1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bog standard laptop as HTPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Chris Rhys, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Chris Rhys

Chris Rhys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently got into CRT projection and have acquired an old Barco data 600. My plan was to use my laptop for the best image quality however due to the ageing nature of the Barco I need to spend 50 dollars on a sync converter to output composite sync from the VGA to BNCs. I'm trying to do this on the cheap but am I wasting my time thinking that my office laptop can do the Home Theatre thing? This is only for DVDs. Here's the spec:

Intel Celeron 1.7 gighz
    256 RAM
    Intel GM graphics 64 Meg
    Windows XP

The image on the laptop is absolutely lovely using WinDVD at 800x600 and with a couple of PowerStrip colour tweaks. I prefer it to the image on my current family desktop which is a 2.7ghz, 512ram with GeForce FX 5200 64meg. Is there any reason to think that this won't transmit to the CRT image?

My plan was to get a USB sound device to then output to an AV receiver, my only worries here being DTS compatibility and never having seen a headphone to phono coaxial cable (I haven't looked that hard yet).

Sorry if I sound paniced over niggles but CRT repairs are gonna cost me and I'm keen not to waste any more money on this project.

Cheers

Chris.