BMW 4 Series or Merc C Class Coupes

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Getting ready for new car purchase this year & have quite a few options in mind & I'm trying to whittle the list down but 2 that are causing me headaches are the BM 4 Series & Merc C Class Coupe

I'm considering Diesels in them - 430d or 435Xd vs C300d
Both seem perfectly respectable & have all the bells & whistles I could want (well if I can find a C300d with the Burmiester Audio they would do...that's like rocking horse poo in the Diesel)

But just wondered if anyone here owned either & could give their real world opinions?

I'm looking at 2017 Reg for both & will be used daily.
I have an 8 year old daughter & will plan on keeping the car for around 4-5 years so rear space needs to be suitable for when she's hitting 12-13 (based on this the 4 Series may be better??)

Thanks for any assistance

Some experience - in terms of driving I preferred the BMW, the Merc was a little bit softer which may be to your preference, so if you can get a test drive that might help the decision. I prefer the BMW interior but many people are the opposite, both are good quality, so looks are subjective and can sometimes tip the balance in favour of one or the other. Sorry if it's not much help but they are both good cars.

Both great cars and very exciting times in getting a new car!

I was recently in the market for a new car and the C class before going out hunting was my preference. I found the interior pretty average to be honest so decided on going for a 2017 E class saloon, huge boot and lots of space in the back. Drives like a dream and really happy so far. Managed to pick one up with a COMAND/Apple Carplay system built in which was a nice touch too. If you do go Mercedes try to get one with that technology!

With regular back seat use I'd go for a 4 Gran Coupe. 435d is a very fast car, I think if I was in the market for a diesel it would have to be either a 420d or all out 435d.

My last car was a 420i gran coupe
It was superb I loved it

Attachments

• 1FDFF0CB-E85B-4569-B97E-7210A42FD669.jpeg
    1FDFF0CB-E85B-4569-B97E-7210A42FD669.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 118
Some experience - in terms of driving I preferred the BMW, the Merc was a little bit softer which may be to your preference, so if you can get a test drive that might help the decision. I prefer the BMW interior but many people are the opposite, both are good quality, so looks are subjective and can sometimes tip the balance in favour of one or the other. Sorry if it's not much help but they are both good cars.

Have heard that about the Merc.
People seem to rate them on being a VERY refined cruiser & I'm not exactly into bone shaking rides anymore...had those when I used to tune cars back in the day & the growed up in me is liking a bit more comfort these days :)
Think both in Coupe guise are beautiful cars so I think once I've driven both it might be a heart rules head ;) lol

Both great cars and very exciting times in getting a new car!

I was recently in the market for a new car and the C class before going out hunting was my preference. I found the interior pretty average to be honest so decided on going for a 2017 E class saloon, huge boot and lots of space in the back. Drives like a dream and really happy so far. Managed to pick one up with a COMAND/Apple Carplay system built in which was a nice touch too. If you do go Mercedes try to get one with that technology!

Yeah love the new car search, it's such a fun time :)

From pictures the Merc interior is winning me over, the BM just looks very dated & bland to me...a friend has a 1 Series & the 4 doesn't seem that different in terms of style & build, whereas the C has all those swoopy lines inside & shiny plastics :)

I did look at E's as well but they just seem massive & my parking at home might make it an issue lol

Oh definitely aiming for any C I look at to have the COMMAND & Burmester Audio...bit like the 4 will have to Pro Media & Harmon Kardon (although I think if I get the 4 even with the HK I will look at upgrading the speakers...the under seat Subs definitely)
I have a spec in mind just need to see which I prefer :)

With regular back seat use I'd go for a 4 Gran Coupe. 435d is a very fast car, I think if I was in the market for a diesel it would have to be either a 420d or all out 435d.

I'm not 100% sure on the Gran Coupe, they look ok but I think the 3 Series would be just as good if I am going for 4 doors (or the Audi A5 Sportback even...wish they had more powerful Diesels as well)
The 435 is ridiculous when you think about it...313 Bhp from a Diesel!! lol

My last car was a 420i gran coupe
It was superb I loved it

That looks beautiful, what was the spec?

Thanks again for all the advice guys

Neil

Have heard that about the Merc.
People seem to rate them on being a VERY refined cruiser & I'm not exactly into bone shaking rides anymore...had those when I used to tune cars back in the day & the growed up in me is liking a bit more comfort these days :)
Think both in Coupe guise are beautiful cars so I think once I've driven both it might be a heart rules head ;) lol

Yeah love the new car search, it's such a fun time :)

From pictures the Merc interior is winning me over, the BM just looks very dated & bland to me...a friend has a 1 Series & the 4 doesn't seem that different in terms of style & build, whereas the C has all those swoopy lines inside & shiny plastics :)

I did look at E's as well but they just seem massive & my parking at home might make it an issue lol

Oh definitely aiming for any C I look at to have the COMMAND & Burmester Audio...bit like the 4 will have to Pro Media & Harmon Kardon (although I think if I get the 4 even with the HK I will look at upgrading the speakers...the under seat Subs definitely)
I have a spec in mind just need to see which I prefer :)

I'm not 100% sure on the Gran Coupe, they look ok but I think the 3 Series would be just as good if I am going for 4 doors (or the Audi A5 Sportback even...wish they had more powerful Diesels as well)
The 435 is ridiculous when you think about it...313 Bhp from a Diesel!! lol

That looks beautiful, what was the spec?

Thanks again for all the advice guys

Neil
It was an xdrive msport plus
But your right the interior hadn’t changed much in years one of the reasons I changed for the new model 3 series
massive improvement to the interior with the digital dash and large touchscreen with idrive 7

It was an xdrive msport plus
But your right the interior hadn’t changed much in years one of the reasons I changed for the new model 3 series
massive improvement to the interior with the digital dash and large touchscreen with idrive 7

Very nice, the 3 is a looker

I have found a 430d with the digital dash which makes a massive difference but it has Red Leather...and I'm really not a fan of the Red leather lol
It's a functional dash but just so outdated looking now on the standard ones

Neil

Very nice, the 3 is a looker

I have found a 430d with the digital dash which makes a massive difference but it has Red Leather...and I'm really not a fan of the Red leather lol
It's a functional dash but just so outdated looking now on the standard ones

Neil
I quite like the red looks better in the flesh than in pictures
I buy nearly new and the spec I’ve been after has always came with black leather
would have liked a different colour this time for a change but when right car right colour right price comes up leather colour is not that important

The red leathers nice when it's only the seats, not a fan of the lower dash being red also.
bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-interior-dashboard-infotainment-system-1.jpg

It’s worse when it’s cream extended leather. 🤢

I quite like the red looks better in the flesh than in pictures
I buy nearly new and the spec I’ve been after has always came with black leather
would have liked a different colour this time for a change but when right car right colour right price comes up leather colour is not that important

Yeah I think I'll give it a try before I write it off completely, it may be more subtle in real life

The red leathers nice when it's only the seats, not a fan of the lower dash being red also.
bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-interior-dashboard-infotainment-system-1.jpg

Lol yeah the under dash is a bit too much

It’s worse when it’s cream extended leather. 🤢

I always quite liked Cream Leather, there was a Petrol C Class Coupe I was looking at that has the Cream Leather & that looked really smart inside...that said with an 8 year old who likes Horse riding I'm not convinced cream will EVER be the correct choice ;) lol

Neil

I had a C-Class Coupe for a couple of years - mine was a C250d Premium Plus with all the trimmings. It had air suspension, which made it very relaxing to drive and ACC, which made it very easy to drive.

I found the 250d engine more than adequate. MPG was usually in the upper 40s (indicated). It was very smooth, coupled with the 9(!) speed automatic gearbox.

Burmester was lovely, if only because the silver-coloured speakers look much better than the black ones you get with the lower spec audio. Back in 2017 when I got mine, Burmester only came with the Premium Plus pack, and wasn't a standalone option.

The only downside I found was practicality. The boot isn't a bad size or shape, but space in the back is a problem if you're tall. I'm 6'2" and I couldn't actually fit in the back sitting normally. If your daughter is likely to be fairly tall, I'd personally opt for the BMW, which seems to have more space in the rear.

The BMW is a nice car, but I just really liked the interior of the Mercedes. It's just a nice space to sit. It looks posh, and it feels posh - there's very little cheap-feeling plastic. It even helps you put on the seatbelt, thanks to the seatbelt butler (it extends the seatbelt towards you so you don't have to lean back as far to get hold of it.

To this day, I regret getting rid of mine. The Volvo XC40 that replaced it (for 7 whole weeks) paled in comparison.

I had a C-Class Coupe for a couple of years - mine was a C250d Premium Plus with all the trimmings. It had air suspension, which made it very relaxing to drive and ACC, which made it very easy to drive.

I found the 250d engine more than adequate. MPG was usually in the upper 40s (indicated). It was very smooth, coupled with the 9(!) speed automatic gearbox.

Burmester was lovely, if only because the silver-coloured speakers look much better than the black ones you get with the lower spec audio. Back in 2017 when I got mine, Burmester only came with the Premium Plus pack, and wasn't a standalone option.

The only downside I found was practicality. The boot isn't a bad size or shape, but space in the back is a problem if you're tall. I'm 6'2" and I couldn't actually fit in the back sitting normally. If your daughter is likely to be fairly tall, I'd personally opt for the BMW, which seems to have more space in the rear.

The BMW is a nice car, but I just really liked the interior of the Mercedes. It's just a nice space to sit. It looks posh, and it feels posh - there's very little cheap-feeling plastic. It even helps you put on the seatbelt, thanks to the seatbelt butler (it extends the seatbelt towards you so you don't have to lean back as far to get hold of it.

To this day, I regret getting rid of mine. The Volvo XC40 that replaced it (for 7 whole weeks) paled in comparison.

Thanks for that, very helpful :)
Sorry to hear that the merc is sorely missed
I fully expect the XC40 was not a patch on the Merc

Seems that most of the reviews I watched on YouTube over the weekend comment on how amazing the ride & interior are but also mention how the rear is pretty cramped for tall people & as you mentioned it may be a bit of a squeeze when my daughter gets older - she's already 4' 4" at 8 years

Burmester is still only a premium plus option.
How did you find the command system, a lot of reviews seem to complain about it & all prefer the iDrive in the BMW

I do like the 4 Series a lot but after seeing the C Class interior it does seem very old fashioned lol
Looked at a 435Xd yesterday...along with a convertible 435i Petrol & they seem to be better for rear room

Think I'm going to take a run this weekend down to Prestige Cars in Kent as they have both a 435Xd & C250d Premium Pluss in stock so I can look at both back to back & see...will take my dad along as he's a shade under 6' so can plop himself in the back for testing purposes ;)

Don't bother with one of those old fashion ICE things, go for the future New BMW i4 For Sale | Lancaster BMW.

Ha ha no chance I'm switching to anything Electric anytime soon

The new 4-series coupe is hideous as well.

View attachment 1369329

Yeah that's pretty Fugly isn't it??
No idea what the designers were thinking with that one

Neil

Burmester is still only a premium plus option.
How did you find the command system, a lot of reviews seem to complain about it & all prefer the iDrive in the BMW

I haven't had any experience of iDrive, and the car I had before the Merc was a Golf Mk6, with a fairly basic media system. I found Command to be reasonably easy to use, though I seem to recall the odd occasion when I messed some settings up or chose something I didn't mean to and it taking a bit of time to return to how things were previously (hint: read the manual!). I mainly used the media-in capabilities with an iPod, DAB radio and satellite navigation and they did everything I needed them to. The wheel is a great way of getting around - I found it very easy to use and not at all distracting. The dealership did set it up to use with my iPhone via Bluetooth, but I never used it.

A lot of comparisons between the iDrive and Command back in 2017 or so did prefer the BMW system (e.g. Carwow reviews on YouTube). I wouldn't let the slightly inferior system in the Mercedes put me off buying one if that's where your heart is set.

Despite it being introduced in 2016, I think the Mercedes interior hasn't dated at all, whilst the BMW one I think does look rather old-fashioned now, particularly if you compare it to the interior in the latest generation 3-series cars (both the saloon and that hideous coupe). When I got in the car for my first test drive, my immediate thoughts were "this is special" and "I must buy one".

I'd rather have COMMAND or i-Drive over a useless, dangerous touchscreen.

Best compromise is voice control that does actually work, at least for simpler things like make calls and change radio stations, albums, artists etc.

I haven't had any experience of iDrive, and the car I had before the Merc was a Golf Mk6, with a fairly basic media system. I found Command to be reasonably easy to use, though I seem to recall the odd occasion when I messed some settings up or chose something I didn't mean to and it taking a bit of time to return to how things were previously (hint: read the manual!). I mainly used the media-in capabilities with an iPod, DAB radio and satellite navigation and they did everything I needed them to. The wheel is a great way of getting around - I found it very easy to use and not at all distracting. The dealership did set it up to use with my iPhone via Bluetooth, but I never used it.

A lot of comparisons between the iDrive and Command back in 2017 or so did prefer the BMW system (e.g. Carwow reviews on YouTube). I wouldn't let the slightly inferior system in the Mercedes put me off buying one if that's where your heart is set.

Despite it being introduced in 2016, I think the Mercedes interior hasn't dated at all, whilst the BMW one I think does look rather old-fashioned now, particularly if you compare it to the interior in the latest generation 3-series cars (both the saloon and that hideous coupe). When I got in the car for my first test drive, my immediate thoughts were "this is special" and "I must buy one".

It's funny before I got myself into the idea of a BM or Merc I was looking at the Mk7.5 Golf R (or Audi S3) both still on the shortlist but unlikely to be my next car ;) lol

Glad to hear it's not quite as fiddly as it seems
Worst case is if I can't manage while I'm driving I'm sure the other half could do it for me ;) lol

Yeah the Mercedes interior just looks so glorious & those seats look super comfy :)
As I said all being well I'll make a trip this weekend for a sit in both & see how I feel but heart is definitely in Merc territory ;)

Neil

I'd rather have COMMAND or i-Drive over a useless, dangerous touchscreen.

Best compromise is voice control that does actually work, at least for simpler things like make calls and change radio stations, albums, artists etc.

Fully agree with you there, the VAG systems look mighty dangerous to use in motion
I currently have a 2012 Mazda 3 & all my settings are controlled by buttons on the Steering wheel, such a safe & easy system to use.

Neil

had a mapped 435d - was a great mix of economy and performance. However the platform does seem somewhat dated, considering the underpinnings are from c.2012

options worth going for: heated steering wheel, heads up display, KAFAS road sign cameras, adaptive lights, m sport plus (so has the HK audio, pro nav etc) , surround camera, adaptive cruise

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom