Bond, die now!

• Thread starter backtothefuture
  • Start date
B

backtothefuture

just watched the latest Bond movie...really disappointed...too many explosions, hitech wizadry ,corporate advertising, political correctness...not enough charm , classic Bond style or heck even the Bond tune!...plus all these new directors directing the current Bond movies...who the hecks ever heard of them!! ..wtf is Lee Tamahori ?

Who do you guys think should direct the Bond movies? ... IMHO :

1. John McTiernan/Tony Scott (Die Hard/ Top Gun,Crimson Tide)
2. John Woo/Michael Bay (Face Off,MI2/Bad Boys,The Rock)
3. James Cameron (T2, Aliens)
4. RIichard Donner (Lethal Weapon 1 - 4)
5. Paul Veerhoven (Robocop,Startship Troopers)
6. Ridley Scott (Blade Runner,Gladiator)

what do you guys think?

Originally posted by backtothefuture
too many explosions, hitech wizadry

Mmmmm, all those guys would be great - never seen an explosion in any of their films :rolleyes:

yea but at least they are exciting ,tense films..and slick!... Bond has just gone dry and boring .. nothing but a showcase of new cars ,CGI + advertising!

Bit unfair on anybody who agress to direct Bond these days. After all we are up to about 21 "episodes" now. Anybody wanna try to match The Matrix by directing The Matrix Revisited Again Just Once More 21???? It's a smart director who says "No thanks"
How about T17 or BTTF18?

There is only so far that one can go with a character and you can't get away from changes in how people view chauvanism, etc over a period of 30 years. Perhaps it is time to put Mr Bond out to pasture?

yea but at least they are exciting ,tense films..and slick!... Bond has just gone dry and boring .. nothing but a showcase of new cars ,CGI + advertising!

Apart from the early connery ones which were proper thrillers, wasn't bond always a sort of tongue-in-cheek british secret agent with as much charm skills as munitons skills :) I totally agrees about the new cars/advertising, goldeneye was as good as the world premiere for the Z3!!

I'll be going to see the new one, in "common sense off" mode, so probably won't be too disappointed - maybe the new guy (clive owen???) will restore him back to the slick rogue of old..

well according to entertainment buzz, John Woo has shown interest in directing Bond but the producers turned him down ...

Lee Tamahori directed the fantastic NZ film Once Were Warriors, the very under-rated The Edge (with Alec Baldwin and Antony Hopkins) and the excellent Mullholland Falls. I would recommend all of them, if that doesn't answer your question take a look here...

http://uk.imdb.com/Name?Tamahori, Lee

Honestly some people!:rolleyes:

none of which , you will note, were action movies..let alone big budget action movies!

hence they should have left it to the pros in that genre ;)

i would to the next one be the last ever not a fan.
tarantino directing it
bond gets the sack for sexual harrasment of miss money penny
he finds work as a international drug runner
big shoot out
bond dies

none of which , you will note, were action movies..let alone big budget action movies!

hence they should have left it to the pros in that genre ;)

The Edge was pretty much an action flick, loads of action set pieces plane crash, bear chase and the fighting between hopkins and baldwin. Once Were Warriors was packed with some fantastic (and down right intimidating) fight scenes and Mullholland Falls had tons of fights (one even on a plane in mid air), another plane crash, loads of shoot outs and some sex scenes.

what more do you want man!?!:eek:

Bond is just a franchise. Each film will have tons of special effects, hi-tech gadgets, a couple 15-minutes-of-fame hotties, a Bond that's cooler than necessary, and (time permitting) a plot.

It's the definition of popcorn filmmaking. Entertaining for some... but not for me.

(proud to have never seen a full Bond film) :D

fighting between Baldwin & Hopkins , or a bear chase do not consitute action in a movie , the likes of a Bond movie!

Once Were warriors was 80% drama and maybe 20% action ... that was definitely not an action movie..

c'mon we talk action, we are talking Diehard,Robocop etc ...

as for Mulholland Falls..I have yet to watch that :D

what I am getting at is that LT is MUCH more experienced with using action in his films than most of the Bond directors. Or did Michael Apted (The World is Not Enough and erm Gorillas in the Mist) have much experience with action?

LT's film's are to a certain extent action packed.

sure, I see your point...I was just comparing him to John McTiernan,Tony Scott etc... personally I think Goldeneye has been the best Brosnan Bond so far and perhaps even better than the Timothy Dalton ones... ofcourse it could also be because it just seemed 'fresh' after such a long break between the Bond movies...though IMHO the musical score was made quite good use of in Goldeneye , as well as the action scenes having more 'twang ' in it ..eg the helicopter scene in which Bond is strapped in and about to blow up , or the train scene where the train is about to blow up etc....

what do you guys think?

John McTiernan would be a good choice, as would Tony Scott.
John Woo is woeful IMO - I thought MI:2 was the worst film I had seen in years.
James Cameron wouldn't be interested as he is already doing a 'Bond' franchise of his own: True Lies.
Paul Verhoeven is a great director, but inapropriate for Bond IMO.
Ridley Scott is of course a great director, but I doubt he would be interested.

Originally posted by James45
Lee Tamahori directed the fantastic NZ film Once Were Warriors, the very under-rated The Edge (with Alec Baldwin and Antony Hopkins) and the excellent Mullholland Falls.

OWW was a classic, in a similarly antipodean vein to Chopper, and Mulholland Falls was also good (with an ensemble cast to die for) but The Edge? Come on, Hopkins was only involved for the $$$. It did look quite nice though.

Originally posted by juboy
It did look quite nice though.

that's mainly what I like it for, it's such a beautifully shot film in places... that and the bear... he out acts both Hopkins and Baldwin.:D

Beautifully shot no-brainers are a god-send when you're too tired to think.

What JB needs is fresh blood, so Id go for a younger director than most of those on the list. Some one with the style and directed a sequel to a Ridley Scott movie, whos directed Brad Pitt and Micheal Douglas twice each but not in the same film. His movies are mainly suspense/thrillers which may be please some to see Bond act more of the spy and less of the action hero for a change. Any guesses?

A certain Mr Fincher perhaps?! maybe a little too dark...

personally I'd like to see Christopher Nolan (Memento, Insomnia) do one but it would be a step back for him as I think he's shaping up to be one of the best directors on the planet. Insomnia is near perfect in my book!

can you believe they are actually considering Robbie Williams for Bond's role ....noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

that's the day Bond dies for sure :eek:

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

I gota say the first 15-20 mins of D.A.D got me thinking they`d injected new life into Bond.
I enjoyed the idea of Bond being disevowed and him needing to rely on wits and skill rather than gadgets n` stuff.
Sadly I thaught it was a let down when this all went by the board in favor of OTT stunts etc, leaving us with another by the numbers Bond movie.

just watched the latest Bond movie...really disappointed...too many explosions, hitech wizadry ,corporate advertising, political correctness...not enough charm , classic Bond style or heck even the Bond tune!...plus all these new directors directing the current Bond movies...who the hecks ever heard of them!! ..wtf is Lee Tamahori ?

Who do you guys think should direct the Bond movies? ... IMHO :

what do you guys think?
Most of those guys would probably have done the same job with die another day as Lee Tamahori. What they need is a decent script !!! I reckon if you are gonna change director, go with someone off the wall like Baz Lurmann or David Lynch, see what they make of it.

Yeah, Bond on an Acid trip sounds cool.

I've just seen Die Another Die and wow!! What a fantastic Bond film. To my mind the first fully successful reworking of Bond for a more modern age. Both TND and WNE have hinted at a reworking of the Bond franchise but DAD delivers in full.

Amazing fun... it has everything a good Bond film should have the girls, gadgets, insane villian, doomsday weapon and fantastic stunts and action set pieces. Truly stunning.

Loved the hints at old school Bond in Q's store, never thought I'd hear a track from The Clash in a Bond movie, some of the blue screen work was terrible and the ice cap para-surfing was simply ridiculous but on the whole one of the most enjoyable Bond films (forget that... one of the most enjoyable action films full stop) i have seen at the cinema in a long, long time!

Oh and Halle Berry is simply gorgeous.:D

Originally posted by James45
some of the blue screen work was terrible

What bits ? Interested to know.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom