1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW i3

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Clem_Dye, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36,889
    I don't think anything is getting out of hand on here. We have discussed one car that happened to have li-ion batteries as it's power source going up in smoke. No over dramatics or hysterics. No suggestions that EV's are dangerous, it's all been very grown up. :D

Until we know the cause of the fires though, I would be very cautious about linking an EV fire with the many cases where an ICE Smart caught fire. e.g. If those were caused by fuel delivery issues, then that won't apply to a Smart EV. If it's a wiring loom that is shared between both sectors, then that's something else.

Heck, tumble dryers catch fire but I'm not going to stop drying my clothes just because a make I don't own catches fire :D

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    I agree IG. The point is more that any car haa a risk of catching fire. A car with lithium ion batteries has a greater risk of the power source catching fire - probably. At the moment this is nothinv to do with evidence of 5 cars out of five catching fire. As the numbers rise the chance of a battery fire is very much there - you canny beat the laws of physics :)

I have no qualms about my Superb - same as I kind of enjoyed 5 years in a Zafira. I will buy an EV as I said in a heartbeat when the range and price is right.

No intention to diss any car at all.