• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BMW 2001 520i speaker problems

sameerabedi

I own a BMW 520i 2001 model. Recently the right side speakers decided to stop working - there is no sound whatsoever from the right side
Took it to BMW, and the claimed I need a new head unit at a cost of £400.
I'm thinking there must be a cheaper way to solve the problem.
Is there anyone with similar problems or any ideas for the solution?
Thanks in advance for the help!

dts_boy

sameerabedi said:
I own a BMW 520i 2001 model. Recently the right side speakers decided to stop working - there is no sound whatsoever from the right side
Took it to BMW, and the claimed I need a new head unit at a cost of £400.
I'm thinking there must be a cheaper way to solve the problem.
Is there anyone with similar problems or any ideas for the solution?
Thanks in advance for the help!
i have a 2001 5seies and i have taken out my stereo to put in a pioneer stereo instead. i would reccomend that option, or if you want to keep it standard try taking it to an independant car stereo shop - i can get pretty good impartial advice from mine (but then again i have spent thousands with them)

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
You'll probably be able to pick up a direct replacement from Ebay if you're happy with the line-fit unit.

Don't know what's fitted to the 5 series but if anything like the awful Business CD in the 3, then take the chance to upgrade as dts-boy suggests.

sameerabedi

Thanks for the help. I have found a unit oon Ebay, so will bid for that and see if that works!
Unfortunately I will probably have to stick to the original unit.

dts_boy

i got my business head unit our of the loft to check - i had the lowly radio/casette fitted (why on on not put a cd player in a 30k+ motor?!) and it did some reseacrh on it. its a blaupunkt but they do also use becker for the dsp head units. speakers are nokia - absolutely crap and with even a half decent speaker upgrade the sound would be ten times better. i use infnity kappa 50.7 components in the front and kappa 52.75 coaxials in the rear. i also have a infinity basslinx, all of which runs of a pioneer avic-1xr sat nav headunit and to me sounds way better than any sound option i have heard in most cars:smashin:
maybe i went a little crazy but i try to justify it: i spend at least 18hrs/week in my car travelling for work so get to enjoy it!

Damien_Ireland

Standard Member
If you spend that long in a car you should have some nice speakers to accompany you on your journeys.

It is a bit crazy all right to put cheapo speakers in such an expensive car and only a radio/cassette we have one in my mothers KA but thats only worth about 5k at most lol.

Though the stereo and speakers have a fairly decent sound off them.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom