• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bodget - PC to Plasma (For movies)

D

DannyM

Right, im wanting, bacially to connect my computer in my living room to my Panasonic 42" plasma also in the living room, the equipment i think i will need for this is;

1 - 10/15m VGA Cable
2 - DVI to VGA Connetor
3 - 10/15 Meter Phono Cable
4 - A Phono Splitter Cable

I've currently got a ATI Redeon X850PT 256MB and a decent enough processor/memory to run things, now i am trying to do this as cheap as possible i reckon it will cost about £30 or around that. This is until i can afford a media center PC.

Basically im just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so is the quality any good? Im just going to be watching movies through it so im looking for quality too. I reckon i will lose sound quality a bit but hoping it will be okay still.

Comments/Suggestions appreciated :thumbsup: .

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 39241

Best option is DVI to DVI using a DVI cable.
Second best is VGA to VGA using a VGA cable.
Why would you want to convert VGA/DVI?
With regard to sound - do you use a separate amp, or does the tv do the sound?
You should not lose sound quality if you use a decent cable and go direct from your pc soundcard to the tv or amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DannyM

Well i say DVI to VGA because, its going to work as a second monitor, the X850 has 1xVGA and 1xDVI and the VGA is used for my 17" LCD Monitor, and the Panasonic Viera has no DVI input, only a VGA input, thats why i was going to do DVI to VGA.

Also the sounds direct from the sound card =].

PeteD64

deleted member said:
Why would you want to convert VGA/DVI?

It's not converting AFAIK. DVI on the graphics card is almost certainly DVI-I which gives you both digital & analogue. I think the adapter just connects the analogue pins on the DVI socket to the correct ones on the VGA cable.

Danny

There are some threads around of other people who have connected PCs to plasmas & quality can be pretty good, particularly if you use some of the better decoders and/or post-processing tools like ffdshow.

I've done it on an LCD screen but it can be more tricky on plasmas when they don't have square pixels. E.g. is your panel 1024x768?

D

Deleted member 39241

Yes, I meant convert the connection - not the analog/digital signal. I connect my MCE to my panasonic PW7 plasma via DVI. It just behaves like a big monitor, there shouldn't be any problems, and quality should be very good. You may need to experiment with different resolutions - my panel is SD 852 x 480, and I find 1024 x 576 best via DVI and 1280 x 720 best via VGA. Also remember to change the refresh rate to 50hz for PAL material.

D

DannyM

Right, well i'm not sure what the native res is for a Panasonic 42" Viera, I remember connecting it once before to play pes on, its looked clearer in 1024x768 but also worked with 1280x1024. I belive i ran the refresh rate at 60hz.

Also could someone possibly point me in the right direction to a guide explaining how to take the connection part of a vga cable off and reconnect it, as i want to run all the cables under the floorboards and dont want to be creating massive cutouts in the floorboard!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom