BMW 335d / 330d

RobM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating coming out of my company car scheme as I miss owning my own car. I've been through a range of ideas and emotions and I've settled on a BMW 3-series saloon, definitely M-Sport, definitely with Sat Nav (as without it the interior is utterly dull) and definitely an auto.

What I'm not 100% sure on is whether a 335D is worth looking for over a 330D. Both are silly-quick in an effortless kinda way, which suits my driving. Both offer acceptable fuel economy, considering the performance on offer.

What I don't know is the difference in driving, performance and running costs in real life, which is where I hope this forum can help :)

Does anybody have real-world experience of either of them? Anything good / bad / indifferent to say?

Thanks in advance :smashin:

Assuming E9x range?

Sorry, yeah, 2006-2007 or thereabouts is the sort of age I'm looking at.

might want to do a search in the general chat forum for BMW

Will do, ta. Seems dumb having a motoring section if GC is where you find motoring info though :laugh:

Do you have any experience of the two models?

Will do, ta. Seems dumb having a motoring section if GC is where you find motoring info though :laugh:

Do you have any experience of the two models?

none but was shocked about the security issue

Meh, it's yet another internet-hype that does need some consideration, but nothing to get too excited about. You can find horror stories about most cars if you really want, that's why I didn't ask :)

What I'm always interested in hearing is the opinions and experiences of people who have lived with / suffered / enjoyed the cars I'm looking at.

Meh, it's yet another internet-hype that does need some consideration, but nothing to get too excited about. You can find horror stories about most cars if you really want, that's why I didn't ask :)

What I'm always interested in hearing is the opinions and experiences of people who have lived with / suffered / enjoyed the cars I'm looking at.

might be worthwhile checking out the BMW 335/330D forums

I have no direct experience of those specific models, but if you're thinking of around 2007 make sure you get one of the 'post LCI' versions.

In 2007 there was a mid version revamp, which included much more efficient and slightly higher powered engines.

As above, try and aim for the face lift version. More power, better MPG, better styling :)

Never driven one, but own a E46 330d, so a 335d should be decent. Get a decat and remap, and have some fun!

So it is safe to assume a post-2007 330d would be a better bet than a pre-2007 335d? Seems logical in my head.

Thank you both :)

As long as you get it fixed you should be fine. However, one of the members here had his BMW M5 nicked because of this security flaw. You can guess which forum the thread is in. :D

http://www.avforums.com/forums/general-chat/1754994-black-bmw-e60-m5-stolen.html

Regarding the bhp between the pre and post face lift, i think there is only about ~30bhp in it, so i doubt a facelift 330 will be quicker than a pre facelift 335.

The 335d has 2 turbos for starters, 1 big, 1 small, whereas the 330d has a single big turbo.

I was thinking more about the overall package than out-and-out performance, but I take your point entirely, thanks.

I was thinking the sacrifice in power (budget remaining static, 335d being a similar cost to a newer post-LCI 330d) would be justified by the newer engine and other such updates.

Trouble is, it pushes this from a ÂŁ10k car to a ÂŁ13k car... is the LCI upgrade really *that* different?

E92 330d Pre LCI here.

Cracking car. My average consisting of town, a roads and motorways is 40mpg. That's using the power of the car though.

Was looking for a 335d, but the 330d is nearly as quick and is more urgent. The 335d was just too effortless if you get what I mean. Price was a factor too.

Go LCI. Easy way to tell is big Mickey Mouse mirrors instead of teardrops. And the 7 button sat nav.

If I hadn't got such a deal on the 330d I'd have had the 335d. Expect less economy though.

Great advice, thanks. I know what you mean about the power being effortless, it's nice to be involved in the drive at some point :)

I was thinking more about the overall package than out-and-out performance, but I take your point entirely, thanks.

I was thinking the sacrifice in power (budget remaining static, 335d being a similar cost to a newer post-LCI 330d) would be justified by the newer engine and other such updates.

Trouble is, it pushes this from a ÂŁ10k car to a ÂŁ13k car... is the LCI upgrade really *that* different?

The biggest change to LCI cars is the better iDrive system. The pre LCI system is DVD based (CCC), and perfectly functional (I have a Pre LCI car), however the newer hard drive based iDrive (CIC) is obviously going to more user friendly/faster etc.....but for me the whats actually under the bonnet is the most important part of the car. I don't know much about the 330d, but a remapped 335d is not slow;).

Incidently you can retrofit the newer iDrive system into a pre LCI car for about ÂŁ1-1.5K in parts (ÂŁ2K if you want to add all the fancy internet options) if you do the install/coding yourself....I'm planning to do it in mine as soon as I finally finish sorting out the suspension bits on my car.

Was the 335d only ever an auto? Not 100% on that but something tells me its true. And 335s have m sport suspension even in se trim.

Mines auto with the paddles. I drove the 330d. Then the 335d. With the 330d there is a little build up and you hit your desired speed. The 335d I looked down and was already at my intended speed. I'd suggest driving both though.

Yep, auto only the 335d, too much torque for the manual box.

The boxes have a manual mode though, and as somebody has already mentioned, paddles were an option, don't think they were standard.

Thanks everyone :)

I think I've ruled out the 335d now, the 330d is more than enough (in fact, the 320d is probably more than enough...) and it should work out cheaper by some stretch, without really sacrificing anything.

Need to get out and start some test drives, that's where the fun starts :)

Thanks again, appreciate everyones thoughts.

Maybe the extra torque of a six cylinder engine will go better with an auto box. So how about a 325D instead of a 320D ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom