1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bob Dylan on SACD

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by the_pauley, Sep 20, 2003.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    First phase of the Bob Dylan SACD releases is in the shops. Bought "Blonde on Blonde" yesterday in HMV (incidentally offering a fiver off all titles in the series). At last this classic album is complete - on 2 discs. The single disc version available all these years had several edits made to it, a shameful situation given the album's status.

Only playing it on a standard CD player, but like the Stones reissues the CD track is a noticable improvement on the original, so will be buying some more I think - "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Blood On the Tracks" this afternoon then...

2. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I never knew that "Blonde..." had been butchered for CD. So I've been listening in ignorance all these years ?

May have to pick that up -- might wait for the next HMV sale to see if the new ones are cheaper. You say a fiver off -- how much does that make them then ?

3. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'll answer my own question - Bob SACDs reduced from £16.99 to £11.99 at HMV.

I'll wait for a couple of months to see if they get cheaper in any sales.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    "Blonde On Blonde" although a double CD was priced the same as the rest - don't know if that's a mistake or not.

Yes the original CD release of the album was edited for CD, but gawd knows why because running time was no problem. "Just Like A Woman" fades out prematurely, and "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" has about a minute missing.

5. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought Freewheelin', Desire, and Oh Mercy. Played on a standard CD player, they are all superb! I paid £9.99 each for them from Play. Worth every penny. :D

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    That's the best price yet - let's keep posting if we find any cheaper.

I've got so many SACDs now for the improved CD audio, I'm starting to get curious about what the SACD layer sounds like...

7. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    For info, CD-WOW are now carrying these SACD re-releases for between £10-99 and £12-99.....and there's a limited selection on their Hong Kong site for approx. £8-98, after currency conversion.

...Bootleg Vol. 6 is just round the corner, too.