1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BoB fever!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Test005, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OMG! I bought the Band of brothers box yesterday...
    Now I have decided to wait until the weekend to see it all in one sitting.
    I'm constantly fingering the box and feel like I just came in from the desert and are holding a bottle of chrystal clear, cold springwater in my hands.... AgHHhh.... Need, to,, stay,,away.,,..

I'm a dedicated WW2 buff and from what I've heard of this series, OMG! I'm loosing it!!!

4 days and counting....

*Sorry for the llame post!*

-T5-

2. Duvel

Duvel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just finished watching this (R2 Tin) and have to place it in the top 3 of my collection. Fantastic series from start to end.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    :eek:

Perhaps you are one of the French or Dutch respondants on the General chat thread ;)

4. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would actually put it there at No. 1 in my collection.

With the amp turned up, me parked on the sofa with supplies, I watched the whole lot in a single day. I only managed it by banishing the missus up to my sisters for the day to go shopping, so wasn't a cheap day in after all ;)

Seriously, it is a well made series (and should be with the amount they spent) and it does give a good idea of what it must have been like, if you ignore the historical errors.

There was talk straight after HBO released BofB that they were considering using the same team to do a series on WW1. Anybody know if anything happened about that ?

Cheers

Ian

5. bastogne

bastogne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >if you ignore the historical errors.

Such as?

6. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karkus30, no sexual meaning intended. But I guess it sounded bad :devil:
    English is after all not my mother tongue and the way the language is poisoned from slang & bad mouthing, it's hard to avoid making a fool of oneself :confused:

I saw the "We stand alone together" documentary on disc 6 yesterday. It' soo cool to listen to these old veterans sharing their memories.
    I'd like to sit down with'em and pick their brain for a day or two!

*Lest we forget*

7. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bastonge,

It would take me an age to point them all out. Much better, have a read of these few pages here: http://www.101airborneww2.com/bandofbrothers.html

I would agree that the whole series was much closer to the 'real thing' than for example "Saving Private Ryan" etc. but even so, I spotted quite a few things that really shouldn't have happened.

Saying that, I would by no means say that BofB was bad/poor etc. As I said above, even with the historical errors, this is still my No.1 in my DVD collection and the No. 1 thing I've seen on TV.

Cheers

Ian

8. bastogne

bastogne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Ian

I had read Mr Bando's comments awhile back. Amusingly, Mr B feels he should have been the historical consultant on BoB rather than Dale Dye's team. I rather think his 'reviews', along with his constant refrain of 'if only the filmmakers had asked me!', should be read in that light.

IMO Bando fails to recognise that, at the end of the day, BoB is a drama not a documentary. I mean, complaining about the stitching on a costume or that a real soldier is shorter in height than the actor portraying him may qualify as a technical inaccuracy but I expect something a bit more substantial than that if we're to use the term 'historical inaccuracy'.

9. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I guess that is fair point. I also read his pages with the feeling he was upset he wasn't asked to advise, but I thought I was just being cynical. ;)

Very true, not a documentary. But even so, I noticed a few things Bando noticed (before I read his breakdown) and thought, surely they could have got that correct for almost zero effort. Having studied the 101st extensively during education some things just didn't seem to tally, but hey, I'm not going to get upset about it. Maybe I should retract "historical inaccuracy" and replace with "Some fine detail could have been done differently" :D

Damn, I sound like an anorak now :rolleyes:

Anyway, none of it detracts from the fact that the whole of the BofB series was right up there as the best viewing I've ever sat through. T5, enjoy it.

Cheers

Ian

10. dgj

dgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound is great in DTS, you can't help ducking in the battle scenes with the bullets flying around.

11. DVD God

DVD God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is one of 'The God's' favourite box-sets, especially the tin ;)

You are right about the DTS sound - absolutely fantastic. Anyone know if there will be any more episodes/another series made?

12. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read that artical about the geezer moaning, what's right and wrong with B.O.B.

I must admit, that man's suffering from sour-grapes syndrome. I started laughing when he stated that the "crickets they were using were the wrong colour". Come on, mate. Lighten-up!

B.O.B was a fantastic piece of drama and very moving in places. Especially the episode, in which, E comp find the 'Concentration Camp'. Did he moan about that? Cause frankly, I couldn't be bothered to read that far.

This man needs to stop stamping his feet. And IMO, if he feels its wrong, he should go off and make his own version.

Also, I didn't hear the Vets complaining too much about it, and they were there.

JD

PS. By the way, that DTS track is very good. Don't know how The Digital Bits, said they couldn't tell any difference between that and the DD track.

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Only messing with you;) theres a thread in general chat about how many times the average person has sex, I read your thread straight after.

Ive been considering buying BOB, as I never saw it on TV. Is it split into episodes or just one long film?

14. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's 6 discs.
    5 discs with 2 episodes each, and the 6:th disc is filled with
    documentary, veteran interviews, making of etc...

10 episodes total and I recon they are about one hour each.

Well worth the money IMHO, it's damn good all of it.
    What R U waiting 4?, go get it!

-T5-

15. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I looked at the box set at the local virgin shop (or whatever they are now calling it) it was 54.99 UKP, my wife persuaded me it would be a lot cheaper in the next couple of months, or I could order through cd wow.

16. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched the entire series this weekend...WOW!
    It was better than expected and the 10 hours went way to fast :(

I would say that this is very much "bang for the buck"!
    Unfortunately I don't have the cool tin box, but I only payed €49.90:- For the paper box and that's well worth it!

Going to see it all over again very, very soon :)

-T5-

17. jmcr100

jmcr100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You wouldn't mind letting us know where you got the boxset for 49.90 euros!!!!

18. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got the tin R1 from Amazon.ca for £41

19. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Belive it or not but I got it for €49.90:- in Finland in a big department store.
    If you ask me they have probably marked it with the wrong price because everything is usually very expensive here.

(What's the price for the paperbox elsewhere?)

The box is in paper, but looks pretty cool anyway.
    It's region two and only have Dolby Digital (No DTS).
    5 Discs with episodes + 1 disc with extras.

-T5-

20. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got mine from Amazon.ca, free upgrade to DHL :D Thanks very much.

Excelent series, one of the few things I watched or taped without fail when it was on BBC2, and even better now with DTS and a pause button.

Did anyone else see the street lights at the end of the first episode? When all the planes are taking off into the sunset accross the bottom of the screen at the end of the runway are a line of street lights! £120 million to make and they couldn't afford a quick air brush :eek: :p :rolleyes:

21. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does anybody know if the Region 1 Canadian version of BOB has French writing on its cover.

Thanks

Vince

22. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ordered mine from amazon.ca but im not sure if its an american or canadian disk.

Either way there is NO FRENCH writing anywhere to be seen.

take a look at my dvdprofiler to see the cover pics.

23. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got mine from Amazon.ca as well. The only french is a stero track and some subtitles. :D

24. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well looks like the Canadian version is OK then.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Toonarmy