idea of what would have happened had the cold war kicked off.

Can also recommend angels and demons and the majority of books by dean koontz, particularly odd thomas and forever odd.

Andy Mcnab and Chris Ryan are also worth a look.

Looking to get a few books ordered for Xmas pressies.

Can anyone recommend anything - perhaps the odd classics or current thrillers, especially ones with great endings.

Or ones the missus might like.

Noticed today that WHSmith have a special offer box set of classic thrillers (Can't remember exact titles but sure they were the usual Grisham/Clancy etc..) for £9.99 Rec RRP was over £50

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Have just placed the order - only one from those listed was 'Shadow of the Wind'. Don't think the missus would have been too fussed about the others!!

Cecelia Ahern is a great Mrs book author. PS I love you, Where Rainbows End, and If you could see me now.... there is a new one out too but can't remember the name cos I have not read it yet. Just superb. Unless your Mrs is into thrillers and blokey books, you can't go wrong with Cecelia Ahern !!

'Red Dragon' by Thomas Harris a real can't put down book.

Michael Connelly novels, especially the Harry Bosch ones.
I also like the Lee Child books, but you do have to suspend your disbelief a little. More suitable to male readers I think.

The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver if you want a thriller

its about, well it it involves computers but if you have a very basic knowledge it a very good thriller with a few twist in it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver if you want a thriller

its about, well it it involves computers but if you have a very basic knowledge it a very good thriller with a few twist in it.
Fantastic book by imo,the best thriller writer around.The camel club by David baldaachi is also excellent.

The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger(spelling!!)

There is time travel but it's not what you would call Sci-Fi. It's fundamentally a love story but don't let that put you off. It's one of the best books i've read in ages.

cheers

Jacob

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom