BMW i3 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Spooksta, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    With yesterdays announcement of the new battery in the 2019 model taking range to around 160 miles I was wondering what owners of current i3’s think.
    Ive been looking at getting a 2nd hand i3s Rex and am slightly tempted to bite the bullet and get a new one.
    But I presume second hand prices may drop a wee bit now.

2. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    We loved our 2 i3. Vicky had a 60ah BEV and I had the 60ah Rex.

Brilliant Design superb car, it was everything I ever wanted in a car, (Child of the 60s its what a car of the future was supposed to be), but after 45k in a year the small battery just got to be too much of a PITA having to stop every 85 miles to charge and being too much of a tight arse to pay for petrol for the rex!

I would snap up another but think with the way things have moved forward with batteries the i3 always seems to be one step behind.

My Rex was a 6 month old Ex Demo with 5k on the clock was fully loaded and cost £22k compared to £42k list.. I bought it just after the 94ah battery ones came out so the smaller battery ones took a hammering on price. And even putting 45k miles on it over 14 months it only lost another 3k or so when I sold it. So yes the 94ah should be good value a couple of months after the 120s hit the road.

It all depends on if the 120 real world miles of the 94ah will work for you.

I think I could just about live with a 120ah one at 160 real miles, (I reckon I could get 180 out of it the way I drive), but have sort of got used to driving faster again now with the Kona.

I still pine for the i3 as it was a stand out car in lots of ways. Will be interesting to see how used 94ah rex prices fair (Remember they will be hit for the enhanced £440 a year road tax as they were mostly over £40k list price)..

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Ouch. £440 Road Tax?
    Why?

4. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    The REX i3 no longer qualifies for free road tax since the Govt changes (April 17), (Its BEV only now for £0) and as the i3 Rex with any options now comes in just over £40k you also pay the enhanced Road tax from Years 2 to 6

Rex Registed Pre April 2017 £0 Road Tax
    Rex With Original List Price <£40k Registered After April 2017 £130 Road Tax
    Rex With Original List Price >£40k Registered After April 2017 £440 Road Tax (Year2-6)

BEV Registered Pre April 2017 £0 Road Tax
    Bev With Original List Price <£40k Registered After April 2017 £0 Road Tax
    BEV With Original List Price >£40k Registered After April 2017 £330 Road Tax (Year 2-6)

And Remember its the LIST PRICE, + Options, (Not including the Govt Grant) that defines the enhanced road tax, so if you get a car thats £40001 List Price you will pay the tax even if you haggle the price below £40k...

5. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Now I’m thinking of holding on for the new i3 Rex 2019 and getting it under 40k
    It will give me time to save. Sort of car I’d buy and keep for 10+ years. I normally spend 15k on a car every 3-4 years
    Absolutely love the look of it. We all have that dream car
    My fav car I’ve ever owned is a PT Cruiser mk2
    That was a marmite car like the i3!
    I like marmite
    (Damn. Just saw LIST price)
    Grrrr government sods
    I’m a big believer in road tax being put onto petrol prices.
    Gov doesn’t have to chase car tax
    Nobody can get away without paying
    The more you use petrol the more you use the roads.
    I realise there are people that would need to be subsidised but I think it would work....until in 50 years no one is driving combustion engines but I’m sure a bev tax would come in lol

6. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    It is a great little car, and I think will become a classic very quickly, for those that survive after the prices drop into the range of the Boy Racers who will quickly destroy them with damage to the carbon fibre shell.

Keeping one long term the things to watch out for.

Car comes with 3 years BMW Warranty.. After that you can extend the warranty with BMW up to 10 years or 100k miles. BUT at a cost of £1300 a year!!!! (Most 3rd party warranty places wont touch them)

The Rex has a lot to go wrong with it, like any hybrid (Yes I know its not a hybrid as the engine does not drive the wheels) but you still have all the issues of an ICE and a Battery system added together.

Small Production vehicle, novel drive system, repairs outside the BMW network very difficult until EVs in general get much more prolific.

7. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    2019 i3 will not have the option for Rex in Europe.
    That’s interesting
    BMW will still provide Rex option in USA and China

8. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548

They are nailing it down as a pure city car, even with the new 41kwh battery (38kwh usable). Making it twice the range of the original launch car. So 170 Miles summer 140 Miles Winter It really is still low compared with the way the battery size trend is going now.

I suppose its been on the market since 2014 and BMW want to move on..

9. stblob

stblob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    BMW are way behind in electric technology. Wouldn't waste my time with them sadly. I find the i3 ugly and the i8 out of reality.

10. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    Ouch.

I'm test driving an i3 REx at the minute with a view to replacing my 2014 Leaf. But I was kinda banking on being able to extend the warranty by 2 years (I'm shopping for a 2016 model).

11. Gambit1977

Gambit1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    We're test driving an i3 at the weekend after initially being tempted by the Leaf. Very excited.

12. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    Aaaaaannd... I've bought one.

13. Gambit1977

Gambit1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Congrats! We're testing both the leaf and one of these bad boys at the weekend...anything we should particularly note?

14. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    Is it the standard i3 or the REx version?

This is our only car and with the degenerating condition of the charging infrastructure in Ireland, depending on a 24kwh Leaf with barely 70 miles range is becoming a real headache.

So I've gone for the 94ah i3 with range extender. From the rest drive I've done, I seem to be getting around 120 miles on electric only (and I've been hammering it where possible) with the REx offering about 70 miles of backup.

15. Gambit1977

Gambit1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Normal. Our island is only 27 miles around :clap:

16. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,290
    "London" island or have you moved since you set up your location? ;) :devil:

17. Gambit1977

Gambit1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Guernsey, but competitions etc would constantly tell me my location wasn't allowed :facepalm:

18. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    I might get one if I feel I need it once I’m an i3 owner.

BMW i3 BEV trunk extension / Kofferraumerweiterung

19. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,290
    I was wondering what on earth the point was until I realised you could fit all your supplied tools/charging bits and pieces in there. :thumbsup:

20. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    Picked up on Friday, 330 mile trip home.

20181027_103315.jpg
    20181028_154037.jpg
    20181028_154528.jpg
    20181027_130931.jpg

21. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Nice, Still think its the best looking EV out there.

22. Gambit1977

Gambit1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I still love the exterior but sadly felt the interior was rather stark and on our haphazard roads over here the Leaf felt a lot more comfortable (the i3 had a tendency to feel stiff on the littlest of bumps)...we bought a Leaf.

Now I keep getting car envy whenever I see someone with an i3 :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  23. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    I enjoyed my i3 test drive but there were a lot of things not to like, like the £40k+ price tag. The car is overpriced to my mind for what it offers, but perhaps that’s true of most BMWs nowadays. The price is a bit of a cheek when you think aboit it — paying extra for old recycled plastic!

BMW always seem a bit behind the curve compared to the rest of the auto world, and I don’t think that the brand has the caché it once had. Had the i3 been about £20K I would have bought one, but not at the silly money BMW are asking for, for a vehicle with such a limited range.

Clem

24. GeorgeGx

GeorgeGx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That’s largely nonsense. Recycling waste is a social benefit, using carbon core construction technology, being the first of the German car companies to have a credible EV range, etc. I drive technology is as good if not better than other makes. People look to Tesla but there tech in many places it’s skin deep vapourwear (I’m on my second Tesla before I get accused of that).

The 40k price tag.. that’s a problem but knock if the gov grant, cheap running costs.. or just buy a 2 year old for for 20k

25. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    I just did!

Well £22k to be precise, but it's a well specced REx car with only 4k miles on the clock.

26. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Recycling may well be a social benefit, but in my opinion that should bring a reduction in costs, not a penalty. BMW is not the premium brand it once was, and I speak as a previous owner of four of their vehicles. The i3 is a good car, but it’s new price is simply too high, and it’s residuals can’t be guaranteed. When we looked at buying one the salesperson recommended buying on PCP for just that reason. I’m not convinced in any event that EV is the way to go. Hydrogen offers, to my mind, far more flexibility.

Clem

27. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    I've been hearing that since before I bought my first EV, nearly 4 years ago.

Meanwhile electric is growing like a weed while hydrogen cars seem non existent.

I don't profess to know the ins and outs of the technology but it seems pretty dead to me.

28. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    I think that it’s just the opposite — interest in hydrogen is growing. It solves the range/recharging issue — just fill-up at a hydrogen station instead of petrol. Filling takes a bit longer than petrol/diesel by all accounts, but certainly nowhere near as long as having to wait for your EV to charge, assuming that you can get to a recharging point in time. The only by-product is water. Sure, the hydrogen refilling infrastructure isn’t in place yet, but the same can be argued for EV. Kia and Honda have vehicles now, and I recall that Toyota is doing something too, as is BMW. Time will tell, of course.

Clem

29. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    Hydrogen and fuel cells are still a bit in the future for the masses IMO. EV have beaten fuel cells by a few years but that isn’t because fuel cells are dead technology. They have a few more barriers to overcome before the public (and those that hold out collective hands to make sure we are “safe” in our cars) will sit in a car with liquefied hydrogen in a tank anywhere in the same car. It will pass though steel (including stainless) and its explosive range is huge. It will boil off if vented or be pressurised as it evaporates. Only insulation can slow evaporation down. Reliquefying at atmospheric pressure requires cooling to minus 263 degrees Celsius at least. The fuel cell itself is another thing that the public won’t embrace with great gusto either. It runs rather hot - see above for the issues with any hydrogen that may be around heat.

Hydrogen production is something that needs to be set up to utilise fuel cells and that isn’t cheap. You can use virtually any hydrocarbon fuel (diesel will work) but need a step before the fuel cell to get a hydrogen rich fuel for the the cell. That reformer produces things other than water. Still better than same fuel being burnt in current tech.

Japan will be pursuing fuel cells even more in the future - they have hydrogen stations already and a national plan to use hydrogen for all sorts of things.

It will come and I for one would buy a fuel cell car over an EV when it does. In the meantime I await an EV with the internal dimensions that suit my 6’7” frame......

30. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +629
    I know it’s getting a bit off topic, but IMO the drawbacks of hydrogen would suggest it’s not the answer for cars. It’s never going to be a cheap technology due to the issues around safe storage (and needing to replace fuel tanks/lines after 10 years or so), so vehicles will be expensive. And the energy needed to cool (or keep cool) and compress at curling stations is many times that needed to recharge a similar number of battery EVs (or out another way you could support many times more BEV miles for the same amount of power/energy compared to hydrogen). So costs for producing a viable hydrogen fuelling network will be massive compared to rapid charge units EVs and need a massive increase in electricity network capacity too. I just cannot see where the benefits are for cars now that battery capacities for BEVs are now heading towards 200-300 mile range.