Question BNC v Ethernet CCTV system

bartjunited

Standard Member
Reaction score
HI all I need a basic 3 camera cctv system.
I currently have a couple of Ring wifi cameras which I dont like and arent very good as they are slow to respond and most of all at a glance you cant see all cameras as you would with a cctv system
Ive been looking at Swann and HIK systems using BNC cables as if i used an IP based system I wouldnt be able to run a cable direct to my router and would have to use a powerline adaptor to connect my box to the router. PLus if i had to make the ethernet cables longer or shorter i dont know how to crimp to do that.

So Im looking at some BNC systems

My questions are

For my simple set up is BNC ok?
If I use BNC cables and run the cables outside the house would I need to put them in trunking?
If an IP system is better what would you recommend and could I use a Powerline adaptor to connect the box to the router and all cameras will have a direct cable to them?

TIA in advance

Bart

How are you intending to view the images from the cameras , are you intending using a dvr/nvr

If you are looking to view them on a phone or other network device then cameras run on BNC will have the same issue as you will need to connect the DVR to the network

If you are looking to just view directly on the NVR/dvr then neither IP cameras or BNC cameras necessarily have to be connected to the router

I would like to view the images on my phone and possibly a TV. As I'm intending the box to sit in the loft I could run a hdmi cable to a TV in an upstairs bedroom too?

If I use BNC can I connect the DBR to the network via powerline adaptor?

Whether it a dvr with BNC cameras or a NVR with IP cameras makes no difference for the connection to the router . Cabled would be ideal but powerline is an option for both

Thanks is NVR the network video recorder for up systems?
With the above in mind would you recommend a BNC OR IP systen?
My assumption is with IP system is that it's 1 cable to each camera from the NV which carries power and audio/video is that right?

Anything you can recommend in the £300 range?

Yes NVR is network video recorder , I would recommend IP cameras

Yes 1 cable from NVR to each camera carries power and video/audio

3 decent cameras and Decent NVR for £300 will be tricky , we only use professional kit and would be more like £500 . Will also depend on resolution required and amount of storage

Tbh storage is not an issue I'd be happy to see 7 days which is probably a lot more than I need I really want just day to day.
Resolution again open to options I think 2MP would be OK 5 would be better. As this is a home install and I'll be doing it myself hence the budget.

Why IP over BNC for small jobs?
With ethernet or BNC cables would they need to be trunked if they are running outside the house?

Ethernet cables and therefore IP cameras can carry higher resolutions so more future proof , also easier to setup and manage imo.

It doesn’t affect the price greatly really when you take everything into account

Ethernet cables and therefore IP cameras can carry higher resolutions so more future proof , also easier to setup and manage imo.

It doesn’t affect the price greatly really when you take everything into account
Thanks

What brands would you recommend? I've been looking at Swann and HIK Vision?

Do I need to trunk an ethernet cable if its outside or can I just cable clip it due to weather?

I could possibly run a ethernet cable from the loft to the router if I can cable clip it outside the house

Ethernet cable Or BNC cable needs to be external grade if just cable clipped.

We use aspect , lots use Hikvision , Swann I find is just a product to hit a price point .

I would say spend a bit more and have a system that is good quality or not worth having / false economy

Just upgraded my ageing CCTV with UniFi protect cameras and a Cloudkey Gen2 acting as the NVR
Absolute doddle to do and love the software.

Could you please send me a link to this to have a look at as I've nverr heard of them.
Thank you

Are the cameras connected via WiFi?

The cameras are connected via Ethernet (POE)although they do have one in the indoor range that does Wi-fi

have a look at this fir a quick intro.

We also use UNiFi however may be outside OPs budget . 3 cameras , cloud key with 1tb and Poe injectors over £600

Ah apologies didn’t see the budget in the thread.

Yes or a POE switch on your network nearer the cameras which will also power your cameras with a single Ethernet connection. As long as the Camera and Cloudkey (NVR) are all ok the same network.

You could do the following

Cloudkey £190 includes 1TBstorage

3 cameras @ 144 each (G3 Bullet or Dome) £432
or £74 each (G3 Flex) £222
(Or mix cameras)

8 port switch including 4 POE ports £49

So cheapest option for above would be around £460 plus Ethernet cable.

The cameras listed though can go outside but only recommended under eaves or guttering

You will be able to view and control footage from any PC/Mac, smartphone or a media streamer such as Apple TV. No subscription charges.

If you want to add a monitor or TV for always on viewing you will need to add a product called Viewport which adds HDMI port over POE (Optional but around £160 from memory)

It may seem a bit daunting but one of the easiest things I’ve ever put together and just works.

You could do the following

Cloudkey £190 includes 1TBstorage

3 cameras @ 144 each (G3 Bullet or Dome) £432
or £74 each (G3 Flex) £222
(Or mix cameras)

8 port switch including 4 POE ports £49

So cheapest option for above would be around £460 plus Ethernet cable.

The cameras listed though can go outside but only recommended under eaves or guttering

You will be able to view and control footage from any PC/Mac, smartphone or a media streamer such as Apple TV. No subscription charges.

If you want to add a monitor or TV for always on viewing you will need to add a product called Viewport which adds HDMI port over POE (Optional but around £160 from memory)

It may seem a bit daunting but one of the easiest things I’ve ever put together and just works.
Thank you so much for putting that together

I was thinking of actually putting cameras at the top of the house under eaves for ease of installation it would just mean that I can only put them on the front and back of the house and not the side but that might not be too much of an issue as the side of the house is very small and if the front camera is wide enough it could cover the side.

Does this integrate with alexa or google assisant? If I could watch ity via a firestick that would be great too

I have read people on line that have done this but to be honest I don't know much about it as it does require a bit of tinkering but supposedly can be done.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom