BMW 218d Active Tourer

gibbsy

Solutions
Reaction score
My missus has done it again. Gone to look at an X1 and I can't get her out of a 218. Anyone got any thoughts, it's perfect for my aging body to get in and out of and with a full leather pack it's seems very comfortable. With her scares and worries of last year if she wants it I don't think I'm going to argue. It will be a September delivery.

FWD too, interesting.

A bit fugly, most probably the worse looking BMW made to date. I really like the new X1 but would have to get an xdrive as FWD and BMW don't go.

A bit fugly, most probably the worse looking BMW made to date. I really like the new X1 but would have to get an xdrive as FWD and BMW don't go.
Surely anything with GT in the name surely tops the 'what on earth where they thinking?' design stage

I think they are decent, we have one and after a 200 mile drive you get out feeling fresh as a daisy and not knackared.... got this as my old dad finds it hard getting in and out of cars and he has had to quit driving now due to illness
Others I looked at were an A class merc
Renault kadjar and megane polo golf
But the £500 deposit plus peanuts monthly payments sold the BM to me it is actually cheaper than the others every month
Insurance costs are very low aswell on mine compared to every other car I got quotes on
It is the 218i

I think they are decent, we have one and after a 200 mile drive you get out feeling fresh as a daisy and not knackared.... got this as my old dad finds it hard getting in and out of cars and he has had to quit driving now due to illness
Others I looked at were an A class merc
Renault kadjar and megane polo golf
But the £500 deposit plus peanuts monthly payments sold the BM to me it is actually cheaper than the others every month
Insurance costs are very low aswell on mine compared to every other car I got quotes on
It is the 218i
Thanks for that. We are testing one and an X1 on Tuesday. Very impressed with the interior and driving position, we will be having the standard seats with lumbar, I liked the sport seats but the wife found the squab was too long for her. Thought about looking at a Merc GLA but the electronic handbrake is in a stupid position.

We test drove one when we had a Grand Scenic and it was night and day, the BMW was far more bumpy and noisy. It was remarkable getting back into the Renault how much nicer it felt.

Although the new Grand Scenic is supposed to have gone the same way, upmarket interior but less comfort. I haven't been in one though, and if nothing else it's much nicer look at than the Active Tourer.

We test drove one when we had a Grand Scenic and it was night and day, the BMW was far more bumpy and noisy. It was remarkable getting back into the Renault how much nicer it felt.

Although the new Grand Scenic is supposed to have gone the same way, upmarket interior but less comfort. I haven't been in one though, and if nothing else it's much nicer look at than the Active Tourer.

Scenic was more expensive deposit/monthlies or I might have bitten

Test driving both X1 and 218 tomorrow afternoon. Pushy salesman, but I'm too old in the tooth to fall for.......'if you leave it too late......'

The reviews on the Active Tourer 2 series are pretty poor.

The reviews on the Active Tourer 2 series are pretty poor.

I wonder which fairy land these reviewers actually come from
Mine is only a 1.5 petrol 3 cylinder car
It carried 3 mature adults ( not lightweight teens) and a dog on various motorway runs
Easily upto speed out of the services no scarey moments with trucks cars looming

Around town its great

Manual with the start stop is a pain it does stall now and then until you are used to it pulling out of junctions. (This is my only gripe with the car)

Infact last month my son moved house, the van team he booked let him down so my buddy offered 3 hours he had spare in his van
The 3 of us loaded 3 runs then the rest of the bits were 4 or 5 journeys with the 218 boot space is great!!!!!!

I have done several tip runs aswell inc a dismantled metal double bed frame

I would happily have another same model but maybe will get a bigger engine if I do just to try out if taxes do not exclude the option financially

Oh,....... comfy in the back seats aswell lots of leg room as the rear bench slides back and forward; even pushed back the boot is big

The test drive of the 218 has been done. Not the spec nor the engine we wanted in the test car but what was important to us was evident, seat comfort, ride quality, driving position all past the test. Only negative was the A pillar with forward off side visibility but I can live with that.

The engine in the test car was the three pot petrol. Pulled well enough three up and the rear seated salesman admitted to being 18 stone plus and the auto box was sweetness itself. Not enough grunt I feel to get up the very steep hills where I live so the 150 bhp diesel is better suited.

Thinking of the 218d Luxury. Thought it would be overcast and raining this afternoon so we took the very pretty Cocker Spaniel with us only to find the sun shining in Swansea. Salesman was more than happy for the dog to come with us. If we do order one it will certainly be from Trainers in Swansea.

We also took advantage of the Mercedes garage to look at a GLA. Oh dear I don't want to bend too far to get into a 'higher riding' vehicle but I gave my head a fair old whack. No three pointed star for us.

@Ned Senior I found the stop/start somewhat trigger happy far more so than my Audi. Can it be disabled?

Stop start can be turned off but it will turn back on after restart unless you get it coded to remember the last setting. I've done this in our 5 series but not bothered on the 1 as I don't tend to release the clutch when stationary. Not sure how it works with the auto.

GLA has shocking rear head room, kept banging my head on the C pillar.

Stop start can be turned off but it will turn back on after restart unless you get it coded to remember the last setting. I've done this in our 5 series but not bothered on the 1 as I don't tend to release the clutch when stationary. Not sure how it works with the auto.

GLA has shocking rear head room, kept banging my head on the C pillar.
It's the same with my Audi, can be knocked off. I usually knock it off when pulling right out of the village as it's a sod of a junction and hard to believe it's in a 30 zone.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom