BMW 5 vs Jag XF

rcoll

Established Member
Reaction score
Comment made on the Audi A6 thread (over 2 years old :eek:,).

Jag XF better than BMW 5? I was asking myself the same question 3 months ago and after getting a XF 2.7d for 3 days and a 530d for 3 days. I have to say in my humble opinion the BMW was head and shoulders better than the Jag. I was honestly hopping the Jag would be better. I read the glowing press reports and i had a 520d to change, so i was hoping to get something different that was better than what i had.

The price difference was insignificant ( less than £50 month same deposit). The jag was better speced but to me didnt drive anyway as well as the BMW. The most noticable difference was the pull from the BMW engine. After the 520 the Jag was a step up, but i felt the move to the 530 was much better.

The demo Jag we had look very well used, had a rattle from the glove box (which is a pain to open with the unresponsive "touch button"). The little lid on the drivers centre armrest fitted very poorly and the "thunk" of the back door was quite tinny. It just felt as though it woulndt age very well

Besides all that (maybe just an abused demo car) the touch screen interface was sooo hard to use, with out any tactile feedback i spent a lot of time feeling the screen trying to find teh correct button to change stations set AC or use the sat nav. The iDrive is much easier to use

Ultimatly i went back to BMW. A Merc E320d was a bit dull and very noisy in sport trim and the Audi A6 3.0 sl-ine was just too expensive on their PCP plant (£150 per month more!!)

3.0 diesel version comes out soon which I think is supposed to be quicker and more comparable to the BM. I'd pick the XF on the interior alone, i just don't like the dash in the 5 series.

The iDrive is much easier to use

You must have a later version then when things were simplified. I have the original version on my 6 series and hate it as it's so unwieldy to use

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom