Question BMW E88 - Afternarket Head Unit & Reverse Camera - NO IMAGE

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Ash14297, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Ash14297

Ash14297
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

So... I’ve sucessfully installed a double din stereo in my E88 (which was an absolute pain in the a$$). Latest project is installing an aftermarket reverse camera since my Pioneer SPH-DA10 supports this.

I bought a BMW intergration one off Amazon that replaces the boot open button. Installed the whole thing today... low and behold I have no image displaying on the screen [​IMG]

Pretty simple setup

- Reverse camera has one long cable, at one end is a red and black wire (positive and ground), and the other end is the RCA connection into the radio and another red wire (reverse detection wire).

- Reverse detection wire not needed since Head Unit is connected to a Connects2 harnus which retains canbus functions (so Reverse wire is already connected using that).

- RCA cable plugged into brown CAMERA IN on the back of the head unit

- Red wire at the other end is tapped into the reverse light positive wire (black/purple wire), and black is connected to reverse light ground cable (brown wire).

Reverse detection is working because when I go into reverse, the head unit switches to reverse camera mode. However, I get no image whatsoever. Just a black screen with parking aid lines.

I have read that BMWs have a pulse voltage to the reverse lights that may not be providing enough power the camera - however, it seems In most instances the the image still usually displays but is very “flickery”. I have nothing at all which is making me question if it’s something else causing this...

Is this going to be a relay installation job? Or am I missing something?

Ash

2. gibbo52

gibbo52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I'd try the reverse detection wire.