BMW 6 Series

DT53

Hi all,

I've seen a good deal on a local BMW 645 55 reg. It's £6490 which isn't too bad.

As a 20 year old looking to buy my first car (parents bought my last one) what kind of pitfalls should I be looking for? I'm not creating this thread to get criticism for buying a powerful car at 20, I want proper advice.

Any advice is appreciated.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
The 6 series is a beast of a car.

But ignoring that I presume you have considered the insurance? It will be extremely high for that car at your age.

garnat

Check the service history, get an AA/RAC inspection and you should be OK. BMW's are built to last.
Running costs will be quite high though.

What on earth is it going to cost you to insure it????

DT53

Check the service history, get an AA/RAC inspection and you should be OK. BMW's are built to last.
Running costs will be quite high though.

What on earth is it going to cost you to insure it????

Thanks for the little tips there. Very useful.

If I stay with my current insurers (Diamond) they will charge me £1432.06 for the year fully comp. it's a lot cheaper than I expected and it's one of the reason I'm thinking of getting one.

DT53

The 6 series is a beast of a car.

But ignoring that I presume you have considered the insurance? It will be extremely high for that car at your age.

Yeah I know it's a beast. The power is putting me off, because at the end off the day, I'm 20, and I'm not Lewis Hamilton but it would be a nice car to own - and if I'm careful I should be ok. I know my limits and I'm not going to drive like a lunatic I'll kill myself doing that.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
That's a damn cheap insurance quote considering.

Just be aware of running costs, servicing, repair costs that kind of thing. They are not cheap.

DT53

That's a damn cheap insurance quote considering.

Just be aware of running costs, servicing, repair costs that kind of thing. They are not cheap.

Yeah it is very cheap considering. From reading around I'll have to do some research - buying the car is ok but I don't want to have to keep paying hefty amounts keeping it on the road, and I'll have to test drive it to make sure it's ok, and to check the power. If I'm not 100% with what it outputs I'm not buying one - I don't have a death wish!!!

un1eash

Distinguished Member
It will be expensive to insure, have terrible mpg around town, expensive consumables and very expensive to repair. Due to this I'd only get one with a BMW AUC warranty.

Epicurus

Great car and I say why not. Just remember how relatively inexperienced you are. A rear wheel drive car with that much power is easy to hurt yourself in.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
You can afford to buy it. Can you afford to run it?

You've already got the cost of insurance which is good but what about tyres, servicing etc.
If something expensive happens to it, is it covered by any warranty and if not can you afford to fix it?
New exhaust, brakes and tyres won't leave you much (if any) change from a couple of grand.

If you can afford it fine, but be aware. Big heavy car with a large engine means bigger bills. It might only cost £6500 but it's a £50k+ car with bills to match.

rousetafarian

I'm sorry but that insurance quote seems absurdly cheap for someone with a maximum of 3 years driving and 3 years NCB, unless you live in The Outer Hebrides.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Seems about right, when I was 21 I insured a 2 year old Z4 for just over £1000 and I had 0 ncd and 2 claims against me.
When I recently looked at a 6 series I found them quite cheap to insure.

DT53

Hey guys,

I went to have a look at the car this morning. Reason it was so cheap because unlike the photos it was a mess.

Wasn't in very good condition so no go from me. I've taken all your advice on board, I think it makes more sense to buy something like a golf gti, then in a few years upgrade. At least that way I would get use to the power before upgrading and killing myself.

Thanks everyone

un1eash

Distinguished Member
What about a 2.0i Z4, there quick enough and easy to handle. The DTC and DTS systems when turned on make it quite hard to get things wrong.

gangzoom

Distinguished Member
The 645 is a £50K+ car brand new, so will have associated running costs....Most people who can afford to run/maintain one can also afford to swap to newer cars, hence you can now pick one up for £10Kish...Forget about servicing/insurance costs, a full tank of fuel alone will cost you close to £100 and your be lucky to get 300 miles before needing to fill up again o_O.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Expensive to repair. Will cost you a fortune in tyres.

ScorpionRS

Standard Member
I have a f10 and I love it. I'd recommend a BMW to anyone. They drive well and are well made.

Some tips

Tail happy. Drive safe in the winter and PLEASe get a set of good winter tyres.

Service and repair costs are BIG if things go wrong ( mine is fine as it's 2yrs old and has a service pack)

It's easy to get carried away with the power. So be safe

D

Deleted member 39001

I imagine the 6 series is one of those cars under the radar with insurers, most likely get bought mostly by older people who just potter around in them so probably don't crash a lot. But the main thing with them i imagine is petrol and tyres. Nice cars though and you can get diesel ones.

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
You can run cars like these relatively cheaply, it helps if you or a close friend are good with mechanics, use OEM parts rather than manufacturer parts, buy part worn tyres, use local back street garage for any work etc etc. Big BMW and Mercs etc are pretty bombproof so if you buy a decent one chances are you can get away with servicing and tyres for a few years.

DT53

Another member with pie in the sky idea about cars.

Sorry to be rude but it's hardly a pie in the sky idea if I can afford it. I'm more interested the running cost and will make an informed decision to as to purchase it if I wish.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022