Blutetooth vs RF vs Kleer

Witterings

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm really new to headphones and have issues both I and my neighbour are trying to resolve so started doing some research and found some answers which raised more questions so thought I'd also ask people their experiences and which may best suit certain circumstances.

My neighbour's trying to get longer range so he can listen to music in the garden with headphones and I believe RF offer much longer range especially if there are obsticals like walls in the way.
Ccan anybody tell me how much this improves range over bluetooth which keep cutting out on him and if RF is any better for disntance than Kleer.

I won't bore people with why but I'm looking for the lowest latency possible ... ideally the same as wired but in close proximity i.e. 2 mtrs away max ... does either RF or Kleer offer virtually zero latency and if so which is the lowest latency / most comparable to wired?

If anybody has suggestions for either situation that has worked for then would be greatly appreciated as well.

I'm pretty sure that if you want the lowest latency your gonna wanna go with standard RF headphones. I've been looking into Kleer headphones to buy for that full lossless audio, but I've been hearing there is a little more latency in Kleer compared to regular RF headphones. I already own a pair of Logitech G935 that I believe are RF pair of cans. They have zero latency and sound just as good as some wired headphones. The only I had to do was change up the EQ to my taste for music. They sound really good, but I want to buy these Sennheiser's with Kleer to compare with the logitech's.

I won't bore people with why but I'm looking for the lowest latency possible ...
On this site , that would be exactly the type of thing that users want to know in order to help out.

"Kleer" in any case , seems to be a dead end technology wise , the only major suppliers for headphones using this proprietary technology either no longer supply them ( Seinnheiser) or are now bankrupt. ( 50 cent SMS etc.)

In any case , with the information I can scrape together from the very few sites still trying to promote "kleer" tech , it has a bitrate limit of 768kbps and "CD quality" audio is 1400 kbps so there was no way it was uncompressed.
Blutooths "aptx HD" and "LDAC" codecs either equal or beat it in terms of bitrate.

So you'd be down to RF and Blutooth , which is evolving at a breakneck pace and 5.2 has higher bandwidth codecs and low latency modes that rival most alternatives out there ,

So back to the opening line ...... what are you trying to do exactly that blutooth cannot cover ?

On this site , that would be exactly the type of thing that users want to know in order to help out.

So back to the opening line ...... what are you trying to do exactly that blutooth cannot cover ?

I play drums and use an electronic kit for practising evenings when others have gone to sleep with headphones.
I plug an ipad into the drum console to provide music to play along with and with wired headphones there's no issue.
I had a BT transmitter lying around with LL APTX (Aventree Oasis Plus) which I paired with a normal pair of BT headphones and the latencey was so bad there's no way you could play along as by the time you'd heard the music and tried to play drums "in sync" you were way behind and it was totally unusable.

I don't have any aptx headphones to try to see if they were the issue so I have to buy something and it makes sense to try and research and buy whatever's most likely to work.

Whatever I buy will need some way of taking the 3.5mm out from the console and transmitting it to the headphones.

For this use I'm not bothered about sound quality, it's about making it work.

Hope that helps but in essence I'm just trying to find out what wireless headphones would have the lowest latency so I can try some?

Last edited:
So for your neighbour - where is he streaming music from that he cannot access it in the garden?
Surely simply playing music from his phone will work? Spotify/Tidal/Qobuz all allow him to download music to play offline in case he has a poor data connection. It's the same issue as one normally faces when commuting for example. So any solution that uses his phone as a music source would be fine. There are a lot of wireless solutions, or dongles, etc.

Now for you - a few questions...
What app are you using to play the music.
How old is the iPad?
How do you connect it wired?
What headphones were you using to connect with BT?

For you probably a Fiio BTA30 with a 3.5 to coax adapter will allow you to transmit nicely, it's a fairly powerful and modern unit. Get from amazon so that you can return if you still have latency issues.

So for your neighbour - where is he streaming music from that he cannot access it in the garden?
Surely simply playing music from his phone will work? Spotify/Tidal/Qobuz all allow him to download music to play offline in case he has a poor data connection. It's the same issue as one normally faces when commuting for example. So any solution that uses his phone as a music source would be fine. There are a lot of wireless solutions, or dongles, etc.

Now for you - a few questions...
What app are you using to play the music.
How old is the iPad?
How do you connect it wired?What headphones were you using to connect with BT?

For you probably a Fiio BTA30 with a 3.5 to coax adapter will allow you to transmit nicely, it's a fairly powerful and modern unit. Get from amazon so that you can return if you still have latency issues.

He's using a Bluesound Node to stream music from a storage drive on his network, although if I'm honest I psoted this thread a couple of months ago and I think he's had a change of direction.

I'm using an old ipad mini 2, the 3.5mm goes out into the drum console. I use mainly Amazon Music and Youtube videos of live gigs.

The headphones I tried are the Sony WH-CH510.

I'll definitely have a look at the Fiio BTA30 so thank you for that :)

Last edited:
Hi all, old thread but it might be useful to some. I have been looking for a replacement for my Sennheiser RS180 headphones too. I see here in the uk we can get RS175 and RS195 still very pricey. I use mine with a pc plugged into the audio out on the motherboard. I have been very happy for 10 years now but they are falling apart. I spotted a video from youtube from a tradeshow for musicians. Yamaha have a recent set that looks very interesting. I post a link below.
Yamaha YH WL500

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom