1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blurry Picture on NEC XG110, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by schmidtsm, Jul 27, 2005.

1. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a few questions before I get the meat of the problem.

I am thinking of buying a NEC XG110 from a buddy of mine. He tells me that the resolution is 1600x1200. But when I looked on line it stated it was 2500x2000. Which is it. He stated when he increases the resolution on his HTPC above 1600x1200 the picture becomes blurry. Is this a HTPC problem? Or a CRT Problem? I was thinking it was a tempeture setting problem on the CRT. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks,

SCHMIDTSM

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Maximum resolution a bit academic. The best PJs seem to claim 2500x2000, but I've never heard of anyone using them at that res. Problem is you would run out of horizontal refresh rate and video bandwidth before you were able to use any worthwhile screen refresh rate. In any case, have you ever seen any 2500x2000 video sources?

If the PJ loses focus above 1600x1200, which is a reasonable resolution, then it may be down to the video card, or perhaps the cables. You would really need to know what screen refresh rate was being used.

I think most people would realistically recommend one of the HDTV resolutions for this unit - either 720x1280 progressive or 1080x1920 interlaced. Remember with an XG110 you can only scan 110 lines per millisecond, and the closer you get to that, the softer it will get.

Nick

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    schmidtsm, it's pretty easy to get hooked on specifications, but they don't give you the full story. In the CRT world we talk a lot about the 'sweet spot' for various projectors. This is the point at which a projector is drawing just enough scan lines to fill the picture area without them overlapping. Driving the projector at any higher resolution actually makes the image look softer.

If you can drive the NEC110 at 1080p without losing focus then you are doing well. Forget about any higher resolutions. At 1080p you will have acheived with an 8" projector what most people consider that only 9" models can do correctly; that is to display a HiDef TV signal at full resolution. :)

Regards

4. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot guys,

I am looking for a pj that will product 1080P, do you recomend that I look at the 9" crts or is the NEC XG 110/135 a good pick.
    I currently have an NEC PG 6 and really like it, I have learned the funcionality of it and I am very comfortable working with it and the compact size.

Regards,

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    What's your budget, and how would you feel about having a CRT that is a lot bigger than the 6PG?

6. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The NEC XG135LC will do it-cracking pj-my current 8" fave!!

7. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at spending 3,000.00 US on pj. I don't really mind the size. But want the best performance possible for the 3k.