blury shadows on plasma tv

honza1

Standard Member
Hi,
we got panasonic TX-P50V20BA last christmas. It seems to be good TV but I have one think I would like to ask you about.
When watching something like eagle flying in front of clif or runner in front of the fence or similar scenario of moving object in front of detailed background I can see blury shadows on the background. Only little "shadows" kind of like what you see thru hot air. I am pretty sure You know what I mean but I am not too familiar with corect wording for this issue.(as I am Czech and going in to some technical details and wording gets a bit too much for me)
I would like to know if that is something that I will have to put up with for live of the TV as the technology simply is not good enough to generate sharply detailed pictures (in shoots like mentioned above) or if I can adjust it somehow.

Please excuse me if you have already mentioned this somewhere. If thats the case Please give me the correct wording for the problem and directions/link where I can read how to reduce it (if possible).

Many thanx

And Happy Christmas

sadbuttrue

Sounds like phosphor trails caused by the longer than ideal phosphor decay on plasmas. Some people are very sensitive to it.

BJQ1972

Without more detail of source etc my guess is that IFC is switched on. Switch it off and it should be OK.

honza1

Standard Member
Thanx guys for trying to help.
My IFC was switched on so I just switched it off. I am just watching Obsessive compulsive hoarder on freesat chnl4 ( man that man is mad - full house of rubish top to bottom) and strait away I can see that movement of people on screen is not smooth (kind of skakey). And it would give me probably headache in a minute. I asked my wife to compare it ON and OFF. She can see it too. I tried to look at diferent chanels and ON option seems to be better in most cases for non HD chanels.( HD seems good both ways ) So for time beeing (untill all chanels are HD) IFC is coming back ON. May be I need to switch something else OFF or ON to make it work?
My settings are:
Vievig mode : Normal
Contrast : a bit up about 4 or 5 clics to right
Brightnes : a bit less up about 3-4 clicks to right
Colour : about 1 click down/left
Sharpness : 0 - middle setting
Colour balance : Normal
Vivid Colour : On
C.A.T.S. : on
P-NR : MAX

setup menu
Advanced (isfccc) :eek:n

Other settings
IFC : ON
Resolution ehancer : mid

What should be the best setting recomended by manufacturer or you pro guys?
I am realy sorry but I do not have spare £300 to invite one of the Pros to set all my TV to its best.
(If I could, I definitely would)
And after reading some of the material on this forum I recognise the skill. ( Its like golf - its actualy more dificult than it looks as there is much more to it than one would think).

Last edited:

honza1

Standard Member
Sounds like phosphor trails caused by the longer than ideal phosphor decay on plasmas. Some people are very sensitive to it.

Does this mean that some people see it and mourn about it and others dont care? I ask my wife - she can see it too but never bothered to ask me about it or mention it.
I think that everybody could see it.
I thought that the technology is not good enough to render images fast enough.But I am now thinking that it should be good enough to produce proper picture. Am I right there?

BJQ1972

What you are originally describing sounds to me like errors in the interpolation algorithm when IFC is On - the problem you have with it off sounds typical of the 50Hz issues with Panasonic's recent sets. Do you see the same problems with a 60Hz source with IFC off? Also take a look at the THX picture option and see if it is better - I believe that these sets have better motion with THX on, but you may be more likely to see the 50Hz problem.

deblee

Novice Member
maybe turn off both CATS Vivid Colour also turn off PNR, shouldn't make a difference but you never know
Also do you get the Clear Cinema option, that may help having that on, not sure what sources that works on (interlaced?)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I had a 42" V20, the SD was awful, after getting other issues I got a full refund. I now have a GT30 and the differance is huge with SD, the V20s SD is full of posterizing and false contouring, I also had like a pixel shimmering effect on walls.
First turn PNR off and res enhancer, IFC on the V20 is useless sadly IMO, didnt like the motion with it.

I may have something for you to try, there may be an underlying issue I found thats creating some problems for you, dont know if yoy have seen the posts made by me on the V20 owners thread, worth a read.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
What you are originally describing sounds to me like errors in the interpolation algorithm when IFC is On - the problem you have with it off sounds typical of the 50Hz issues with Panasonic's recent sets. Do you see the same problems with a 60Hz source with IFC off? Also take a look at the THX picture option and see if it is better - I believe that these sets have better motion with THX on, but you may be more likely to see the 50Hz problem.

I had a V20, SD had so many problems it could me almost anything going by what OPs saying. 50hz will explain some motion issues but from what I remember it was the least of the sets problems, 50hz material looks fine on my GT30, the rare time I may be noticing it is more than made up by the rest of its SD performance, V20 was simply awfull with SD in comparison.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom