boilers coming on

Reaction score
Does anyone know the reason why our boiler seems to come on as and when it pleases? i can understand if you turn the hot water on but at times you hear the click and it starts working away, even when we are sleeping etc.

Thermostat?

Or is this a joke about a girlfriend/wife?

BB

:laugh: lol mine does the same nothing to worry about , say for example you have your hot water thermostat set to 70 as soon as the water heat drops below that it will fire up again to maintain the temperature mine does it a few times a day :smashin:

which reminds me i need to turn mine down :)

Coming on as in lighting or just whirring? If it's just whirring it may be that the central heating pump is being cycled for a minute or two every 24hrs to prevent it from seizing during the summer months when you're not using the heating.

by the sounds of it, it is igniting and working away. What should my hot water be set at? i had a nob in where the boiler is and im sure its on 160 lol

Sounds like the boiler is heating up the small hot water store.
If your boiler has an "eco" button, this will stop it happening.
The downside is waiting a little longer for hot water when you turn the hot tap on.

we wait long enough now for it to get hot lol, its just a standard boiler, not a combi or anything. There is no sign of an eco button im afraid

Its not located in a cold location is it?

Does anyone know the reason why our boiler seems to come on as and when it pleases? i can understand if you turn the hot water on but at times you hear the click and it starts working away, even when we are sleeping etc.
It certainly shouldn't happen whilst you're sleeping, as hot water and heating should be off at that time. As metropolis says, check your timer.

Other than that, it's normal for it to cycle to maintain the hot water temperature. Make sure it's not set too hot: just hot enough for washing up is correct. Start with the tank thermostat at 60C/140F, and see how you go.

we wait long enough now for it to get hot lol, its just a standard boiler, not a combi or anything. There is no sign of an eco button im afraid

So presumably that means you've got a hot water tank (In the airing cupboard perhaps).

The boilers job in this case is to make sure that tank is full of hot water at the right temperature - so if it was set to be on all the time, even if you didn't use any hot water, the boiler should come on periodically to keep the tank temperature up.

But you don't need your hot water tank to be 'ready' all the time - hopefully you boiler has some kind of clock attached to it - either on the boiler itself or as a seprate device, that controls the hot water timing - it will probably be labelled HW.

Find the clock, and then adjust the HW times so that it comes on say an hour before you get up - this will then give the boiler chance to replace any heat in the hot water tank that has been lost in the night.

right, there is a control thing at the side of the boiler in the kitchen, i have switched it from ON to AUTO and then i set a program cycle which had on / off / on / off / on / off so i was able to set it to come on 3 times a day and go off, i tested it and put the time for one minute, it did indeed come on and the water was hot compared to having it on auto but not in its scheduled time.

Now is it better for me and my partner to have it on something like that, i work shifts and she does 7.30 - 5pm

will i actually save anything

so do i ignore the time settings or just leave at they are?

Can you confirm you have a hot water tank ?

If so - lets imagine you need hot water from say 7.00am to 8.30am. In that case I'd set the HW to come on at say 6.30 and go off at 8.00am. That will give it chance to bring the temperature of the water in the hot water tank up to the required temperature.

Work out other times you need hot water during the day and apply roughly the same sort of rules. The better your hot water tank is lagged, the less pre-heating your boiler will have to do, and so it can be switched on closer to the required time of use.

Yes I have a hot water tank upstairs in the smaller bedroom in an airing cupboard. Will don the above help me out with regards to gas cost as our last 3 monthly was 166 an we only used gas to cook although not often due to shifts an then the obvious baths an showers, heatingg ain't been on once since winter.

sounds about right too me , i live in a 2 bedroom semi and mine is on par with that :smashin:

You're either getting ripped off by your energy provider, or you should look into getting a new boiler. My current monthly average is about £34, for a 4 bed property.

average :eek:

Its only a 3 bed semi, i work shifts and my partner works. Electric is about average ide say at £96 for 3 months, its the gas which i find staggering especially in the summer

average :eek:

Its only a 3 bed semi, i work shifts and my partner works. Electric is about average ide say at £96 for 3 months, its the gas which i find staggering especially in the summer

Agreed. I'm just giving you my figures for comparison. I know exactly how much gas I'm using because I take regular meter reads and track it using an iPod app. Gives me usage graphs and average energy usage stats.
Your electric costs are about the same as mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom