Boardwalk Empire

With so little time why did they need to waste any on Gillian? Not really a character worth caring about anymore imho.

No, I agree they've made a slight boob there, unless somehow something pays off with it. Her story ended nicely last season, and it was the last we really needed to see.

Loving the Nucky backstory, really felt for the young man at the dinner table.
Great to see the drunk Mrs T, nice to see her get more inventive airtime.
Graham (Capone) is fantastic, which for British viewers isn't anything new, he's been on form for a good while, great casting.

Excellent 4th ep, while 8 feels short, I think the tight script will make for an amazing final season.

Last edited:
Stephen Graham was exceptional in that last episode.

I'm expecting the pace to pick up a bit more with that climax and just 4 episodes remaining.

Just caught up with the first 4 episodes and can't believe there only 4 episodes left to wrap everything up as feels like there's so many more stories left to tell!

The Nucky flashbacks are building up to what I assume will be Gillan' introduction to the Commodore and somehow tie in with her current predicament.

The tense scene with Capone and Van Alden once again produced some comedy gold
“Are you successful?”
“Not really.”
“Why?”
“I get the feeling my boss doesn’t like me.”
:laugh:

Felt sorry for Margaret
trying to play dumb with Mrs Rothstein before having to finally return to Nucky, at least she appeared to impress Kennedy.

A shame we won't get to see any scenes with her and sassy Sally, plus no more smuty phone calls for Mickey Doyle!

The side story with Chalky and the other prisoner seemed a bit pointless but no doubt he'll get to reacquaint himself with Dr Narcisse soon.

Episode 6 was a cracker.

The
demise of 2 major characters - Chalky and Van Alden - was really unexpected.
Great final scenes though.

I also think the character playing young Nucky is an exceptional find. He actually looks like he really could be him when he was younger. He has the mannerisms down to perfection.

Yup, that was a brutal episode alright :eek:

The major characters have been dropping this season almost as rapidly as Game of Thrones, I wonder how long it is until Mickey Doyle's life insurance policy gets cashed in!

Sad to see van Alden go and will miss his deadpan one liners but at least we got one final biblical rant from him before his demise.

Was a surprise to see Daughter return and thwart Chalky' revenge mission, his sacrifice surely to be largely in vain as I can't see the treacherous Narcisse staying true to his word about helping her career.

After the earlier red herring we finally begin to see why Nucky feels such deep guilt about how Gillan ended up with the Commodore. What with the prospect of drastic surgery to cure her hysteria I'm guessing she'll be seeking an alternative method of early release and will be part of Nucky' final act one way or another.

Oh and the actor portraying young Nucky is doing a great job but those gnashers are more Ken Dodd than Buscemi :D

Just finished watching episode 7, another superb episode. Can't believe next week will be the last.... Loads to tie up.

The young Nucky is superb and

The young girl they have got to play young Gillian looks and sounds so much like her it is uncanny!

Great casting.

Episode 6 was a cracker.

The
demise of 2 major characters - Chalky and Van Alden - was really unexpected.
Great final scenes though.

Not specifically those 2 characters but thought it was a bit predictable in that these writers always seem to do something similar when it is the last season but don't have the bottle to do it earlier.

GoT is the exception, but obviously that is to do with George Martin

wow this season has been absolutely astonishing, shows just what can be done if you have a limited run of episodes to finish of a tv show although i wish it had more as i am just loving it.

i wish they had done the flashbacks sooner than S5, i am feeling more of a connection to the characters than i have ever had because it the flashbacks are making them complete and we have never seen that before in this show.

The casting is also amazing, the young versions look and act just as they should. Really great job on that, i feel i need to acquire the previous seasons again and rewatch a some point and see how things are different based on what we know now.

RIP Mickey :(

One Episode left :eek:

The Nuckster's redemption is almost complete. It's been an enthralling journey. Brilliant example of world-class acting, direction, storytelling, costume design, CGI technology working positively and adding to the atmosphere and ambience of the show and its era, great editing at times, the use of music and foley artists to create tension, etc.

One thing I never got used to is the opening credits and its theme song. Doesn't fit properly for me.

This is a great behind-the-scenes documentary by HBO. Farewell to Boardwalk Empire. There are spoilers up to about the latest episode (Season 5, episode 7).

One thing I never got used to is the opening credits and its theme song. Doesn't fit properly for me

It works for me, I think it fits very well.
BTW it's a theme tune, not a "song"
Songs have words.

Really enjoying this series - fantastic acting and the story is moving at a great pace.

I hope it ends ok for Nucky but your luck has to run out some time ............

Will be sad to see it go tbh

Have started this today after finishing Ray Donovan Season 2 last night. Should be caught up by the time the last episode airs.

The absolute best tv I have ever seen. Undeniably well financed and supported but it never crumbled under its own vast ambition. Beautifully written, beautifully shot, superbly acted.

Not denying the quality of acting and shooting, but for me the plots have been average. This season in particular has just been a rush to tie up loose ends by basically killing them off and get to a position where it can end.

This ending should have been built up over a few seasons IMHO rather than the big jump in years between last and this

I thought this season has been very strong, I actually want to continue with the flashbacks to find out more. Amazing show, exquisite production....I could go on...
Can't believe it's over.

Well excellent finale episode, everything about this season has cemented this TV show into my all time hall of fame and i would happily recommend it to anyone.

I wish the flashbacks had been added to the show earlier, i know that isnt what the show is about however i felt it really helped flush out the characters and give them more depth. Obviously it all wrapped up to why the flashbacks were being presented with the start of Nucky Thompson as we know him....

The moment with Al and his son was beautiful, to the crowds he is still a joker but deep down he is a family man and would do anything for his family. Lovely scene with his son putting his dukes up :)

Nice to see Narcise get done - never liked him anyway

Although i liked the ending i felt it might have been a bit of a cop out, revenge plot by Tommy to kill Nucky for what he did to his family... When Tommy Joe in Ep2 with Mickey a lot of people on Reddit said it was Tommy but people were saying the time line didn't add up and his age wasn't right.

I'm not sure either but i suppose the end game was Nucky sacrificed his good nature to get ahead in the world by offering Gillian to the commodore. As such that mistake made him the man he is/was and that ultimately lead to his death.

I'm not sure how else they could have done it but i feel the short 8 episode run had something to play with how the series ended. I would have liked to have seen more from Charlie & Meyer but it wasn't to be... they are one of the bosses now!!!!!

Nucky's face at the end with the bullet hole in his cheek was haunting. I hope Steve Buscemi gets some good recognition from this show. It is well deserved.

Question is do i watch this lot again at some point :D

Great final episode that remained faithful to the purpose of the show, i.e. character development, and didn't resort to an hour's worth of full-on violence and action. It was nicely paced and completed the arcs in a satisfying manner. It wasn't perfect and there's some room for criticism there.

Nucky
was doomed the moment he gave in to fear and pimped out a pre-teen to the disgusting Commodore. Nucky had developed a pathological fear of ending up like his father, and the scolding he received from the Commodore about the true value of eagerness and dedication in the morally corrupt world of politics and power-loving degenerates that Nucky was desperate to penetrate gave rise to the awful decision that would come back to kill him in the end.

But did he
deserve to actually die for betraying Gillian's trust? I don't know if he did. I can understand the fear Nucky developed as a consequence of being exposed to his loser father and his ways of dealing with life's problems, and seeing men like the Commodore get what they want in life while still seeming to be respected by the community must have stirred young Nucky's imagination and his will to live a 'good' life. I think Nucky began his ascent of the social ladder with ambitions that weren't necessarily evil or totally corrupt. Given his own background he was always going to have to sacrifice any moral integrity to reach the heady heights inhabited by people like the Commodore. It's ironic then that the man Nucky looked up to in place of his deadbeat dad is the same person who shattered the last remnants of decency and moral integrity that young Nucky had managed to hold onto.

He wasn't a good man but I admire the fact that he had the ambition and ability to pull himself out of the situation he'd been born into. He'd reached a good station in life without having to corrupt himself, and that's where he should have remained - an officer of the law. He didn't and the rest is history.

^^^

First part ... she was 14 wasn't she not pre-teen, obviously still a monstrous act though

Second part ... don't forget Jimmy

EDIT... sorry, you're right about the first part, 13 when she gave birth, so probably 12 when it all started

No worries. I wasn't entirely sure what age she was, just that she was young. Guessed about 12 or 13. The other comment re. Jimmy: Exactly. Can't be forgotten. Just for that act alone, well...

1 word = Stunning.

I really wasn't sure what to make of the final season, when it was announced it would be just 8 episodes. But my fears were allayed with each week that passed. And last night's finale was up there with The Shield for me.

Everything came together for the end, and it was as perfect an ending as it gets. I don't necessarily mean
Nucky getting shot by Tommy, it was actually that very last scene where he finally grabbed the nickel in the water that got me.
Just fantastic stuff.

I even remember a few weeks back posting in response to a Krish comment, about how the
Gillian storyline should have been let go. How wrong we were, because that was absolutely crucial to the story.
The writers knew exactly what they were doing, and great credit to them for that.

As has been echoed above, the production of this show is undoubtedly the best I have ever seen. What a dream it must have been to have been involved with this for the last 6/7 years. It really deserves some recognition come award season, but there aren't enough trophies to go around!

If the quietness of this thread (the fact one has covered the entire series) is any kind of indication as to how many people have missed out on watching this, it's a great shame that some have failed to watch what might just be the greatest series of them all.

Take a bow all involved. You were magnificent.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom