1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bollywood dvds!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by coolgools, Sep 4, 2000.

1. coolgools

coolgools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi anybody bought any bollywood dvds and what do you think? I've just purchased the classic SHAAN and guess what it dose not play on my player. I have a multiregion Pioneer 717 player.Anybody else have similar problems? This is the first time a movie refused to play. Infact the player ejects when this disc is loaded. My brother has A sony 725 and no problems. I have over 100 DVDs and this is the first time Ive come across this. Any thoughts?

2. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...well, I recently bought my first two 'Bollywood' DVDs: Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (don't ask what these titles mean - please!). Both movies turned out to be three-hour(!) musicals, with lots of songs and energetic dancing, good-looking leading men with buff bodies and splendid teeth, and lots of very pretty girls, NTSC, DD 5.1 sound, anamorphic transfers, English subtitles. In fact, the discs were pretty good transfers, and the music was ... different? Had no problem playing the discs on my region-free Denon DVD-2000.

Now what I'd like is something 'meatier' - surely in India they make movies other than relentlessly cheerful musicals? Any dramas? Historical epics? Thrillers? Any suggestions?...

3. cyberdudelion

cyberdudelion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indian dramas (without dancing around trees) - check out the Apu trilogy from Satyajit Ray. Don't think they are on dvd though. www.amazon.com and www.imdb.com

4. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...ahhh Ray's great Apu trilogy - they don't make 'em like that these days - more's the pity... I remember seeing all three movies in one sitting(!) in San Francisco, around 1962...

I have his The Chess Players on PAL video - interesting, if not his best.

Here's a site that might interest both of you:
    http://www.indianfilmsdvd.com/

which includes descriptions and specs of the films brought out by this company
    (DEI - Digital Entertainment India)

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by European (edited 05-09-2000).]