1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bollywood DVD's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by RanjanB, Jan 17, 2001.

1. RanjanB

RanjanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where is the best place to get Bollywood DVD's ?

In which region are films released first? Region1?

Is the picture quality and dolby 5.1 sound quality the same as for Hollywood releases?

Any advice welcome.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Ranjan,

Hi. You can get Bollywood films from places like HMV and Virgin. Alternatively, import them over the Net! Far cheaper, and you'll get a wider selection to choose from!

Having said that, I find that Region 2 Bollywood films are often not great picture quality. Whether it's because the DVD companies are simply being lazy, or if the masters they all use are simply of p*ss-poor quality, I don't know, but it really does annoy me!

Purchased "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" the other week, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Upon skipping through the disc yesterday though, I found the print itself that has been used, was scratched and lots of those nasty white specks keep appearing. It's so frustrating, especially when "K.K.H.H." is not even three years old!

Are the majority of Bollywood films always this badly mastered, or is it something that I don't know about the way Bollywood creates its cinema/video/DVD prints?!

Pooch

3. coolgools

coolgools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear RanjanB
    If you want bollywood films try the following
    1) cdguru.com
    2)indiandvdfilms.com
    3)erosentertainment.com

I've got about 20 bollywood dvd's including some fake ones from USA,(whilst on vacation).
    Generally they all have similar storylines and most of them are not worth watching twice
    with the exception of ...kuch kuch hota hai(I've watched this film more time than any hollywood film).
    Rani is gorgeous and see chapter 8 how the director introduces her to the film.. absolutely scintillating... thats the only reason i buy bollywood dvds (because of Rani M).
    hope you enjoy your films.
    ps
    watch Jungle... unusually atmospheric in 5.1 for an Indian film.
    Also avoid region 1's as they are rental copies with no subtitles and no extras.
    coolgools

------------------
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE...YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!!

[This message has been edited by coolgools (edited 17-01-2001).]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've been lent a few from a mate of mine. He has mainly bought from DVDBOXOFFICE, I believe.

I recently watched Sholay. It's been remastered with 5.1 dd sound and quite a good picture for it's age (70's). Sound wasn't too good though, the surround speakers kept cutting out.

5. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found some good dvds on http://www.indiaengine.com check out their indiashop page which features dvds from amazon.