1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bo55 Man

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Drd, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Sad I know,but I noticed that the new 55 plates are up for grabs on 1st June.Whether you agree with private plates or not I think this is the first time ever when some real fun could be had.I fancy TO55ERS , SWMBO suggested PI55 OFF (or was that directed at me?),then went off in a sulk when I told her she couldn't have an 'I',muttering something that sounded like KI55 ARS!I'm sure there's going to be trouble with some of these.Any suggestions for personal favourites? :D

2. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aren't the DVLA supposed to prevent rude number plates from making it onto cars? I know that PEN1S made it onto a car and probably goes for a LOT of money. But I'm pretty sure there were never any registrations issued starting F1J.. or C1J... (you fill in the blanks) for reasons of decency.

3. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but as for personal favourites... gotta be PI55HED for me :thumbsup:

it could be read either way, but either way I can see the owner getting pretty sick of performing breath-tests!

Kev

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    They won't issue any rude ones.

There are strict rules over fonts , letter size & group spacings. If you break these & are prosecuted then DVLA will revoke the plate (that you maybe paid £1,000's for) & issue you with just another hum drum run of the mill VRM.

5. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has to be be Nigel Lawson best work * - making money from selling personalised plates. Not a great fan of them but if it subsidises my tax bill then great.

* not counting Nigella :devil:

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,207
    It’s a shame they do not just use standard lettering. In the last few days I have seen some in gothic script, one in digital ( I could not make out if it was a 5 or a S) and one a saw yesterday was in something that I could the car in front of it before I got close enough to read his and the spacing was , well there was non. I have also seen black studs placed in the wrong place to mace a number or letter look like something else.

Surprising when I went the get the plate of my car made up I asked if the lettering and the number where wider apart and was told there was restrictions on it, but it would have made the reg more easy to read yet some people get away with anything.

I think there should be clampdowns on these easily miss read plates as as if the are involved in a accident they could flee the scene of the crime and be untraced.

7. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about "KD55 RPD"?

If you look at it closely, it says 'Spending money on a personal plate is vain, pointless and tacky'.

8. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'B1GUS' and '5EGA' are local to me plus 'BAD 808'

9. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I can't really be bothered with personalised number plates but i did have to smile when i saw TAH 90T.

Not very exciting, but bottom stroke of the "9" did not curl under in the font in which it was printed, and when i saw it in my rear view mirror, it read "TOP HAT"

A.

P.S. - and there was the time i saw a Range Rover Vogue SE with a non-personalised plate that just happened to be my initials..................... :(

10. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Of course, it would just be simpler to change your name to match your number plate.

11. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Only my opinion but I can never understand anybody paying £X000's for personalised number plates. We should do like the americans where you can have what you like (so I believe) so longs as it 7 characters (or something like that). Perhaps Rahl could elaborate more on that, but I remember a Yank car owned by a Brit with the reg 'B O L L O X'.

I could have got L4MLE for £250 a few years back which I could have handed down to my kids. Kick myself now that I didn't get it.

But the saddest are those that go to extremes to say that G146 TLH (for example) makes out the word 'Great hunk'. You see them advertised in the car press and Sunday magazines. No they don't mate. They spell 'SUCK3R' to anybody that believes it.

Chris L4MLE

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    :rotfl:

13. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    From 1/9/2001 all new number plates have to conform to an exact font & any made before that which are substantially different to that font have to be changed as well. Both prior to that date & after are subject top very strict spacing & placement.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm#after2001

The plates you are talking about are illegal & as well as being prosecuted the VRMs could be revoked by DVLA.

Plenty of people do get prosecuted for this.

14. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Wonder how many Mercedes drivers are going to want the plate "SL55 AMG"?

15. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That I imagine will be lawfully displayed & very very expensive.

16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    I imagine that Mercedes might snap that one first along with CL55, ML55 and GL55. Porsche GB actively went looking for useful plates when the rules were relaxed- I certainly remember THE968S doing the rounds when the Porsche 968S was released.

17. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Ha,I hadn't thought of those.I suppose there will be someone with more money than sense willing to part with tens of thousands for the pleasure(?). Me,I'd rather put it towards an AM V8 like cwhelan's wife!

18. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a personnal number plate and I enjoy having it. It was a 30th birthday present from my wife last year.

I wanted A1ANS but aparently that is £64,000 :eek:

19. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    This is what makes me laugh about the whole thing. The DVLA actively encourage people to pay sillly money for personalised registrations through their own auctions and then get self righteous about the spacing of the letters and fine people for tweaking the spacing. It's just so blatantly hypocritical it makes me want to puke TBH. It's like the NHS giving away free heroin and then having police on duty outside the hospital and arresting everyone coming out the free heroin clinic.

Bonkers if you ask me. :suicide:

CL

20. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would agree with you if they advertised the plates showing illegal spacing etc , but if they don't do that, then it is down to the punters I'd say.

21. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    my favourite is still fiona richmond's FU2 :D

as for prosecuting people for playing about with spacing etc to make words - somewhat counter productive - as a cop told me people remember these plates - so if they are ever involved in criminal activities joe public has far more chance of providing a lead

furthermore police and dpp waste time prosecuting people for what is in effect fun when there are far more socially harmful crimes being commited :mad:

whatever the rules and regs relating to plates configuration there is absolutely no problem getting plates made to your spec on the high street - the only problem i ever had was that halfords refused to make me a deeper than normal rear plate (needed on american vehicle to cover manufacturers fixing holes designed for american plates)

was also told that if you have plates made today they must display either the name of vehicle supplier or the plate manufacturer - i did not want this (if you want me to advertise for you - YOU pay me) told shop this and they made plate without 'extras'

and yes i have a personal plate but in legal script etc :D

22. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Or as another cop tells you
    because of the way the spacing is changed makes poeple think that a number is a letter or vice versa. If someone is swearing blind that a "O" was a "0" then that can be all that is required to create doubt in the persons mind on the correct VRM or create doubt in a court case & a defendant gets off with it. (failde to stop accident & theft of petrol are typical examples , not to mention even more serious offences)

We have the regulation formats so that people know where letters should be & where numbers should be , not to try & make each look like the other. You used to be able to have different fonts & because this was a problem the law has changed since 2001 so that you have to have the standard font. Spacing etc was law before that & has remained so (though sizes allowed have changed)

That includes motorbikes that ride around with a rear plate only about 1" high. They are illegal too.

Like anything it's your choice but don't bleat if you get prosecuted & the number revoked. It happens.

The plates must conform to British standard which means they MUST be marked with & have the following rules applied to be legal.

1)The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)
    2)The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)
    3)The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)
    4)A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.
    5)There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

It is not against the law to own a personal plate & there is nothing wrong with that, but it is to alter it's appearance from standard formats to make it a fashion accessory.

23. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    as you are no doubt in the 'trade' :D

correct me if i'm wrong but if you include the euro symbol its means that the correct spacing as defined within the law cannot be achieved :confused:

as for getting prosecuted - i would just plead ignorance - i have the receipt from the shop that made the plates and i did produce my registration documents (something you forgot to mention in your reply :D ) and i assumed that they would never make illegal plates!!

as for people reading and remembering reg numbers you will no doubt have found out how poor peoples eyesight and memory are on these issues - hell half the time they can't remember the colour of the vehicle ;)

and if its a 'real crime' they will usually have false plates anyway or the vehicle will have been nicked!

24. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It is an irrebutable presumption of law that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

You will be convcited of offences that you commit when ignorant of the fact that they are an offence. The offence that the person making them for you commits is a seperate offence & is no defence to you. You may use what you say in mitigation, but mitigation only comes after conviction.

25. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

what about the euro symbol question??

26. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's on the link that I provided earlier..........happy reading :)

27. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,207
    What happens if there is an accident the driver leaves the scene of the crime and puts the plates on he should have had on in the first place.
    Then he can deny it was ever him as he does not have such a registration. And how do you track a car that you can nether read (use of wrong font or size or black studs being used to make different letter up) ?

28. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Personally, I think the reason they've brought in the 'Standard' letter sizing and font is because the digital speed cameras wouldn't be able to read the other license plates.

More money for the government.

Richie.

29. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dammit, that was my pension, now you've ruined it and told everyone !

30. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Actually,having thought about it,there're going to be lots of CL55 etc,as each will have 3 different letters to follow.Perhaps they will not be so expensive after all.