Bob Marley - Legend

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Amal99, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Amal99

Amal99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just the other day I had nothing to do and decided to listen to this album.

Its only when I sat down and concentrated purely on the music did I realise how good it sounds! Most of the recordings are very old (Three Little Birds for example is 20-25 years old) yet it sounds better than the majority of albums released today. Along side the cd it says "Remastered" so im assuming they cleaned up and enhanced the original recording from a tape or some other analogue format.

However, just by listening to this I was shocked at how clear his voice (as well as The Wailers) sound. Even the bass on "Is This Love" has been recordered and remastered extremely well. All of the tracks left my jaw on the carpet.

I know there are those who would argue that they hate the remastered versions as they prefer to hear the scratching of the record or other sounds that just happen to be there but werent originally meant to exist, and I respect that, sometimes the scratching of the vinyl just gives it that 'real' music type feeling.

Anyone else heard this particular remastered album? What are your thoughts? Just thought it would be worth mentioning, I have the 2002 re-issue single CD version (the original Legend was released back in 1984).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. stasis

stasis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi, Legend is a quality recording and a great album.:cool: I remember using it as a demo disc when I bought a Rotel amplifier and Linn Index speakers back in 1987. I also used it to set up the settings when I connected up my BK monolith subwoofer.

There are a lot of really good sounding albums from the sixties and seventies. I know that many people prefer the original recordings to the remasters. I have had several remasters where they have even added bonus tracks into the middle of the original release and ruined the flow and ambiance of the original release.

I think a lot of remasters have been an excuse to get music fans to double dip on a favourite record. The original master tapes for older albums are still capable of good sounding music without too much need for cleaning up.
    It is clear that there was a lot of pride and care taken with many recordings to produce a quality product. I am not so sure that there is as much effort put into most records today. Mind you there has been some horrendous rubbish produced in the past as well mind you.

The 30th anniversary SACD/ CD remaster of Dark Side of the Moon is an excellent example of the benefits that a good sympathetic remaster can offer. It must be said that DSOTM always was a great recording.
    I recently bought the remasters for 5.1 SACD / CD of the 5 Genesis albums from 1970-75. I was very impressed with the sound improvements achieved.
    It is always the quality of the music that counts the most I suppose.
    It is nice to hear that Bob Marley and the Wailers are still appreciated.
    I think I will give it a spin sometime soon.
    regards stasis.

3. jon12355

jon12355

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Love this album, always on stanby on the ipod for when i want to chillax.

4. soundstory

soundstory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    :thumbsup:I've always loved the Live babylon by bus cd

5. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Few weeks ago I was in HMV and bought Bob Marley and the Wailers - Africa Unite, The Singles Collection probably 90% the same tracks on the Legend album, found myself singing along to most of the tracks..top album :)

Curly

6. Amal99

Amal99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Interesting read.

Im 18 and pink flloyd and genesis are not my kind of music, but I do appreciate your point of view and satisfaction from a quality recording :)

Sometime in the future I would like to invest in a SACD or DVD-A player, but as it stands, there just isnt enough music available on SACD for it to be worthwhile for me to buy a player (and the fact that im always broke).

Glad to see there are a lot more people than I originally thought who like this album, as well as bob marley and the wailers other albums :clap: