Bolivar Speaker Works?

JDXAV

I've been given a pair of these:
IMG_20190203_001553__01.jpg

"Bolivar Speaker Works model 64". They're I guess a few decades old and HUGE (like 3 foot tall by a foot by 18", maybe 20kg each).

The original owner was a proper music geek which leads me to believe they were good back in the day but I know nothing about them and speaker tech has moved on, so I wondered if anyone here is familiar with them?

I wondered how they can have per speaker EQ is that common?
Also they are 4Ohm but I think all my kit is 8... How do I rig them?

larkone

You might have more success asking on a US forum as this is predominately UK

dogfonos

Now there's a blast from the past. I heard these American Bolivar 64 speakers way back in the late 1970's when I went along with a friend to a demo in London. They got a decent review in the hifi press, if I remember correctly, can't remember which publication though. They were certainly not high-end speakers, as sold here in the UK.

The demo pitted the Bolivar 64 against the British Tangent TM1 and my friend chose the latter. Personally, I wouldn't have given either of them house room as both had obvious failings. The Tangent TM1 had absolutely no mid-range and the treble of the Bolivar sizzled for some time after the signal had ended (though they did have a PA-style big, gusty sound).

Here's some more info. I stumbled across:

Defunct Audio Manufacturers - Bi to Bq - audiotools.com.

diyAudio - BOLIVAR SPEAKER WORKS info

I guess you've taken the front covers off? What condition are the bass driver surrounds in? Most would have perished by now though they may have been repaired.

I wondered how they can have per speaker EQ is that common?
Also they are 4Ohm but I think all my kit is 8... How do I rig them?

Only a few passive hifi speakers had (or have) level controls for the mid and treble drivers. Opinion is likely to be divided over whether such EQ is a good thing or not.

Most modern transistor amps are happy driving a 4 Ohm speaker per channel (though probably not two pairs of 4 Ohm speakers if the amp has the facility to connect two pairs of speakers [i.e. speaker A + B] and they are used at the same time) - check your amplifier spec.

The physical format of these Bolivar speakers, i.e. large stand-mounts, fell out of fashion (at least in the UK) many years ago so some classic UK large stand-mounts like the Spendor BC1, Mission 770, Celef PE1 etc, often represent second hand bargains.

Aspooler

Novice Member
I owned a pair of Bolivar 64 and had many years of pleasure until the bass speaker perished. It was paired with a Dual deck and a Roger's A75. The sound combination was great and my music sounded superb. So yep it may not be everyone cup of tea , but for me they performed and gave great pleasure.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom