Bogof Ripoff!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Family Guy, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be fooled guys...Buy One Get One Free deals aren't always as good as they seem...
    Play are doing the new Thunderbirds original series DVD's at £14.99 with BOGOF. Tesco are selling them for £7.49...EACH!! So buy 2 from Tesco's and save youreself a penny on the price of 2 at Play... :thumbsdow

Another good example is the recent revamped 20th Century Fox discs...the likes of ID4 and the Abyss and Braveheart. HMV & Virgin, priced at £22.99 each, with BOGOF. Blockbuster were selling the same dics at £10.99 EACH!!...a saving of a pound when you buy 2 compared to the BOGOF offer... :thumbsdow

2. Clive_Evil_C

Clive_Evil_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You get the thunderbirds dvds even cheaper sepretly on amazon! Not that I'm interested you understand, lol

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

It's a retail tradition isn't it? Some people only need to see the bogof sign to go into a spending frenzy without actully looking at the true price :thumbsdow

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just tell them to Bog Off! :D

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,056
    Aside from an occasional mistake in some stores, the Alien series was similarly priced differently recently eg 22.99 BOGOF in HMV, 9.99 each in Sainsburys.

6. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ye si got caught by this, virgin were doing 3 for £18.00, and i think play were doing them slightly cheaper

It pays to wait. personally i have a list of all R2 films that i want, if i see them in a shop i will note the price then look online at work, if the shop is cheaper i go back after work.

more time consuming, but worth it

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i got 6 dvd's in the 3 for £18 deal but i couldn't have got most of them, like Cypher Ltd Edition, Paycheck etc ; cheaper at the time. There were 2 that were cheaper on play including mulholland drive, but since they were there i just decided to get them.

I hate BOGOF sales though, HMV are the worst culprits, everything that was £9.99 RRP last week suddenly costs £19.99. Surely there should be some sort of law preventing that?

Woolworths are the only ones who do good BOGOF sales as far as i can remember, they don't put the prices up so you can get some good deals.

8. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually hate buy one get one free offers because you're committed to buying two when usually you really only want one of them. The whole offer is driven to seem like a real bargain when really, generally, it's not.

what I find amusing is when they charge £22.99 or something like that in a two-for-one when nobody's going to pay £22.99 normally anyway, all they have done is nudged up the price from normal ...sods

9. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    To all you doom and gloom merchants today I picked up the 2 disc SE Casablanca and 2 disc Citizen Kane in 2 for £20 offer. Had a quick look on dvd price checker and the cheapest I could find them was £14.99 each. So sometimes there are bargins to be had.

Plus there is the convenience of getting it there and then must also count for something, I now tend not to buy discs when they first come and instead wait till the come down in price so on a Saturday afternoon should I pop into HMV to see what the new BOGOF is there are at least a couple of tiles I will want. Yes but I do agree that most titles can be had cheaper on-line, infact most new discs can be had for £10 anyway if you go the R1 root.

10. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If you usually wait for the prices to come down before buying then you should be able to spot Casablanca or Citizen Kane for under a tenner each anyway, sooner or later. ;)

11. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the law states they have to have them on sale for a certain amount of time in one of their shops nationwide at that price they say they used to cost. Of course thats only when they reduce itdown and say WAS 19.99 now 9.99. I dont think the law covers the rrp of bogof offers.

12. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Woolies are reaaly bad for this, :thumbsdow if you see one you want chances are it'll be on sale most other places elswere. I try to buy from the sale racks now anyhow as the choice is so much better these days, but every now and then i can't hold out but never mind.

Cheers

13. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    £10 is usually enough for me to go into a frenzy dvd buying mode

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    anything above 7.99 in a dvd sale doesn't cry out to me, unless it's a recent release. above 9.99 i don't even look twice at.

15. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty much the same except lately I have bought so many DVDs under £6 that even £8 seems overpriced, then I go and contradict myself by buying a Japanese release for nearly £30!

16. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I wouldn't purchase anything from Tesco if I were you, I mean Tesco online :thumbsdow , as they are notorious for confirming your order and cancelling the order later(BLADERUNNER ANYONE???). :nono: :thumbsdow

A shocking company which deserve a good kick in the pants :