BMW X 5/ NISSAN QASHKAI - Used BMW X5 or Nissan Qashkai? What to choose?

goodfella1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm going to buy a new car soon, so I'd like you to share your opinion on the following matter: what is better - a 5 years old Nissan Qashkai or a 10 year old BMW X5?

I mean, what would you buy for roughly the same price? Nissan for £12500 or BMW for £10000.

I presume that parts for BMW would be more expensive. But how much more? Approximately. Give examples, if possible.

How much more expensive would be overall running cost of BMW, if it would?

Thank you in advance.

Personal opinion - any car at 10 years old is going to start having issues and the costs can mount up quickly. I would personally go for the Nissan.
Having said that, I guess it's also important to mention that you should buy a car based on it's condition rather than it's age or mileage.

Personal opinion - any car at 10 years old is going to start having issues and the costs can mount up quickly. I would personally go for the Nissan.
Having said that, I guess it's also important to mention that you should buy a car based on it's condition rather than it's age or mileage.
Thank you. That's exactly the same what i think.

My wife bought a 2015 Qashquai (N Tec+ spec) a few months ago. I wasn’t keen as they’re so common, but bloody hell it’s a brilliant car and I can understand now why they’re so popular and regarded as the best in their class.

The 1.5 diesel has plenty of power, the car itself handles well and is amazing on long journeys. We’ve taken it on two 1,600 mile round trips to the Alps, doing the 800+ miles in one day each time, and it hasn’t missed a beat. And we got out at the end not feeling at all like we’d just done a 16 hour drive. We averaged around 45mpg, that’s fully laden and with 4 bikes on a towbar bike rack. Normal motorway journeys it’ll average 50+. It’s got 75k on the clock but drives like new.

I’m a sports car fan so usually ‘normal’ cars are just completely uninteresting to me, but I can’t recommend one of these enough.

We have a 2017 1.2 dig-t Tekna Qashqai. It has everything you could want on a car and is mega safe with parking sensors and cameras all round, Drives nice even on its 19" wheels.

You’ll need a big maintenance budget for that 10 year old X5!

Tyres, oil, fuel......

We had a Qashqai for just under 2 years, it was the new model 1.2. It was named the gutless wonder as the 1.2 turbo matted to a 6 speed box really didn't suit the car. On the motorway if you dropped from say 80 to 60 (yes in Germany) it took an age to pick the speed back up.

On the flip side it had all the safety toys you would want, albeit we turned off the lane recognition as even travelling down a normal road if you had to pull out to avoid a pothole etc without indicating the alarm went off.

We didn't fine it that economical either and the panoramic creaked like hell, the dealer could not fix it!!!

The 2 cars you've mentioned are like comparing apples and oranges. What is it that you need from a car?

We ditched the Nissan in favour of a Merc E250 AMG, the first diesel we've ever had, it was 3 years old, but well worth it.

If you go to look at a Nissan Qashqai then take a good look at the front subframe!
Check for rust or corrosion, especially around the suspension mounting points.
I've seen a good few of these with rotted front subframes.
If you see one that you like make sure you get the subframe protected from rust!

At that price range, I'd choose neither as there's plenty of other options in the price range but of the two, the Qashqai.

Why are you looking at these two cars in particular? If it helps, a Kadjar shares the same parts as the Qashqai and looks better (disclaimer: not a recommendation)

We had a Qashqai for just under 2 years, it was the new model 1.2. It was named the gutless wonder as the 1.2 turbo matted to a 6 speed box really didn't suit the car. On the motorway if you dropped from say 80 to 60 (yes in Germany) it took an age to pick the speed back up.

On the flip side it had all the safety toys you would want, albeit we turned off the lane recognition as even travelling down a normal road if you had to pull out to avoid a pothole etc without indicating the alarm went off.

We didn't fine it that economical either and the panoramic creaked like hell, the dealer could not fix it!!!

The 2 cars you've mentioned are like comparing apples and oranges. What is it that you need from a car?

We ditched the Nissan in favour of a Merc E250 AMG, the first diesel we've ever had, it was 3 years old, but well worth it.

I can't imagine any car (especially that size) having any grunt with a 1.2L engine...

I can't imagine any car (especially that size) having any grunt with a 1.2L engine...

Its not to bad and there actually not that big by today's standards, 115ps and 140 ft lb.

I've a petrol 1.2 3cyl turbo Citroen C4 what used to be grand picasso and believe me it shifts, as good as the previous 1.6td that it replaces. Accelerates very rapidly and cruises effortlessly on the m/w.

Before I got the car I was like you, couldn't believe a 1.2 was powerful enough, drove 40 miles to Bath to try one and was convinced. Done 4k since July and it's been great.

yes, I suppose newer cars will be more effective / efficient... as I had a 51 plate 1.6 focus which was quite nippy (99 horse power, then I replaced with a 57 plate 1.6 vw jetta - and whilst nearly 200kg heavier, it has 123hp - while the acceleration isn't as good, the petrol consumption is better...

If that's aimed at me then no I like to make progress but the car is quite happy at low revs and cruising at 30/40.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't ever use the words rapid or shifts to describe the 1.2 dig-t qashqai, 0-60 is 10 seconds after all. It's just ok but then performance is relative, my 420i is slow to me but then I had a M140i before which shifts and is very rapid.

Never having driven a qashqai I can't comment though I did look at one a few years ago but it looked to small to take my scooter so it looks like I was right. I've had Citroen's for the last 5 cars but they've all been diesel till this one and have mostly been happy with them.

We had a Juke Nismo which are tiny inside and we could barely fit a child seat in the back but lucky lease was up not long after baby number 1 so went for a 5 series tourer which I loved but the other half said was too big for town and parking.
She always wanted an suv/crossover and we looked at them all, some smaller then others. In the end it came down to lease prices. 1.2 dig-t tekna with glass roof on 3+35 @ £220 a month.

Back in the 70's I had an mgb gt, also had 2 young kids, not that comfortable for them in the back hard seat, didn't keep it that long though. Cars in those days were in the main very small inside but better than the motor bike and sidecar we had in the 50's, 3 kids in a 2 seater chair with Dad riding and Mum pillion. I must admit though it's very nice to have the comfort of a modern car.
Never tried a crossover though an suv may be big enough. Funnily enough my Wife would never drive the diesel C4 as it was to big but will drive the petrol which is exactly the same model.:p

but better than the motor bike and sidecar we had in the 50's, 3 kids in a 2 seater chair with Dad riding and Mum pillion. :p

Love it! Suddenly don't feel as old as I did on Wednesday, when I turned 70. Loads of families had bikes with sidecars when I was growing up in the 50s. Haven't seen an outfit for years :D.

It was our mode of transport, only trouble is around the mid 50's with all the family aboard the bike split from the chair and my Father died in the resulting accident.
This however didn't stop my Mother having a comb unit and riding from Taunton to London to see my brother and I when we were in boarding school, or my brother having a comb in the mid 60's with me borrowing it occasionally and I got a solo, my youngest daughter is also a biker so it runs in the family.
As for combs, there used to be a guy rode one here with his son in the open chair but haven't seen them for a while.
Sorry we've taken this off thread.:blush:

Turbo, so plenty of torque when it kicks in.
The misses has it in her juke, and it is not too bad, feels similar to my old 1.8 TDCI focus in terms of how 'nippy' it feels

The missus has the 1.2 Qashqui and it is nippy enough round town in 1st and 2nd gears. You notice the lack of grunt when cruising in a higher gear where you have to drop down a cog or two to increase pace.

I've a petrol 1.2 3cyl turbo Citroen C4 what used to be grand picasso and believe me it shifts, as good as the previous 1.6td that it replaces. Accelerates very rapidly and cruises effortlessly on the m/w.

Before I got the car I was like you, couldn't believe a 1.2 was powerful enough, drove 40 miles to Bath to try one and was convinced. Done 4k since July and it's been great.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't ever use the words rapid or shifts to describe the 1.2 dig-t qashqai, 0-60 is 10 seconds after all. It's just ok but then performance is relative, my 420i is slow to me but then I had a M140i before which shifts and is very rapid.

And that ladies and gentlemen is a great example of why context and a few facts are so important. It really made me smile.

I had the 1.2 in a Juke on Holiday last summer. All I can say is that it did its job, but when you go up any hill and have two adults and two children in the car, my got that car needs to rev and the engine screams. But it got us up the hill. Around town and on flat roads it felt fine, just about ok as a runabout to me, I'd never could call it accelerating very rapidly though...

Back on the original topic, without more details it is hard to say. I like both, I've had 2 Nissans and also 3 BMWs. But I think at those ages it depends on the car itself. I've never found Nissan parts particularly cheap though...

we changed our Rav 4 for a Honda CRV last year - about the same kind of money you are looking at spending.
Tried the Nissan - good car to drive, decent size and cheap to run but it didn't feel as well built as the others
Tried an older X3 - nice car, bit basic at the price point (features wise), drove really well but was put off by the potential running/maintenance costs
New Rav4 - this would have been my choice - we like the car, good size, well built. Not the most exciting car to drive but does everything well but my wife didn't want another of the same
Honda CRV - we liked the size, well built and lots of toys and a decent albeit boring car to drive. We ended up buying it and no regrets so far - wife hardly does any mileage (6k a year) and its been cheapish to run so far. I have an bmw m140 so not too fussed about the drive of the honda - its actually a nice car to drive on long distance family outing!

Hope this helps a little!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom