• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BMW diesel swirl flaps

r collison

Established Member
My son has recently purchased a 2004 June bmw 320d sport tourer. We are aware of the incidence of swirl flap failure on these engines but how frequently does it occur? What percentage of engines have been affected? Is it 1in10, 1in100. 1in1000. In other words how much of a risk is it really. The car has done 89000 mls with full bmwsh.

un1eash

Distinguished Member

booyaka

read about it a fair bit when i bought my car.

Spoke to both my local dealer and a local indy who both said that you can do it but neither suggested that it was something they would rush to do.

yes it's heard of, and even suggested to be a "common" problem - but i wonder how many BMW owners out there run the car perfectly find without any issues at all that you never hear about.

i've not done it yet but interested to hear about other people.

r collison

Established Member
Yes, but is it really a common problem? surely if it was that common would'nt BMW have recalled those models with these engines.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
BMW will do everything they can not to recall a car, it costs them to much. They dont bother recalling E85/E89 Z4's yet about 90% of people that have them have had a broken rear spring.

The problem with the swirl flaps is it can be terminal to the engine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom