Boardwalk Empire

Rawschach

Distinguished Member
Agree with above - loads of people i know watch GOT (rightly so) Breaking Bad (understandably) and a few watch Walking Dead (which is good but not as good as the others)

Nobody I know watched this even after i raved about it during series 1

Do people not like historical gangster violence and politics??

The end last night was very well done and this series was very good. I think the show peaked in Series 3 with the Gyp Rosetti storyline as that was incredible - the episode when the crate arrived at the end was up there with GOT as the finest TV in years

Great programme, Buscemi was fantastic as were the majority of the cast. What do i watch now on a saturday night??

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Just finished, echo all of the above, great show, really enjoyed this season, now what to replace it with, many offerings this year....just don't reach the same level....

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Well look at this thread. It's over five years old, and we have come to the end of Boardwalk.
Vicki and I have enjoyed this show a lot. As for the ending, well if the measure of greatness is how much it returns to my thoughts, then the finale was definitely great.

Ollie C

looked it up last night, Nucky died of natural causes. Think it's a bit sh*t that they created a different ending for a real life person. They kept the ending true for Capone getting done for tax evasion and Luciano forming the commission. I know it wouldn't have played out so well with Nucky dying of natural causes but to come up with a completely different ending for him....

Ollie C

Yeah, I missed the name was Johnson when I looked it up. Not so much of an issue then. Still kind of think they should have played out how the real Nucky was, wouldn't be a dramatic ending though I know!

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Loved it from the start, like others here have said though I'm amazed 16 pages have covered all 5 seasons when much lesser TV attracts many more posts.

lentrix

Just finished. Top series

I also rate this in my top 5. Production and acting is/was fantastic and deserves a lot of awards.

Im pleased how it ended, things nicely tied-up.

A part of me wanted to see Nucky sail off into the sunset and live a 'normal' life back with his Margaret. However, if you live in that world there is only ever one outcome in the end ......

gibbsy

Now it's over, certainly one of best shows to come out from HBO and at least they allowed it to be brought to a conclusion. Think Deadwood, the finish of which was criminal. At least we have outstanding blu-ray releases to enjoy.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I highly recommend you guys check out a french TV Series called Showrunners (might even be french canadian). You get around a 60min talk between a moderator and showrunners such as Terence Winter, David Chase, Matt Weiner, Gideon Raff. Really incredibly insightful and an absolute must for fans of the shows these men helmed.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Just finished watching this and really enjoyed the whole show from start to finish however there are some things they could improve on:

When a new series starts they should do a quick recap of what went before. It's often a year between series and by that time I have forgotten a lot of what happened, especially to the smaller characters. It normally takes me 2 or 3 episodes before I understand fully what's going on.
This is only a small grip btw.

johny1980

Just finished watching this and really enjoyed the whole show from start to finish however there are some things they could improve on:

When a new series starts they should do a quick recap of what went before. It's often a year between series and by that time I have forgotten a lot of what happened, especially to the smaller characters. It normally takes me 2 or 3 episodes before I understand fully what's going on.
This is only a small grip btw.

A very good point

But....YouTube usually has official or unofficial recaps

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
A very good point

But....YouTube usually has official or unofficial recaps
True but if you record the whole series before watching it you really don't want to search the internet for recaps in case you get spoilers.

johny1980

You know what....your right

I did that with sons of anarchy and found out a massive spoiler 2 seasons down the line and couldn't bring myself to watch it.

Forgot about that.

So yes unless your in line with the broadcast ignore my suggestion :)

richp007

Distinguished Member
I imagine quite easily they could also write a film of the years we missed between season 4 and 5. But that would mean uniting the cast all at the same time again. That would probably prove tricky.

adonis

Just finished watching the final season, will be missed. Loved this series. What else is next to this?!

funkydamo

Distinguished Member
Well, we have just (for the second time - first time on TV, now on blu ray) finished season 2.
The first 2 seasons are possibly combined the greatest, most touching, well written - acted - and directed production I have ever witnessed.
I didn't get any further than s2 the first time around as we missed the start of s3 and never caught up.
I have to say though I almost felt the events that closed s2 gave me an ending.
I was the first time, and now the second viewing - actually upset at the shock season finale.
Only a great series can grip you and make you genuinely care about the characters.
I'm looking forward to s3 but can't help feeling a sense of loss for the characters that will be absent.

Marshall Mike

Just finished watching all five seasons on bluray. I enjoyed it the first time round on Sky, but binge watching it for a second time I loved it even more.

If you missed this show, or have only seen it once, I highly recommend picking it up on bluray :)

Stockpile Thomas

Distinguished Member
I was slow to like Nucky in Season 1 but now I think he is a really likeable bad person.

New to this and just finished Season 3 but I think this season (and probably S2) have shown him to be a ruthless/nasty piece of work though I was kind of rooting for him when all seemed lost.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland