BNC question

U

UnderTheMic

Hi everyone first post here. :hiya:

Okay here's my question: Can I use BNC cables to make a long run instead of RGB cables? I'm running to an LCD projector from my HD cable box. Thanks!

Mike

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Simply yes you can but it will only be video. We always used ct100 cable when i worked in AV.

malcolmk

We always used ct100 cable when i worked in AV.
BNC connectors are (usually) designed to fit to RG59 cable. CT100 would probably be too big to fit and isn't the correct cable for video - just like RG59 is pretty hopeless for UHF/ satellite.

U

UnderTheMic

Ahh Thanks! I'm not sure if it would loose quality. I tried to use RCA once and it didn't work if I remember correctly.

malcolmk

Ahh Thanks! I'm not sure if it would loose quality. I tried to use RCA once and it didn't work if I remember correctly.
RG59 cable is very cheap unless you want fancy ultra flexible stuff. Well under £20 for 100 metres of the grade commonly used for cabling up studios. BNC connectors I have bought in bulk for as little as 7 pence each. Remember you need a crimp tool to put the connectors on, except in rare cases.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
And remember that BNC connectors come in both 75 and 50 ohms types (you need 75 ohms for video).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

un1eash

Distinguished Member
My bad i'm getting my CT100 and RG59 cable mixed up, has been 2-3 years since i did AV.

matt41

BNC connectors are (usually) designed to fit to RG59 cable. CT100 would probably be too big to fit and isn't the correct cable for video - just like RG59 is pretty hopeless for UHF/ satellite.

BNC connectors are readily available for 50 and 75 ohm impedance, in varying cable entry sizes, both crimp and clamp types. It's just a case of finding the correct supplier.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello UnderTheMic

BNC is a connector type not a definition of a cable type - once you have the correct cable type sorted you can usually terminate with BNC, RCA, or even VGA (whichever is most appropriate to your kit).

I see your in the USA - what connections are on your Cable box and Projector?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom