1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boo Hoo, brightness flicker on my 700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fallwood, Dec 10, 2004.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After 450 hrs my ae700 has started with the flicker problem i had on my 500, not so much a flicker as a change in brightness, screen goes darker for a few seconds and then brightens again (no its not the iris before anyone asks, does it on a completely white screen), completely P***ed off as i thought this probllem had been banished from the 700, now waiting for the bulb to go pop as it did in my 500, as its so close to christmas i dont hold much hope in getting it repaired in time. Also i can see a slight pinkish tinge down both sides of the screen . I am starting to come to the conclusion that ceiling mounting these machines is not a good idea, every pany pj ive had has failed within 6 months and all have been ceiling mounted. Anyone else showing problems yet.

2. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing like that - I thought I had brightness flicker during the first two weeks, but only noticed it when playing one particular game in which light levels change all the time. I assumed in the end, rightly or wrongly, that it was just the iris compensating for the changes in brightness. Don't notice it anymore anyway. Fallwood, excuse my memory but are you the guy who uses the PJ as the main TV display in the house? I still don't think they can take that much punishment without adverse effects.

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep , thats me. PJ gets used everyrday for up to 10hrs at a time, according to panasonic this is perfectly ok as long as Im not bothered at having to buy a new bulb every year. My mate uses his the same way and has had no probs yet, his is shelf mounted about 6 feet up the wall so it probably doesnt get as hot as mine does. Im still convinced that ceiling mounting these machines damages them if they are used for long periods. Gonna ring panasonic tomorrow to arrange for repair and ask them again if ceiling mounting can be a problem. Mines mounted in the middle of the room with about 4 inches clearance from the ceiling, as the inlet and outlet are on the back and front respectively I didnt think that this would cause a problem. Upon inspecting the temperatures today it showed the following, temp1 145, temp2 162, is this normal . Strangely the flicker stops if i switch to high lamp mode, if i run it in high for a while and then go back to low it is ok for a good few hours and then starts flickering again. I think i may have to spend a bit more on a more robust machine, can anyone recommend something with a similar spec to the 700 thats a bit more durable. My local pub has had a lcd toshiba PJ for ages and its on all day every day , according to the landlord the bulb gets changed about every 6 months but apart from that its never needed fixing.