BMW Key Case

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Feel a bit of a knob even considering this BUT

Sometime last night my key fob must have got bumped in my trouser pocket which opened the boot of my car.

Didn’t realise until this morning and sod’s law we had our first significant rain in months. Swimming pool in the boot wells - luckly most of the trim panels are removeable and are inside now drying out.

Any way looked for a remote boot disable (I don’t really use it) but it appears there is no such thing though a dealer may be able to do something with programming.

The other suggestion is a key cover. The genuine ones are nuce but pricey, but the clones look tacky. So prepared to spend good money to stop this happening again.

My concern is about how much bulk does it add - is it slim enough to carry in a trouser pocket - if not kind of defeats the object.

And on a more serious note I have unlocked the car with a trouser bump before.

Anyone have one.

Cheers,

Nigel

If there's a mechanical unlock/release for the boot, you could disable the remote release via the fuse or if that's shared, by disconnecting the motor/solenoid.

Thought you can disable this in the iDrive?

No nothing in iDrive. There are door settings under Vehicle Settings but they are quite limited - whether central locking does all doors or just the drivers, whether it auto-locks when driving away, but nothing about the boot lid.

Did quite a bit of googling before posting here - lots of people asking the same question but only answer seems to be to code it - need the software and cable and need to know what you are doing - you can change the button press activations form 0.5 sec to 5 secs or more. Might try that if I can summon up the courage.

Cheers,

Nigel

This has happened to me a LOT. We've had the boot open, even the windows fully open... normally during rain. I used to blame "hackers", then the Mrs.. until she saw it happen as I bent over to pick something up (fob in trouser pocket of course) and her fob was indoors... queue me looking very red.

I've not been able to disable it, and the BMW service centres we've asked (two) told us it can't be disabled.

Personally I don't have the guts to try and disable a fuse or program anything... the car is horrid liability when it comes to repairs/maintenance (cough flat run tires cough).

have a look at carista app it comes with a OBDII bluetooth sensor that you can do a lot of coding to your car, used it on our 61 plate 318d and can code light flashes, coming home lights, drl`s etc and on a 2013 yeti to reset service lights and auto lock and windows open off fob.

have a look at carista app it comes with a OBDII bluetooth sensor that you can do a lot of coding to your car, used it on our 61 plate 318d and can code light flashes, coming home lights, drl`s etc and on a 2013 yeti to reset service lights and auto lock and windows open off fob.

I’m probably going to get one - just a little nervous that it can stuff up the ECU or worse.

How safe is it to use.

Cheers,

Nigel

well ive had a play a few times and nothing seems to go near engine type ecu mods, only convenience type of stuff- they were pretty quick on support when i contacted them about being a tester for the app so i would email them if you have any questions.
they are nothing to do with me and its obviously your choice to use but i have no bad things to say about my use of it

D2548E37-6FF2-4717-8DE4-98556D7A584D.jpeg
Feel a bit of a knob even considering this BUT

Sometime last night my key fob must have got bumped in my trouser pocket which opened the boot of my car.

Didn’t realise until this morning and sod’s law we had our first significant rain in months. Swimming pool in the boot wells - luckly most of the trim panels are removeable and are inside now drying out.

Any way looked for a remote boot disable (I don’t really use it) but it appears there is no such thing though a dealer may be able to do something with programming.

The other suggestion is a key cover. The genuine ones are nuce but pricey, but the clones look tacky. So prepared to spend good money to stop this happening again.

My concern is about how much bulk does it add - is it slim enough to carry in a trouser pocket - if not kind of defeats the object.

And on a more serious note I have unlocked the car with a trouser bump before.

Anyone have one.

Cheers,

Nigel
I’ve got one
I’ve used iron my last 3 cars
It’s an eBay copy not but it been great an still I good condition after about 7 years you get used to it being a bit bulkier but that than your boot opening accidentally happened once to me in the rain then I got a cover

View attachment 1067149
I’ve got one
I’ve used iron my last 3 cars
It’s an eBay copy not but it been great an still I good condition after about 7 years you get used to it being a bit bulkier but that than your boot opening accidentally happened once to me in the rain then I got a cover

Cool - so that is a clone - looks good.

How bulky does it make the key - still okay to carry around in the pocket without creating an embarrassing trouser bulge.

Cheers,

Nigel

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom