BMW 3 Series Handling/suspension problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cunny678

Distinguished Member
I have a 320d bmw which has covered about 90000 miles and is 7 years old. The problem is over the past two years I have noticed that although the cornering is good / level on right hand bends the car pitches and rolls on left hand bend. Have asked bmw and local MOT station about this but both say suspension is OK!

Am I right in thinking that the shock absorbers stop the car lifting up and therefore if the problem is when turning left one or both of the left hand side shockers may be the problem? Or is there something else I am missing?

The roll is quite significant - my wifes new Picasso corners better:eek:

Any comments would be appreciated

gamingboy

How about the tires?

Might be a problem there, or just a better set would improve things?

Low profiles would negate some of the roll I think.

cunny678

Distinguished Member
How about the tires?

Might be a problem there, or just a better set would improve things?

Low profiles would negate some of the roll I think.

Yes I thought thay may be a possibility so I bought some Avon directional sports tyres but it made no difference. Also, if it were tyres the roll would be there for both left and right corners:confused:

riget

Banned
Shock absorbers do what it says on the tin, "absorb shocks" so no they do not stop it lifting up.
If not suspension wear I'd go for weak or broken springs.

cunny678

Distinguished Member
Shock absorbers do what it says on the tin, "absorb shocks" so no they do not stop it lifting up.
If not suspension wear I'd go for weak or broken springs.

I thought thats exactly what they did! My understanding was that the springs give you the movement up and down and that the shock absorbers or dampers stopped the car bouncing through damping! Hence its the shockers on the rhs of the car that restrict the rhs side of the car rising when going into a rh corner....

Chris:)

Londondecca

My initial thought was the dampers but given the amount of time you have had the problem it does sound like a suspension fault, possibly worn bushes. Sometimes it is just easier to strip the suspension and take a look but given the mileage I would also get some new dampers as well.

Z

zelnik

My initial thought was the dampers but given the amount of time you have had the problem it does sound like a suspension fault, possibly worn bushes. Sometimes it is just easier to strip the suspension and take a look but given the mileage I would also get some new dampers as well.

Agreed.

Bushes will have gone to a certain extent by now, maybe not an MOT failure yet, but they will have worn considerably.

Also look out for the anti-roll bar bushes as they will have started to wear also.

It's more cost effective to buy a new wishbone with the bushes already compressed into it as it's a royal pain and labour intensive to compress them into your existing wishbone.

Shocks should be done after the bushes as that'll cost more.

cunny678

Distinguished Member
Agreed.

Bushes will have gone to a certain extent by now, maybe not an MOT failure yet, but they will have worn considerably.

Also look out for the anti-roll bar bushes as they will have started to wear also.

It's more cost effective to buy a new wishbone with the bushes already compressed into it as it's a royal pain and labour intensive to compress them into your existing wishbone.

Shocks should be done after the bushes as that'll cost more.

That sounds more probable, but wouldnt there be some knocking if bushes were worn?

Thanks

Chris :)

Z

zelnik

That sounds more probable, but wouldnt there be some knocking if bushes were worn?

Thanks

Chris :)

If they're completely gone then yes, but you never really want to get to that stage tbh.

I just replaced the bushes/wishbone on our E36 workhorse and it cost about 45 quid a side (from euro carparts)

It's a completely noob way of checking if your shocks are on their way out is push down (hard) on the wing on each side and see how many times it bounces before it stops.

If it's once you're fine... twice... probably need replacing within a year... three times lol.. :)

co55ie

I imagine the poor handling is due to the culmination of the wear to the shock absorbers and bushes . They may not be faulty or completely worn but a lot of play will have been introduced into the cars suspension. I would also check the cars tracking , steering and also make sure none of the wheels are buckled .

cunny678

Distinguished Member
OK! Thanks to all who responded. As I am not a dab hand at car repairs I will make a point of asking BMW to check the suspension, shockers, bushes etc when its in for a service at the end of the month!

Cheers

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom