BMW 4 Series Convertible or alternative?

sraper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My wife has finally given me permission :clap: to look at replacing my ageing Peugeot 207cc convertible.

So looking for something bigger and more comfortable but still a hard top convertible. Needs to seat at least 4 and have enough rear legroom for my 12 year old son to sit behind me! Problem with my current car is there is NO legroom behind me!

Was looking at the BMW 4 series but wondering if anyone can suggest anything else.

What should I look out for feature wise - obviously the Air Collar option could be handy but any other must have options?

Hoping to get something around 2 years and around £26,000 (maybe up to £30,000).

If your son is tall, then with the roof up, it's very tight. A friend who has a 4 series convertible says his 14 year old son refuses to get in the back as anything over 6ft is impossible to sit upright as the headroom isn't there.

He likes it, but said it's not as exciting to drive or as much fun as he thought it would be. Also the boot is very small when the roof is down

Vauxhall Cascada? It's a soft top, but it within budget new so you could spec the extra-insulted triple layer acoustic roof.

^^ The current 4-series convertible has more headroom than the coupe according to the brochure I have just looked at - 942mm vs 917mm, but it still probably isn't enough for a tall passenger. The front headroom is 1025 vs 1011.

Can't think of a tin-top convertible with decent rear headroom.

^^ The current 4-series convertible has more headroom than the coupe according to the brochure I have just looked at - 942mm vs 917mm, but it still probably isn't enough for a tall passenger. The front headroom is 1025 vs 1011.

Can't think of a tin-top convertible with decent rear headroom.
Yeah it comes with the territory. Headroom and legroom compromised.

Went to look at one today. I setup the drivers seat and then managed to sit in the rear seat. Was surprisingly comfortable.

Any special reason not to get a soft top? Is it a crime thing?
I wasn't keen on getting a fabric roof but we've had our Mini convertible for 9 years (!) and it's not notably colder than my hard top golf or particularly noisy.
Leg room behind me is restricted - I'm 6'2" but headroom is OK for our 13yr old behind my partner - I guess that's the shape of the roof. Still too small for the only family car.

I looked at the VW EOS, BMW 3 series convertible, A4 soft top and Megane folding hard top when I bought my golf but all of them compromised too much in luggage space and passenger room in the back so I bought a hard top car.

Any special reason not to get a soft top? Is it a crime thing?
I wasn't keen on getting a fabric roof but we've had our Mini convertible for 9 years (!) and it's not notably colder than my hard top golf or particularly noisy.
Leg room behind me is restricted - I'm 6'2" but headroom is OK for our 13yr old behind my partner - I guess that's the shape of the roof. Still too small for the only family car.

I looked at the VW EOS, BMW 3 series convertible, A4 soft top and Megane folding hard top when I bought my golf but all of them compromised too much in luggage space and passenger room in the back so I bought a hard top car.
Security is some of it. Just the assumption that it will be noiser on a motorway and looks. I think a hard top looks nicer with the roof up!

Saw a nice 420 mSport yesterday. Didnt get chance to dtive it but hoping to go back at weekend.

I have the regular 4 series gran coupe. Rear seats are just about fine for my 12 and 14 year olds who are both under 5 foot. But even they say it's not spacious enough - our 2017 Astra has more space in the back for instance. The 4 convertible will be worse. In reality, a typical hatchback has more space than coupes and convertibles.

You can't get a practical convertible. The Evoque convertible is good for space in the back, but it's a bit of a woman's car and expensive...

Have a 4 series coupe and leg room is fine in the back for short/medium journeys. My 16 & 21 year old have had no complaints on an 80 mile journey.
If you are going to get one don't get the 2 litre diesel- get a 430 or petrol

Have a 4 series coupe and leg room is fine in the back for short/medium journeys. My 16 & 21 year old have had no complaints on an 80 mile journey.
If you are going to get one don't get the 2 litre diesel- get a 430 or petrol
Thanks for that. Moving up from a Peugeot 207 cc so by comparison loads of leg room!!!

After reading around the consensus seems to be avoid the 2l diesel.

So far must haves seem to be
Air collar
Through load system
Sport seats

Whats wrong with the 2.0 diesel? If its a 2015+ it'll have the B47 190ps engine which is excellent. Before that it'll have the N47 184ps which does have timing chain issues but any of those fitted to the 4 series would of had all the upgraded revised parts.

Whats wrong with the 2.0 diesel? If its a 2015+ it'll have the B47 190ps engine which is excellent. Before that it'll have the N47 184ps which does have timing chain issues but any of those fitted to the 4 series would of had all the upgraded revised parts.
apart from sounding a bit rough, nothing I suppose but the six cylinder diesels are in a different class. I wouldn't want the roof down and have to listen to the 2.0l diesel. I drove both engines yesterday- wife has 220d (2015+) and I have the 430d and the 3.0 is smooth and quiet- the 2.0 is not

I had a decision a year ago. Get a 420d + options. Or zero options and throw every penny at the larger engine. Best decision ever because the 430d is a joy to live with. Torquey, fast yet very economical for it's size (40mpg, more on long journeys). It's a different car to the 20d variant

New 5 series looks very nice [emoji41]
Ignore you are after something around 2 years old

apart from sounding a bit rough, nothing I suppose but the six cylinder diesels are in a different class. I wouldn't want the roof down and have to listen to the 2.0l diesel. I drove both engines yesterday- wife has 220d (2015+) and I have the 430d and the 3.0 is smooth and quiet- the 2.0 is not

I'd take her car to be checked out then mate, my wifes 220d (65 plate) convertible is whisper quiet!

There is nothing wrong with it - but a very quick google on 220d reviews will bring up descriptions such as gruff,
isn’t the quietest of its kind,
The only real let-down of this package is the engine, which is too gruff under acceleration.
It's perhaps harsh to judge this engine’s pitfalls first, but as a barometer of excellence, BMW’sfour-pot diesel has slipped from pole position.

No diesel is whisper quiet (although the 6 cylinders are close) but the four pots are a little rough- not saying it's horrendous but most reviews pick up on it and it's like chalk and cheese between the 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

If you think the BMW 4 pot is noisy try Mercedes 2.1 diesel, its almost tractor like in comparison.
I really like the new BMW B47 engine in our 520d, it has more low down punch and keeps delivering higher up the rev range where the old N47 engine use to run out. Sounds good as far as diesels go and has a nice burble to the exhaust note.

Just seen an online ad (BMW dealer) for a nice 430d M sport not too far from me. Annoyingly I dont have time to go and see it until after Easter so doubt if it will still be available :(

If you think the BMW 4 pot is noisy try Mercedes 2.1 diesel, its almost tractor like in comparison.
I really like the new BMW B47 engine in our 520d, it has more low down punch and keeps delivering higher up the rev range where the old N47 engine use to run out. Sounds good as far as diesels go and has a nice burble to the exhaust note.
I have as I had a C250 before the BMW and it was no worse than the 220. The engine is much better in the 5 series and to a degree the 4 series- better soundproofing, more refined car.

Last edited:
I have a 120D (184 HP) and I find it a fantastic engine but it is quite loud!

Oodles of power to make it surprise to many cars but it's not a whisper quiet engine by any stretch.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom