BMW 4 series - stolen steering wheel

Enigma2k4

Established Member
Reaction score
Sadly, this weekend some bell-end decided to break my driver side window and knick my steering wheel. Very frustrating to say the least! My car is a 2018 4 series gran Coupe (F36), which I absolutely love. Its been an absolutely incredible car!

I called up BMW and the replacement wheel alone is £2,200, that is before I've even paid for the install, a new window or the tow to even get there. Very very painful.

I called my insurance company (access direct), despite having full comprehensive insurance, they don't cover the window (which i find very confusing, as according to them, its considered vandalism). Sadly, my excess is £3k, so it seems like a silly idea to chase them to resolve it as I'll be paying the same amount and making my premiums just that much higher.

1. Does anyone know of any recommended body shops / service companies that I could consider as an alternative? (I'm based in East London, E15)
2. I'm loathe to try purchase a second hand wheel as I'm then probably funding this kind of theft to happen again to someone else, what other options do I have? How can I buy a replacement unit I can trust is crime free?
3. Any other options or suggestions?

4. When my current insurance runs its contract (March), I will clearly have to look at other options, particularly some with a lower excess. I was stuck when taking this as because I am new to the UK, despite 20 years of driving history, they consider me a brand new driver and price me the same :-(

Attachments

• image (11).png
    image (11).png
    2.6 MB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Quite common unfortunately. I'd go for a used steering wheel from a breakers yard. Glass varies in price but again a breakers yard is your best bet.

Well I got my side window fixed as part of theft from the car a few years ago using Direct Line. I would phone autoglass and get them to fix the window and see what they recommend.

Personally I would get a steering wheel off eBay at around £500. You might just get you old one back. A £3000 access is useless if you can't afford £3000 for repairs, but I guess you realise that now.

I never knew a steering wheel would cost that much :eek:

I never knew a steering wheel would cost that much :eek:
There's a lot that goes into a steering wheel now. Some idiot driving on the wrong side of the road took out my wing mirror on my F40 M135i, cost of parts to replace are £900. The mirror glass alone is £311, cover £260.

Check out some Facebook groups for BMW's, they usually have someone who is selling their wheel as they've swapped for some M variant.

Sadly because of the cost of interior parts, thieves target them and they're easy to nick.
I'm fairly sure the wheels fit all models and as they've probably nicked the airbag as well, you'll need one of those too

That's pretty brazen if done on a residential street. I have all my windows tinted to help keep prying eyes looking into the cabin and getting ideas but obviously you are always vulnerable parking on the road.

If your front windows are tinted sufficiently to prevent viewing from outside, isn't that illegal?

The minimum transmission for front windows is 70% and windscreen is 75%.. I would have thought that (the legal) level of tint would still allow scrotes to peek inside!

If your front windows are tinted sufficiently to prevent viewing from outside, isn't that illegal?

The minimum transmission for front windows is 70% and windscreen is 75%.. I would have thought that (the legal) level of tint would still allow scrotes to peek inside!

My front windows are a little darker than that so technically not legal but I've never had any problems from the Police. Mine are probably closer to 20% all around. Even with 30% I think at night it makes it more difficult to snoop through windows generally.

The chances are the wheel will need coding, so it might end up being a main dealer jobby any way.

TBH, I'm not sure a darker tint would have worked here. They were looking for a specific steering wheel - probably to replace one where the air bag had activated, so the vehicle spec was all they were looking for.

I didn't know such high excesses were a thing, but then again, I'm not in London. How much would a £300 excess have been in your area?

I think scrotes might know your car has a steering wheel, without needing to eyeball it first!

Just watch out with the tint though. If you are involved in an accident needing Police, you might find your insurance will be invalidated - you would then find yourself in a whole world of pain.

Well I got my side window fixed as part of theft from the car a few years ago using Direct Line. I would phone autoglass and get them to fix the window and see what they recommend.

Personally I would get a steering wheel off eBay at around £500. You might just get you old one back. A £3000 access is useless if you can't afford £3000 for repairs, but I guess you realise that now.

haha, absolutely. I also wasnt expecting a steering wheel to cost £2400 🙃

I did pick up one of those super ugly steering wheel locks for when this eventually gets resolved

Sorry to read that and hope you get it sorted. Was it the standard wheel or and aftermarket one? It's getting ridiculous when there is significant money in stealing random car parts. Are steering wheels really that easy to steal?

Sorry to read that and hope you get it sorted. Was it the standard wheel or and aftermarket one? It's getting ridiculous when there is significant money in stealing random car parts. Are steering wheels really that easy to steal?
Pop the airbag out and undo 1 nut.

Pity the airbag didn't go off in their face when they removed it the ****s
The price the dealer has given will include the wheel, airbag, trims and switches which are all separate items which is why its so expensive, a bare new wheel is about £800 ish from a dealer

New wheel won't need coding as long as the slip ring doesn't need replacing, (can't see on your picture properly but it seems to be ok).

Plenty of second hand wheels for sale on Ebay from genuine vehicle dismantlers however they do not usually come with the airbag. These steering wheels are all the same on the 1,2,3 and 4 series so if looking for one you have plenty of scope.

If the controls are not correct on a secondhand wheel they are easily replaced and not too unreasonable on price for new but again secondhand are easily available.
Secondhand airbags are about £200 but if you are lucky you might find a brand new one for a similar price, the airbags are the same on 1,2,3,4,5,6, and some of the X series.

As for the insurance company classing the window as vandalism that's bullshit as it is clearly broken in a case of theft however your excess negates the possibility of forcing them to pay for it.

If you pm me your full VIN number I can get you the exact part numbers from the BMW parts system and I can also put you in touch with our club main dealer as we get good parts discount (you do have to be a member of the club though).

Last edited:
You got lucky! They usually take the iDrive system as well!

There's a lot that goes into a steering wheel now. Some idiot driving on the wrong side of the road took out my wing mirror on my F40 M135i, cost of parts to replace are £900. The mirror glass alone is £311, cover £260.
Bizarre, I had to replace driver side wing mirror glass in my 2019 G05 X5, Genuine BMW part from dealers set me back £150 ish if i recall correctly.

You will possibly have to get the steering wheel coded once replaced - a lot of the German marques do it.

£3k excess?? Ouch!! I didn’t even know they went that high 🤯

You will possibly have to get the steering wheel coded once replaced - a lot of the German marques do it.

£3k excess?? Ouch!! I didn’t even know they went that high 🤯
Absolutely no coding needed

Seems to be a thing
My Neighbour had their one stolen from their 2017 X1 on Sunday night
They did a batch locally as well according to local facebook

There was another in the cul-de-sac at the bottom of the road & one 2 streets up
Also the parents of a girl in my daughters school class had their one done too by all accounts it sounds like they hit 11 cars just in my area over Sunday night according to what my neighbour said from the facebook posts

Local police are actually putting a task force together as it's becoming a serious issue (Romford near me was also hit in the last few days)

I'd say if you have a BM I'd be especially cautious for a while now

I had been looking to buy one recently but will look elsewhere for my next car now & hope that's not the next target for the scum bags

Neil

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom