1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BNC input to Panny 5 (silly question!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Merritt, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok - so my Panny is now wall mounted & this morning I have received my Lektropacks SCART -> BNC cable. Problem is that because the screen is now wall mounted I cannot see which connections goto where..

In the BNC terminal board manual - the BNC connections are mareked VD, HD, Pr/Cr/R, Pb/Cb/B, Y/G

Now - I am guessing that my RED BNC cable goes to Pr/Cr/R and my Blue one goes to Pb/Cb/B which leaves me with a Yellow and Green BNC cable... can someone please tell me where they go & what the difference is between VD and HD.

Cheers

Steve

2. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume that you are using RGB from the scart.
    Green goes to the Y/G connector.

Yellow goes to the composite video connector (next to the s-video input).

VD & HD are the vertical & horizontal sync usually used in the US. Your screen will use the composite for sync.

Press setup button.
    Change component/RGB-in select to 'RGB'
    Choose signal option
    Change sync to 'video'

This assumes the source is outputting both RGB and composite via the scart (most do).

Enjoy!

3. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Giles.. all sorted.

BTW - is it 'normal' to be able to see some of the 'compression' like pixelation from an NTL digital box? It is only really evident on some channels but this tends to disappear if you select composite rather than RGB...

I guess this could be a totally new thread!

Cheers

4. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve -

By 'pixelation' do you mean blocky patches (I think its called digital artifacting)?

I've got NTL and it does it all the time on certain channels. I think it becomes more visible using the RGB rather than composite - its not that its not there, but it tends to be better masked.

I decided to go the component route rather than RGB - got a converter box (RGB to component) from JS. This, of course meant that the DVD etc. connected to the inputs also had to be component.

The picture is much better than composite, but you still get those blocks...

Let me know if you experience the lipsync issues discussed elsewhere - I'm starting to notice it now!

5. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Giles - yep that sounds about right... I guess its common then. Im not too bothered at the mo because as you say, the picture is better masked whilst using composite so its not as obvious for the channels that are affected... RGB is obviously better for the ones that aren't.

With regards to the Lip Sync prob... I have noticed it once or twice on some channels (significantly) but most of the time I find it either un-noticable or so insignificant that I have to REALLY look for it...

So far im really impressed with the screen... The only problem now is that I need a new everything else to compliment it. Prolly starting with a decent DVD player/recorder with RGB passthru!

Cheers for your help

Steve